What did you think of Ultimate Marvel?

What did you think of them modernising the heroes and making them more realistic?
Should they have used Ultimate iron Man's origin for the MCU?

Other urls found in this thread:

familyguyyourself.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why does he have horse legs?
does he have a horse dong?

Isn't Ultimate Tony Stark a giant brain in the form of a human?

Why is Ultimate Doctor Doom a Satyr?

The Ultimates and Ultimate Spiderman were good, everything else was pretty bad.

Ultimate Cap was an incredibly nuanced character that started brillaintly under Millar, dipped a bit with Loeb and Aaron, but then regained relevance with the combined efforts of Millar, Hickman, Humphries, and Fialkov which eventually led to President Cap which is a fascinating parallel to what we just experienced with Secret Empire. Having Secret Empire Cap vs President Ultimate Cap would be a fascinating fight. I bet more brutal that what we got.

I liked Ultimate Marvel overall. Post-Ultimatum was spotty, but the original idea started strong. At least it got a few years of being a solid alternate reality, and had another few good years toward the end.

>Should they have used Ultimate iron Man's origin for the MCU?
Took over 40 years for that movie to exist, would be a dick move to use shit from the ultimate version.

Doom has grievous legs.

Its proof that Bendis isn't as bad as Sup Forums makes him out to be.

>familyguyyourself.com
ultimate spiderman and ultimate xmen used to be great, i loved reading ultimate when i was in high school, ultimate cap had its moments

The Ultimate universe sucked ass beyond the first 160 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, and even then that comic wasn’t any better than anything you’d find in 616. It should have stayed dead and forgotten

Even people who hate current bendis (like me) know that he used to be good.

I want a full-on Doom Horse now.

Yeah basically.
Amazing Spider-man used the Ultimate Spiderman origin.

>Amazing Spider-man used the Ultimate Spiderman origin.
Yeah, one of the reasons I didn't even bother with the sequel.

nah

They used Ultimate Nick Fury in the mcu

Did the Doom from Fan4stic even have a PhD?

Oh God, that looks like utter shit.

>Humphries
Seriously? His Ultimates work was thrash and President Captain was such a shitshow.

I hope the Ultimate universe gets a reboot. I hope it's like the Valiant, Liefeld-verse or Wildstorm reboot.

No, he just had some dumb memory thing that allowed him to fap to his wife cuckolding him.

It had some good stuff and bad stuff

That’s because that was Past Bendis. Past Bendis wasn’t fully consumed by his black fetish and virtue signaling yet. Sure, he had Black Nick Fury has a mentor/supporting-character for Peter, but he felt natural and interesting. Hell, he even cared more about Ben Urich than Robbie. Sure it had flaws (constantly dropping plotlines for one) but it had heart and effort.

After Death of Spider-Man, everything took a nosedive.

It was pretty great until ultimates 3, Loeb shitshow.
After that, ranged from not worth spitting at, to barely passable.
Benis Spider-Man never appealed to me.

This is the page where Captain Fucking America literally hides behind children, right?

So?

Enjoyed it until Ultimatum
While it led to some interesting team changes and lesser characters taking the spotlight, they didn't know how to write them without the big names to bring drama/prop them up.

That said, I hope they decide to bring in the Aunt May Boarding House in the MCU. Peter/May/Gwen/Johnny/Bobby and Sue hovering around occasionally under one roof was actually fun.

It was great in the beginning, then started to get dumb up to and into Ultimatum. But man did it start off great.

The Marvel films (even the unconnected ones) have always taken shit from Ult Marvel

Didn't like it. Ultimates was intensely overrated, and USM was nowhere near as good as people make it out to be.

Reed should have won 1610.

Ultimate books were such a tease. They promised a lot, tantalized with borderline sex appeal and tried to convince you that the next issue will deliver. Flaws de Bendis were quite subtile and you can actually see, in retrospect, how they progressed up till now.

You're just reaffirming my point

if they're not going retro like CapMarv then the technology involved should at least be feasible by today's standards

if still a bit futuristic to be unique

the worst is when you have sci fi stuff and the amazing space fighter of the future had less capability and technology than a 1980s jet

I want an Ultimates: Golden Age, with a modern take on Marvel's Golden Age characters (everyone pre- FF4). Especially since they keep tying them to WW2, it would be cool to see what Captain America, Human Torch, Namor, Aarkus, etc look like in a modern 9/11, Iraq War, tech revolution world. We always get stories of Cap being frozen in ice and misplaced in time, but what about him being created for the Iraq War, where the war went on and enemies were vaguely defined?

>Should they have used Ultimate iron Man's origin for the MCU?

Nah, Iron Man 1 was prob the greatest origin story movie ever

>What did you think of them modernising the heroes and making them more realistic?

it helped in the long run for adaptations, but I hate how it screwed over anyone who wasn't Avengers/Spidey/X-men/FF4. Doctor Strange and all of the street level characters were shit.

bump

I know it's a douchey move and something that 616 Cap would never even imagine doing but it made sense... in a douchey way. Rhodey was a dick but he was still military and they both knew Rhodey wasn't going to fire on him with innocents around.

>modernising the heroes
It was good.

>making them more realistic
ha no
It was just at a lower power level.

>Nah, Iron Man 1 was prob the greatest origin story movie ever
Holy shit KEK

name one that was better

>What did you think of them modernizing the heroes and making them more realistic?
A nice idea for its time, but ironically showed its age and buckled under its own weight as it went on.

