/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #445

Where is it? Edition

Previous thread: Thread Question: What kind of audience do you want reading your comic?

Here's a list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:

> /hyw/ CONTACT SHEET - add your webcomic site, contact information, etc
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

> /hyw/ DISCORD CHAT
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

> DRAWING PRACTICE and TUTORIALS
Ctrlpaint.com
drawabox.com/
line-of-action.com/
quickposes.com/en

> STOCK IMAGES and REFERENCE
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/
Character Design: pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

> FONTS
Blambot: blambot.com/
Create your own: calligraphr.com

> WEBSITE
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
Promoting your comic: miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

> ART and WRITING RESOURCES
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

> PODCASTS and VIDEOS
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
John Cleese on Creativity: youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

Other urls found in this thread:

julia012.deviantart.com/
misssandy8.tumblr.com/
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover
battlesecretary.smackjeeves.com/
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/SPOREN-page-0023-wip-8-726155147
sporen.the-comic.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=vEwm_duF578
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>same question as last thread
>[embed]
>not updated to have the Capeworld's podcast

What a terrible OP

You make it next time

Finally fisihed my scrpit for the first chapter/pilot

Gonna read over it the day after tomorrow before doing a draft

>Thread Question: What kind of audience do you want reading your comic?

Honestly, my comic is for everyone. If I can get a tiny smile out of you with my stuff, then I know I did something right.

Don't be a screwup. All it took was a few seconds of proofreading.

I got 6 views on my comic today. This is it lads, I've made it. See you around.

I know that feeling user.

1/2
Alright, fresh pages (only 2 today, because I'm working on some contest). This chapter is very long I wish I divided it into 2 chapters. I didn't have any problems translating it but if you think there are some mistakes please let me know!

julia012.deviantart.com/
misssandy8.tumblr.com/
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover

do Polaka: Jesteś jeszcze w pobliżu? Pisz do mnie czasem ;_;

2/2

Finished primary drawings so now going backwards adding a little color, fixing some mistakes, and adding dialogue. At this point I just want to be done with it and start actually do some planning for chapter two so there are going to be a bunch of mistakes for this one.

He's pushing the boundary, but yes he's readable.
Hey I think those comic examples all did edge properly! But it's not like I've read them... Those are just what I think of when I think of what edge is trying to be
the Shadow comparison is perfect. And another great example of a time when it's stupid to use edge: in a world of chibi kemono people who fight a fat teddy roosevelt egg man. They can have drama, but edge will never work.

I got 1194 views for some reason.

Got a link to your comic?

commas after "I learned that" and "Ramstan uniforms" would help
a* remarkable person
but she's* still young

Swimswuit thinga-majigger still going on! I'll try to have 2 more pages done by Friday.

thank you very much!

Jeez, I have to find some time to work on this a bit more.

Now that is how you a title!
Is it something else en francais?

we're all gonna make it, user

Who was that user who had a webcomic about talking animals that travelled through space?

Okay, that's a bit too broad. It featured a blue bird thing and if I remember correctly, the first storyline was about the group having to carry a giant dragon egg or something.

People seem to like this piece of shit comic so i'm gonna keep drawing it

> Is it something else en francais?
I don't know yet if I'm going to translate the title to french.

I don't like the french version I found earlier ("Une Vie Entre Attentes Manquées Et Déception Absolue"), and funnily ALBUDAFE sounds like the name of a french comics.

What kinds of clothing and accessories would you give a male human character that's supposed to be 'snake themed'? Trying to avoid scarfs and stuff and not have it be too edgy.

Nice, keep it up.

One of these days I'm going to nail perspective. Today might not be that day.

That is some good jazz right there. Shill a link if you can.

Is she a Gray?
>is she flirting with him?

something that really de-emphasizes the shoulders and hips. I've seen some JRPG outfits in recent years that do that exact thing, and it has the odd effect of making a guy look like he's all torso. especially like shoulder cutouts on an otherwise relatively close-fitting long-sleeved shirt, with the sleeves tapering and not quite reaching the wrists.

Perspective is kooky but this scene would be almost impossible to do properly. I can't even imagine.

How about giving a link?

Mostly posting on tumblr right now
shgg-comic.tumblr.com

Nah, she's just a lesbian goth lolita fashion girl with a big ass forehead

Thanks for sharing mate, following now.

I'm working through the book linked in the OP, Story by Robert McKee. Dayum anons that's some enlightening shit.

Post some key notes on this book. Like a summary.

just read it yourself, you lazy bum. it's not even that long

I've read it. I didn't like it. If this book is so good, why so many weak stories around?

cool comic man. gave you a follow on tumblr.

im pretty close to finishing a full chapter on mine.

battlesecretary.smackjeeves.com/

I'm, like, a complete fucking beginner. Can someone give me some good settings for clipstudio so I don't feel like I'm fighting the software? Just like, what dpi should my canvas be? How big should my brush be? I have literally never used a tablet before. I know I should experiment, but I need some kind of baseline.

