Hey Sup Forums I was wondering what you thought of Gerard Way's Doom Patrol

Hey Sup Forums I was wondering what you thought of Gerard Way's Doom Patrol.
Be honest, don't just be contrarian.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AisAgnQlR9E
www104.zippyshare.com/v/8RwLFTFs/file.html
www104.zippyshare.com/v/YTTVe0Y0/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3zQ53oXITyk
youtube.com/watch?v=VSEcQ7QqW4c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WHEN I WAS

I honestly love it. I was a bit weary with Way but he surprised me. I'm excited for Milk Wars.

i hope they bring back the brotherhood of dada

pretty good so far

They did.

I’m ready for all star milkman

Boring

I really liked 1-4
Hated 5
Meh on the rest

Needs more references to Giffen's run. The bulk of the references are to Morrison's run, which isn't surprising. But Giffen's run doesn't get enough love.

>mfw the Doom Patrol were so fucked by all the Crises that they had conflicting and confusing sets of memories

A bit too derivative of Morrison's run but its a fun read, Im liking the pace its written but these hiatuses killed me.

The first arc is really really shit. The Allred fill in is where it starts to get good.

I am interested

Never read any Doom Patrol before it and didn't actually keep up/finish reading this run, but what I saw of it I liked. It was strange in a good way. I really want to go back and read more, but I forgot where I left off.

Didn't read it, the guy made godawful music and the one comic I read by him (the Sp//Dr thing) was just crap.
Dunno why on earth anyone would choose this guy to write comics besides that he's famous.
Hell I'd rather read a comic by Tom Delonges crazy ass.

Read like it was for somebody suffering from ADD while on acid.

First few issues were good, then it became insane, then furry.

Love it so far. Looking forward to the new Brotherhood and Milk Wars.

Yeah Casey fucking her cat was pretty weird. Rita when? She was already mentioned like 3 times.

I like it.

I went and read Giffen's run before it to understand it better and now I've gone back to the original run from over 50 years ago to get a better understanding of all things Doom Patrol as I work my way through its bizarre history.

It's one of my favorite comics of 2017. I love it.

When you look back at awesome comic runs from the past like Miller's Daredevil or Morrison's Doom Patrol and you think, "damn it would have been cool to read that as it came out" I get that feeling reading this book.

I'm reading through Morrison's run right now and I feel like this was what I wanted when I read Claremont's X-Men. Obviously not necessarily the bizarre shit, but just more focus on character moments/team dynamic than punching monsters.

it's morrison's run in a tonally different direction - the happy side of psychedelia, not morrison's doom and gloom

Check Umbrella academy, is pretty damn good and close to what hes doing here and also >judging by a one-shot

not a fair assesment.

So was anyone else blindsided that this Gerard Way is the same one who was the lead singer for My Chemical Romance? I honestly thought they just shared a name by coincidence.

He was doing comics before he did music. He had his first issues published when he was a teenager, but then went into music after having an internship at DC.

now its the time for BREAKFAST MONKEY
C'MON WAY
LET IT BE!

No because I'd already read Umbrella Academy, his "not" Doom Patrol comic

Morrison thinks bringing back Flex is a mistake and does not approve

>My Chemical Romance
by far the worst thing to come out of the 00's but in all srsness its kinda shocking its the same dude MCR were huge odds are he made a shitton of money

It's funny, he's regressed into the chubby nerd that he was right before MCR started. I saw a post today from the set of the Umbrella Academy tv series and he's chunky again.

I haven't read it but I like Doom Patrol and Gerard Way and I like them together so I'm gonna say it's great out of total ignorance and wishful thinking!

Why weary with Way? Umbrella Academy was great. The dude's original life goal was to be a comic writer and then 9/11 happened and his friends made a band. I mean, hell MCR gets a bad rap because the lyrics are actually well written and when applied to comic stuff, works out great!

>And I see you lying next to me...