And wasn't Orson Scott Card's mini later retcon'd as bullshit? Millar's "living on borrowed time cause brain cancer" take on Tony was simpler than "my entire body is brain tissue"

Sam Raimi's spiderman and Shyamalans Unbreakeble off the top of my head.

This user was right though, they felt more like real people, thus more realistic.
I liked it but I understand faggots who didn't.
But I don't need to read about paragons.

Millar tried to wave it off, there was a reference about it being a TV show.

That's because he had the benefit of having the groundwork of Ultimate Spider-Man laid out for him years before he had the idea for an outline.

Almost the entire run was made of reconstructed Spider-Man stories. Which isn't too bad considering it allowed him time to plot out relationships and unique stories to spin the mythos. However, some of those stories either end abruptly with a Deus ex Machina or not at all.

Without the safety net of adaptation, Bendis' habits are easier to see: shitting on things he doesn't like, character interactions that seldom go anywhere, unsatisfactory endings, and the occasional weirdly sexual Claremont-esque plot twist.

Bendis' just isn't good at plotting stories. He can present both dumb and interesting concepts, but he isn't creative enough to follow them through. Sometimes, he'll even avoid it. He's always been like that.

It seemed more pessimist than realist to me.

Do people just remember Ultimate Spider-Man fondly because it came out during OMD? Because that was the only place people could find a "classic"-style Spider-Man story where MJ was still on the board for romance?

Because it's not as good as everyone says it is.

Ultimate Spiderman started years before OMD

> He's always been like that
Yep. jinx, for example is a retelling of the Good the Bad and the Ugly.

>I'm thinking of getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but I think it'll be worth it.

I didn't like it because it's the same kind of crap we're getting in mainline Marvel right now.

It's rare to find a genuine friendship between two characters these days. Everyone seems to get annoyed by everyone.

What the fuck is he good at.
Not plotting, not high concepts, not dialogue, not the general narrative.
He just found an audience for his trash banter and heavy handed teen drama.

But it was going on during it, right?

nope. That was retconned to be a weirdass tv show.

Good ideas, shit execution.

Which I guess could be extended to everything Marvvel does now.

havent seen Unbreakable, but Sam Raimi's Spiderman is good, but it wasnt as faithful or developing of Peter as Iron Man was of Tony.

Batman begins is better

>"classic"-style Spider-Man story where MJ was still on the board for romance?

Have you read it? He dumps MJ for Kitty Pryde. Nobody is reading it because they like MJ, Gwen was a much better character then her in it also.

They just wanted a black guy in the roster, we all know hasselhoff fury would have been way way better

But this came out before the movie, it's like they planned it all along.

I'll admit, it's been a while.

That would legitimately be interesting.

A propaganda Super Soldier in a war that's not as clear-cut or easily defined as World War II. A war where a substantial portion of the world is either neutral or openly critical of the US.

This would likely be a more xenophobic and chauvinist Captain, as he's fighting not genocidal Nazis (and so the values he espouses in contrast are explicitly liberal and open) but some Muslim terrorists in the middle of nowhere. If your enemy is of a different race and religion it's VERY easy to turn them into an "other".

I can see that Cap growing disillusioned with the mismanaged occupation, never-ending insurgencies, a population that hates them instead of treating them as liberators, a domestic populace that's growing more war-weary by the month...

He comes back to the US, gets a GOP ticker tape parade and a scathing indictment by the left-leaning media. The government wants to 're-task' him for other missions, as there's no use in having him play wack-a-mole with some desert rebels armed with AKs and religious zeal. The GOP loses the election as in OTL and the Democratic President officially retires him, as the voter base is against human soldiers, making him an "Ambassador for Peace" or whatnot.

He spends his time at USO events and as a keynote speaker for whoever is feeling patriotic these days, but he just gets more and more withdrawn as the days pass. Years spent over there start feeling pointless. Veterans get shit care. The fat cats grow fatter while regular families lose their homes in the financial crisis. Nothing seems to change, except for the worse.

Someone needs to take this country back.

Someone needs to show them people are still willing to fight for the American Dream.

Someone needs to PUNISH those responsible.

Meant to say the voter base is against SUPER soldiers lol

Did anyone like Ultimate X-Men? I'm conflicted about it, parts of it were enjoyable but parts were really dumb.

Where do you think the "Millar writes movie scripts, not comics" meme comes from?

>Do people just remember Ultimate Spider-Man fondly because it came out during OMD?

Are you dense or new?

Millar actually planned on having Ultimate Captain America tied to Iraq War instead of WWII but Quesada convinced him not to use the WWII origin instead.

Venom and Dr. Steven seem okay with each other.

Jesus shit Scott looks terrible.

I'll read an elseworld about this. Or what if series. Adult tho. No kiddie shit

exactly. An version of Captain America would be a fresh story since it would be a look at what a modern version would be.

Plus with advanced robotics and AI, what would Human Torch, Dynamic Man or Flexo the Rubber Man look like? How would Namor deal with the rest of the world if he emerged now instead of way back then? How would the Invaders/All Winners Squad look like/operate? What would the magic and cosmic scene look like?

Would be dope to see and a good utilization of Marvel's Golden Age characters that are just sitting around.

The first issues had dialogue that really didn't work for me. I felt they were trying to be serious but it was corny as hell, which really kept me from having fun. Still, after Proteus showed up I think it really picked up.

Ultimate Fury was based off of Sam Jackson, who agreed to lend his likeness on the condition that he be casted as Fury in any future movies.

Ultimate X-Men was kinda terrible but sometimes a bit addicting to follow.

It's the kind of run-on, "tough guy" dialogue that Millar kept trying to do to make most of his characters sound badass.