Why 80's animation looks vaguely like anime?

Why 80's animation looks vaguely like anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M7VS-ZoeMqs
youtube.com/watch?v=edt5j_3wgJg
youtube.com/watch?v=Wme3qkKB2po
youtube.com/watch?v=h2e8Fbiawtg
youtube.com/watch?v=pS5xwYsDjZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Ronald Reagan.

Why do you think retard?

Anime itself copied element's of western cartoons, and diverged more over time. If anything anime looked like 80's cartoons

>If anything anime looked like 80's cartoons
Oh yeah, can't see the difference.

Toei did most of the animation

1. Japan was animating it
2. Floof

Screw the Holograms. I want to make out with Roxy.

She'd punch you in the fa-

Nevermind, you're right.

I read somewhere that the guy who created Tenchi Muyo worked as an animator on 80's Thundercats.

I'd let her punch me

Toei and TMS did a lot of american shows back then.

youtube.com/watch?v=M7VS-ZoeMqs

>The animation for most of the episodes was provided by Japanese animation studio Toei Doga (Toei Animation).[7]

This is in the second paragraph of the wiki entry for Jem.

Anime? They look like they were trying to mimic comic book designs to me. And they have big hair because that was the 80's, not cause of anime.

I love the wild hair and fashion styles of the 80s

The last good decade

Me too

The 90s killed fun forever and now we're stuck in eternal edginess and snarky cynicism

So a lot of 80's cartoons are *technically* anime?
Like, we unknowingly were weeaboos all this time?

The 2000's killed edge. We're currently stuck in listless mediocrity and safety nets.

It was the beginning of out sourcing animation to Korea/Japan.

And the nu10's sinked us into... you know...

Good thing that us channers are the saviors of civilization

This, you can almost see the 'gundam faces'.

Paul Stanley could wear anything and still look good.

American studios regularly farmed the work out to East Asian animation studios. They still do, actually.

Yeah, the 80's were magical.

The 80's did nothing wrong.

American Cartoons, Japanese Anime, All made in Korea

They only made openings so no

They animated more than just openings, bro

Because all animation in the 80s, japanese or otherwise was being done by the same dozen or so animation studios in Korea and Japan.

Exception: Filmation. They worked their hardest to avoid outsourcing, which is why their shows are so heavily reliant on stock footage-- they refused to outsource to cheaper labor.

>He-Man running towards the camera at an angle.gif

You don't have to outsource your animation if nothing is actually animated.

if i remember right there is a jem poster in the background of an episode of zeta gundam. in a hong kong spaceport i think.

LOTS of tojos worked on Thundercats; a lot of them went on to join Studio Ghibli.

I wish we had more comprehensive guides about who worked on which episodes of western shows.

I refuse to believe anyone finds this good.

We live in 30-year cycles. The 1980s sought a renaissance of the 1950s, you know.

The 2010s have seen a repeat of a number of socio-cultural and scientific concepts and ideas similar if not identical to those of the 80s. War, disease, pop culture franchises, fads, the whole nine yards. We even have a celebrity President again.

So, the question stands: Why did the 2010s version of "Jem and the Holograms" have to be such outrageously bullshit?

This has to be the most casual Millenial question you can ask on Sup Forums.

Some of the same Japanese animators did the Rankin and Bass Lord of the Rings movies

youtube.com/watch?v=edt5j_3wgJg

For Jem at least, Toei animation animated it (known for Sailor Moon and Dragonball)

ALSO fun fact, when Sunbow Productions approached Toei to animated Jem, Toei made a little promo in anime style but Sunbow and Hasbro didn't like it and told them to make it in the style of western cartoons instead. Hasbro used snippets from the anime short for toy commercials seen here:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wme3qkKB2po
and
youtube.com/watch?v=h2e8Fbiawtg

>Why did the 2010s version of "Jem and the Holograms" have to be such outrageously bullshit?

Because it wasn't made for you and thus you feel deprived of something to which you believed you were entitled? I mean, just a shot in the dark there.