>With words I thought I'd never speak...

>..Awake and unafraid....

>Asleep or dddeeeeadddddddd........

I mean it's powerful and uplifting words. Way has a way with words. He was just not in the right medium for a long time.

>the lyrics are actually well written

>Again
Post his pre MCR pic.

Yeah I wasn't shocked because I read Doom Patrol and because MCR has GOOD LYRICS... Just overly screamo kind of style. It proved Way could WRITE but he's not as good as singer/musician. He thinks too deep and too weird to appeal to normies too, so music would never sustain him in the long run.

They are. It's not my fault you're too shallow to see it. Or do you think rap's "NIGGA DRUGS SEX DRUGS NIGGA BITCH DRUGS SEX" is lyrically great? Way can write better words than most illiterate "artists" can.

If you saw this dialogue in a comic would you think it's bad? Imagine it's Clark talking about Pa or something:

>When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city to see a marching band...

>He said son, when you grow up, will you be the savior of broken, the beaten and damned?

>He said, will you defeat them? Your demons. And all the nonbelievers and all the plans they've made?

>Because one day, I'll leave you. A PHANTOM to lead you in the summer... to join the black parade.

Out of context those lines could work in a comic book setting and be poweful and feels-provoking. Way's got the writing man.

>Or do you think rap's "NIGGA DRUGS SEX DRUGS NIGGA BITCH DRUGS SEX" is lyrically great
I thought the rap is (c)rap people all died off. Weird to see y'all are still around, despite rap going in millions of different directions that would prove otherwise (much less assuming there's anything wrong with the idea of gangsta rap)

>Or do you think rap's
I don't listen to pavement ape screeching onomatopoeias I'm listening to the smiths atm MCR are shit music and lyrically

It's certainly not a comprehensive study, but my philosophy is that life is too short to read bad comics.
But yeah, I'll give umbrella academy a look.

>life is too short to read bad comics.

how do you even have fun in Sup Forums?
the best threads are about bad comics, while BEING storytimed.

>the smiths
oh god. Morrissey is a giant fucking douche

>t. non English wog

>gets told that Ways cringy lyrics aren't good
>immediately goes into defense mode and shits on rap music
Go back to Sup Forums and shitpost there, you literally have the same tastes as a middleschool girl.

The Cure were better

He's the fat kid with the bowl cut behind the lady with the mic a few seconds into this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=AisAgnQlR9E
There's apparently more footage of him asking a question but Fisher seems to be sitting on it.
Hart D. Fisher had written a comic about Dahmer, and this caused a moral uproar. Fisher owned a publishing company called Boneyard Press, and they are the ones who published Way's first comics. Eventually Fisher went on this show to defend himself, and Way attended the taping.

Well, I guess I should say Mediocre. I'm a big fan of The Room, so anything that gives me those vibes I can get down with.

sheet in the plaid shirt was it blow at made him skinny in just a few years

you know what, i like it, sure is not as good as the morrison era, but it was good, it could have been worst, we had worst, overall im happy the patrol is around again

i feel like we can be good friends.

Hmmmm.
Here's a good test
Trouble by Mark Millar: just unreadable slog, or the secret origin of Peter Parker, that only could have been conceived by an absolute madman?

Its actually a great character piece on the unfathomable youth and the dangers of not knowing that your partner shoots blanks.

its only being made better by shoving peter into mays 'gina

Yeah, I like you user. We'd get along for sure.

NIGGERS

SEX

DRUGS

TOUGH

SEX

GUN

NIGGERS

DRUGS!

GO BACK TO FACEBOOK.

I would kill for someone to find and storytime Gerard’s first comic On Raven’s Wings. Things been out of print for 20 years.

>Literally prefers illerate rappers over a comic writer writing song lyrics.

Why the fuck are you even here? You obviously can't read words. I can't imagine you have enough brain cells to rub together to understand what the insect looking symbols you're staring at right now.

