Hellboy thread

Just finished the main Hellboy line and the main B.P.R.D. line and just wow. I had no idea I would love this so much.

B.P.R.D was a long process to read and had a lot of plot lines I will probably need to read the whole thing a second time to retain it all.

Anyway post mignola related anything here

Other urls found in this thread:

multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've been meaning to read Hellboy

Is it any good?

It's the comfiest monster tale around.

Its great, and absolutely one of the best comics of the vaguely defined adventure genre out there.

Anywhere specific I should start from?

Seed of Destruction is the first, but is written by Byrne, who overdoes the writing to high hell and seriously drags it down. I'd recommend starting with Wake the Devil and going from there, and go back to Seed at a later point.

Actually getting to read Hellboy and BPRD has made the Hellboy x Liz romance in the films weird to me.

Ok, thanks!

So did any of his biological family try to stop Hellboy from becoming how he became? It honestly looks like they didnt really care ( bear in mind I've only started reading Volume 1 of the Library Edition)

Yes, Midnight Circus is all about that.

I have an honest question before I start with Hellboy guys.

Did you feel confortable with the artwork from the beginning? I've read a couple stories and it's hard for me to love it.
Maybe if I binge it?

Not initially, it took some time to acquire a taste for it but since then I've come to love it more than other artist.

Hellboy isn't a comic like other comics, I feel like once you understand Hellboy like that it all kinda comes together

Thanks!

Once you read enough to get how Mignola uses atmosphere it really comes together. Its an acquired taste but once you do its one of the best.

I loved Mignola's art from the first time I saw it. Guy Davis's art took me some time to appreciate, though.

I liked it from the beginning. Though I felt spoiled by Corben's Hellboy.

I honestly don't enjoy Corben's art. I feel like the Crooked Man suffered from it.

Have the similarties of Devilman and Hellboy ever been acknowledged?

It sucks BPRD is on hiatus after that huge ending in the last issue

What similarities?

Koschei's miniseries is off to a great start, I could read a series of "Hellboy listens to stories in a bar" forever

I know this isn't /tg/ but I'm starting a campaign sort of based on Hellboy and I'm so excited.

I think Corben's art what made the Crooked man the cult classic that it is.
That and the holy-enchanted shovels. That never ceases to make me laugh. I even did that during one of MAGUS roleplaying nights. I was a gravedigger that had enchanted shovels.

What are the similarities? Pulp feel? Retro nazis? Gothic architeture? Folklore?

I would love to play a campaign based on Hellboy.

>tfw you couldn’t protect that smile

We're playing a game called Monster of the Week which isn't itself Hellboy-based, but my friend said he's drawing most of his tone from it.

i just picked up hellboy and the B.P.R.D and its my first one is there anything i should know ( my local bookstore only had 3 hellboy books and 2 of them where hellboy in hell so i grabbed the one i know is earlier in the timeline)

I love this. This proves Mignola to be brilliant.
The musical essence from the witches' tune from MacBeth combined with that paneling gives it such a beautiful flow.
Not to mention the colors change, you can hear it getting louder, building up to a crescendo, at the same time you know what's happening in the story, and people who read MacBeth know what the last line is. It's all just building on expectation, and the wild thunderous ride, up until the climax at the turn of the page. The paneling helps with this, so that you won't tire out, like after the first batch of ingredients Hellboy is in a vertically long panel to let you breathe before chanting again.
Then the most brilliant thing happens. The bait and switch. This cold something that Mignola does. All this time we're burning up from expectation and it explodes as we expect and it's lovely and terrifying at the same time, but Mignola had other plans when the he just turns off all the heating with the last two panels, and a cold and calm reaction is shown. It almost purifies you off the build-up. It's absolutely amazing. It goes from the rumbling red to this collect black and grey. You can feel it in your "soul" as this happens.

One of the best things Mignola ever made.
Wolves of St. August do similar things when the guy takes off his skin, too, or when Roger dies.

multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/

I recommend you look through this first before going to read hellboy in hell.

wait so hellboy in hell is before bprd 1952?

that was a really great write up, those sort of melodic sequences are why I love Mignola

Hellboy and BPRD have a lot of call forwards

Well I guess it's time to reread the series again.

They even give him grief about it in In Hell.