>tripfag thinks his opinion is worth anything
Every time.

Outrageous.

Yup almost all done in South Korea though, not Japan

>socio-cultural concepts and ideas similar if not identical to those of the 80s.
That's bullshit.
If anything, this era of socio-cultural nonsense resembles more the late-60's and the majority of the 70's went it comes to social and cultural concepts.
The concerns, issues, fears, concepts and the general socio-political environment of the nu10's closely mirrors those present in the blend between the "flower power years" and the disco or "it's all about me" era. Sure, the "villains" may be different, but the values and standards are still the same.

Inept and erratic concepts of justice and fairness began swinging left and right, taking advantage of the *newly discovered* freedom of identity of people, grouping them into social "cliques" and ironically stripping them from their freedom of identity. This alone created this "us vs them" environment that persist within our current society.

But the reason was because nobody gives a shit about Jem anymore, so absolutely no effort went into the movie. It was obvious they were just trying to cash in that 80's nostalgia and nothing more.

I just want Kimber and Stormer to lez out while also not resembling a meatball on a toothpick. Is that too much to ask for?

I just wanted an adaptation of the series, right down to the murder plots and time travel. Is that too much to ask for?

>Is that too much to ask for?
YES.
Unless you have 50 million + marketing expenses and licensing to finance it yourself.

>$50 million
You could probably do it for less.

The problem was not only that the script was awful, but they only had $5 million to make the movie. Blumhouse learned the hard way that low budgets only really work for horror movies where nobody cares about actual quality.

>Is that too much to ask for?

Ask for? No. Expect as if the movie or the comic had to cater to you and you alone, had to make you happy at the expense of what anyone and everyone else may or may not have wanted out of said movie or said comic? Abso-fuckin'-lutely.

Why do simple advertisements give me such joy?

youtube.com/watch?v=pS5xwYsDjZ8
Rainbow Rocks gave me very Jem feels, only it was kind of reversed with the heroes being the rock group and the villains being the pop group

>Because it wasn't made for you and thus you feel deprived of something to which you believed you were entitled? I mean, just a shot in the dark there.

You're not wrong, I am a big fan of the Jem cartoon but didn't care for the series, but I understand that series was not made for young girls like the initial show was, it was made to cater to 20 somethings. Just like in IDW's Transformers where they have gay and transexual robots, that would never make it into a TF show for kids, but there hasn't been a new Jem show for kids and some fans can't tell the difference between intended demographics.

Because it was mostly animated in japan.

And the last unicorn.

How the FUCK can one man be so manly. Holy shit

>What if I told you that Japan actually won the war?

See also: Thundercats.

> tfw this will be the only Care Bears anime we'll ever get

because Filmation was the last American company actually doing the animation state-side for kids cartoons.

when they closed, only canada still animated their own shit i think...

Thundercats was outsourced.

I'm old enough to remember Kiss fans wondering if the band would ever take off their makeup. Then they did and everyone was like "put it back on!"

we going to save it with fire.
fire removes all the sins.

>The 2000's killed edge. We're currently stuck in listless mediocrity and safety nets

That's mostly because Millenials don't have that Gen Xer penchant for over-the-top edge and self-aware ironic vulgarity.

Really. Because by the time they took off their makeup, their original 12 year old fans from the 70s had all grown up and moved on. I doubt they cared.

>The 1980s sought a renaissance of the 1950s, you know

Other than a renewed Red Scare, the two decades had nothing in common.

Because a lot of it was animated by japanese studios.

/Thread.

>the Knights In Satan's Service remove their facepaint
>they're just a bunch of jews

This. M.A.S.K. had Shinji Aramaki doing the mechanical designs, which explains a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

>that fourth panel

Does she...errr, he....errrr....it have a Downs Syndrome or something?

Are you sure?

Creator of Tenchi Muyo name Kanjishima Maasaki
Work pass time job for Artmic studios.
joined AIC studios in early 80 because he's draw shit '80 dojin on first era and he knows Kenichi Sonoda personally