Seriously man, this is a thread about his comics, and it was going civilly until you showed up with your long rants about how deep these incredibly mediocre lyrics are and then set up this whole rap strawman.
Just take it to Sup Forums if you wanna talk about music

>Seriously defending gansta rap in 2018.

I thought Sup Forums was filled with contrarian morons but you guys really set the bar pretty fucking low. user was right, Way can write good enough. I mean, he's writing comics and you're shitposting defending a genre of music that's retarded on purpose.

I wasn't even trying to defend rap, I was just pointing out that this guy is attacking a strawman because people don't agree with his autistic opinion about a starkly mediocre pop-punk band.
And I'm never leaving so either filter me or get used to me my friend.

Sorry people prefer actual words and sentences to mumbling DRUGSSEXNIGGA over and over.

Samefag.

I found them on libgen. I haven't read them yet, but flipping through they look pretty darn edgy.
On Raven's Wings 01 (of 02) (1994) (c2c) (Minutemen-The Unresurrected).cbr
www104.zippyshare.com/v/8RwLFTFs/file.html
On Raven's Wings 02 (of 02) (1994) (c2c) (Minutemen-The Unresurrected).cbr
www104.zippyshare.com/v/YTTVe0Y0/file.html

>bring up the cure/the smiths
>muh blacked
>muh ooga booga

what in the fuck

anyways is umbrella academy worth reading?

Cool, it's a Doom Patrol thread-
Oh.

I was weary because I’d heard about Fisher and Way’s falling out back when Umbrella Academy was coming out.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone get that mad about someone disagreeing with them in a minute, and around here that's saying something.
But yeah, I'm gonna give that Umbrella Academy a shot I guess, be nice if someone wanted to do a story time or something.

Looks like someone in this thread for triggered because a non rapper America used the N-word and ER instead of A. Fucking pathetic.

lets do the first ISSUE.

>He thinks too deep
lol

Ah shit man thanks

cause fuck it, its worth it for me.

The second volume of UA is better because he stops just doing a Morrison impersonation

Well you're in asshole who couldn't be civil. Its not about disagreement it's about you being a triggered asshole who goes to the mods if someone stands up to you.

whoops
>why is my internet so slow
>maybe cause you're downloading a hundred movies
>oh

I see so it starts where the watchmen ended

doesn't feel that morrisonian to me, apart from the obvious doom patrol thing of broken peeps.

Hahahaha.... Being banned because you got triggered someone doesn't like your tap music. You are truly pathetic tumblr.

all great stories do, before watchmen all stories were just OK.

>Just overly screamo kind of style
Maybe I haven't listened to all their songs, but none of Danger Days or songs like Teenagers are screamo in the least.

i love hargreeves for how little he's in it,
he was a fucking ass, but in small doses he was perfect.

FROGS
COME TO ME

Sweet! Thanks for this, man.

who can forget their
other hits like their christmas jamborees

youtube.com/watch?v=3zQ53oXITyk

This, and everything i've read by grant morrison, is made by people who hate comics.
Tell, tell ,tell, never show. Words tell the story and the pictures are just squares with puppets arranged in them.
The customers just rank the shit that flows in front of them and demand nothing.
Fuck.

>"date"

Reminds me of Century Babies from Ellis stuff.
Neat.

Did you read Multiversity? I myself am no expert on Morrison, but I felt like that was created with a great love for the medium.

>everything i've read by grant morrison, is made by people who hate comics.
Flex Mentallo is a love letter to everything about superhero comics.
How the fuck do you see anything else?

jesus, i hadn't storytimed in years
feels soo loong

and captcha being a bitch

are we talking about homestuck now?

interesting
tell me about the people you think love comics and have a better understanding.

good p-words there h.

youtube.com/watch?v=VSEcQ7QqW4c

always

Didn't see that one coming

>the worst thing to come out of the 00's
Come on man, I don't like MCR but we both know it's not deserving of this title.