Hellboy

Sup Forums's thoughts on pic related? Looking to get into hellboy (planning on buying the library editions since they look nice). 1. is it good? 2. Is the main series and its spin-offs consistent in quality all throughout? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

darkhorse.com/Blog/2574/dark-horse-books-announces-hellboy-omnibus-collect
multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its great
The main series has great consistency aside from the first arc, which is written by someone else and suffers for it. Otherwise everything except the Abe Sapien series and parts of Hell on Earth are consistently good.

it's fuckin great, BPRD is pretty good, too

Yeah I'm gonna back-up this user here. The first arc has dialogue written by John Byrne and it shows. It reads like a bronze age superhero book. Once Mignola fully takes over it's incredible.

You barely can find better.
I mean, it is consistently good for almost 20 years, and the main branches are just as good (if not better, I mean, BPRD is plain fantastic), you can't find that kind of quality anymore

I remember a thread long ago where the OP was complaining about why we don't discuss Hellboy more, the consensus was it is so good, you can't discuss it much

>Hellboy is excellent, ennit?
>Yeah man it's great
>...

Maybe if you point some parts/arcs/characters/you can make a better thread of it

The child has eaten the pancake!

I'm actually going through Hellboy/BPRD from the beginning. Does anyone have a reading order? I've seen two or three floating around but none of them seem to agree on the order

Probably one the longest consistently good comics I've ever read. The spinoffs are also pretty good, with only a handful like Abe Sapien just being ok. You might want to wait a bit before splurging on the library editions though, there's going to be omnibuses coming out this year.
darkhorse.com/Blog/2574/dark-horse-books-announces-hellboy-omnibus-collect

This user nailed it also make sure to check out Lobster Johnson

So what is the appeal of Hellboy? Besides Mignola's art.

Good action, good characterization, interesting world, humor, fun. The reasons for why a person would read a comic.

Its like Big 2 done right.

The world has consequences unlike dc and marvel if you fuck up here that's it you fuck up but the story must go on.

So for a newcomer, well coming in from the movies, the library editions are a good way to start?

This list could be old too so if anyone has an updated version.

I think this is the latest version:
multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2017/
I don't have time to stitch all the pictures together

2/4
These will need to get alternate versions for the new omnibus versions

3/4

4/4

Dark Horse has a line of paperback omnis coming that are going to be more wallet friendly for new readers. They're also broken up differently, collecting the main plot and the side stories separately.

Also warning, the first Hellboy story is scripted by John Byrne, Mingola wasn't confident enough to write yet, and it's a lot more wordy than everything else.

Mingola loves silence and establishing shots, Bynre loves narration

The omnis are coming out soon and are going to be cheaper but you can't beat these spines. My favorite looking books in my collection

Bump

The ones Multiversity puts together are the best ones, this is current as of 2016 which should be more than enough for you at the moment.

Oh I love my Library Collections. But I think the omnis are the best thing to recommend to new readers. If they really love it they can just upgrade later, like we did with the basic trades.

Yeah I'm already on the 9th tpb with Hellboy so I'm just gonna keep going, everything else will be the thicc tpbs, already have plague of frogs.

2017 list is out and has already been posted in this thread...

Unless I'm blind, they seem to have been really slow to release omnibus versions of the Hell on Earth cycle. I think the hardcovers are only starting later this month.

Vol 1 of hell on earth omnis is out

So the materials from Hellboy in Mexico, Into the Silent Sea and Midnight Circus will be put into the new omnis but won't receive a Library Edition?
I need to get the trades then.

Main series is great, particularly the short stories, though I found the miniseries to be all build up with little payoff. B.P.R.D is pretty decent and really expands the universe. Though the spin-offs can vary in quality, I'd say they're mostly good and worth reading, at least the ones written by Mignola.

Anyone got ebook or audiobook downloads for the novels? (Yeah I know most of them are not canon and not really good either but still).

Also would send prayers to anyone helping out with a download for the Baltimore / Joe Golem / Grim Death illustrated novels.

This post is on point, although, even Abe Sapien has its great moments even if most of it is trash.

What do you guys think about Hellboy being resurrected? I was satisfied with the Hellboy in Hell ending. I feel like they kind of stomped on that.

Right?

I was aware that it would happen at some point, Liz saw that photo in the future after all.