Yeah. I'm on my third read-through, still picking up connections I hadn't seen yet.

i feel so empty bc i never have such a reaction to mignolaverse stuff. shrug

You got to love how Mignola subverts expectations. You can even see on the Hell spread how much build-up the monster gets, and how much the little dead kitty cat. It's Mignola having a laugh at over-dramatization if you ask me.

Vampire of Prague is another great sequence. I love how Mignola gives a sense of time. Just drifting away.

Do you have the Iosif dream-sequence one?

James Harren is his own sort of amazing

He did some stuff for Marvel. Thor, I think.
Was in the storytime thread, everyone hated Harren, and during the Spider-Man, somethingsomething Magic flying land, storytime, the same thing happened for some odd reason.
Sup Forums, excluding Mignolafags, hate Harren's artwork.

tbf Sup Forums also reflexively hates on Thor now bc women are icky.

that was a solid issue, dude drew a good Kirby monster

people said the same about Mignola when he filled in for Liefeld on X-Force, no accounting for taste

Wait, what? I mean, I know Sup Forums can be a shithole, but that's just way too much for my delicate sensibility
Oh, definitely, they chose the perfect artist for the perfect part. You needed that raw energy that Harren can supply in abundance for War Thor.

people complained in the letter page or something back in the 90s

Does anyone have a link to the complete Mignolaverse? I had a very thorough Library as of a couple years ago but when most torrent sites blew up I haven’t been keeping up with it at all. If I can get the current issues it sounds like good fun to go back and reread it all for the umpteenth time.

Love this whole scene, build hype perfectly.

yep, proper atmospheric

Brosef is best boy

Hellboy introduced me to him, and now I own multiple collections of his stuff. One of my favorite artists.

It's a shame Duncan doesn't do much comic work these days. He seems to be doing more and more work in film.

I've loved Mignola's art style from the beginning desu

test

idk, I fucking love Mignola's art, how he does this darks and shadows and how he incorporate those medieval/ecclesiastical/babylonian(?) images into the page
Maybe it's not your style at all but I never met a single person who doesn't like Mignola's art at first sight

Every time I think I'm all caught up on the Mignolaverse he craps out three more miniseries.

Anyone else read danger unlimited or babe they do not add much to the story of hellboy but they add a bit the only issue is that it’s not called brpd it’s called brid for some reason

Its funny, I used to like Varvara, now I just want her to suffer.

I love Harren and it sucks that he stopped doing rumble, that was my favorite comic because it was Arcudi, Harren, and Stewart, they work so well together

Chris Roberson was a mistake

I was disappointed by the Visitor, I hoped to see more of the sci-fi of the Hellboy-verse. Should have explored about the aliens more.

Absolutely. Hellboy is one of the few decades-spanning comics that manages to say consistently good throughout. Even the spinoffs manage to stay around the same level of quality for the most part.

Mignola has always been one of my favorite artists. It might be different from your usual style you see in comics but that's why I love it. The way he plays with minimalism and shadows in his art is why it's so great.

Corben takes a while to get used to but there's no denying that his art fits the eerie tone of the books it's used for.

this issue was really good

Capefags have the worst taste, any artist that deviates from their generic comic style is almost always crucified.

It always amuses me to remember how I thought BPRD was going to be shit once Hellboy left but it turned out BPRD was my preferred series.

I kept thinking
>WHAT THE HELL would Hellboy do on this situation?

I feel like a lot of bad shit would have being avoided if he was there to punch it.

wanted to learn more about the Hem that are floating space from conqueror worm, instead got feels

It's great. Give it a go.

I can't say I agree but he might sort of an acquired taste.

bump

I'm still salty Mignola wasted Hell and Pandemonium as a setting, am I the only one?

He is probably keep making comics in Hell, like Koshei telling his history,there is a lot of thing that can happen between the stories.

There definitely should have been more to it then what we got. Hopefully it goes the waysays and we get some side stories.

All Harren is good Harren but my favorite sequence is the fight between Ben and the Wendigo. One of the best fight scenes I've ever seen in a comic.

There were also some people whining about Tradd Moore when he did that one issue of Venom.

It’s actually amazing how well the world is built. Use the reading orders posted elsewhere in the thread and enjoy.