>its been a year and you're not even done with chapter 1
jeez

I heard that 300 dpi is good enough for most things

I go 300 dpi and I make source page 2x bigger then final output. Brush is okay if it looks okay to you.

There are a lot of settings in any art software that will depend largely on your hardware, but 300dpi and the preset size for A4 is a decent start just go lower if it starts to lag. For reference A4 is letter size, so the same size as printer paper and traditional sized sketchbooks.

Those fucking books
"Diery"
I love this comic so much
unless your canvas is 2 inches wide.
ignore DPI for now and just go by pixels. make it at least 2000 wide on its shortest side and ideally over 3000

this

>ignore DPI for now and just go by pixels
Ignore this idiot. You're going to kick yourself later if you want to make high quality prints down the road.

Not as long as you stick with that many pixels you won't.

To be fair, I feel like by the time I'm good enough to make high quality prints that have any chance of selling, I'll know enough to be able to effectively experiment with settings on my own.

most recent page, about to do a new one right now

Honestly the kind of audience I'd like were the kind of audience quest threads had before /qst/.

I've been trying to work on a Quest Style comic (so Awful Hostpital/Prequel/Problem Sleuth) comic for a while... and well... despite having a heap of notes, a general idea for the story, and a lot of setting and a few little character stuff aside.

Also helping a couple other guys who frequent these threads working on their contest thing. Hi by the way.

I guess the question is... do I just go ahead and do it? Is a weird interactive comic too much for a first-ish timer?

>discord.gg/rXMbdqP

what a joke lol

I mean, i've been thinking of making my own website from scratch, but damn the tumblr webcomic format in the op looks easy to use, and plus... with it being on a social media platform... I feel like it would be a little easier to stretch out and find more people for the audience.

I don't know let me know If I'm being a complete new guy.

How tall is the girl and the mark on the tree in relation to each other? Are they supposed to be eye-level?
I'm messing with this on my own and I realized I have no idea how to compare the two without reference and the only thing I came up with is that the girl isn't using the same perspective point, hers is closer to the middle tree root.

That's hilarious

I think you should go ahead and do it. Worst case scenario, you'll have learned what not to do. Can't learn to cook without stepping into the kitchen, I say.

Is that your logo? Neat.

Someone's upset about getting kicked

Just do it man, right now, asap. I'm not even kidding.
Your first comics will always be crap, but that's okay. You learn from experimentation, experiences, and failure. If you decided to spend another 3 months just planning out the story, you'd just have a pile of unpresentable notes and no comic to speak of. If you spent the 3 months working on your actual comic you'd have a shaky, comic, but a comic nonetheless. And once you have a comic you can have a better sense on how to improve it.
Just start making it, mang. Don't let anything hold you back, and good luck.

Bones is kicked?

You should get used to thinking of your canvas size in inches or millimetres, not pixels. Use real dimensions, and set dpi to 300 or higher.

I draw at actual print size and set the dpi higher, up to 1200 in some cases. Export for print at 300dpi.
Drawing at larger dimensions then scaling down can change some measurements. 10mm margins at A4 become 7mm when scaled down to A5. But 5mm margins stay the same, whether at 300dpi or 600dpi.

Start with whatever size your printer uses, so either A4 or 8.5" x 11", at 300dpi.
For initial Pencil/Pen sizes, start with the preset 1 or 1.5.

i was leaving anyway, but i got kicked for no reason which was pretty funny

>10mm margins at A4 become 7mm when scaled down to A5. But 5mm margins stay the same, whether at 300dpi or 600dpi.
Thank you, user, I got to try this.

1 and a half pages left until ch. 1 is complete

Thanks man. Honestly that was like part of the reason I went with a Quest-style comic... just so I can improve and get better at it without having to worry too hard. Let the story go wherever it feels good going. I mean it was a treat seeing where Prequel Adventure went artistically. And I sort of want to grok on that vibe.

Have some more "Prologue" Concept art.

You're drawing pretty cool stuff. Might as well go for it.

Think about that for a second. Are you really going to do the math in your head?
If you stick with pixels, you literally can't screw up.

I'm still working on my script for my work, but I'm having some trouble.

The premise is of a robot and her creator going on science themed adventures, but with an overarching plot about her creator getting revenge on his former colleague who betrayed him and a team of "heroes" that said colleague used to frame him.

I'm debating how much the robot should be going with her creator's revenge schemes or trying to curb him from going too far. Said robot was also in her previously life, sabotaged by said colleague and destroyed by said "hero team". While she may have memories that will lead her to dislike them, I'm wondering if she should be in a position to hell her creator not to lose it.

There's so many "my creation is still snarky and gives me shade half the time" characters, I'd love to see that kind of played with a bit. She basically goes with him, but is always ragging on him, and it turns out he programmed her that way to make sure he never went too far or something. Or because everyone assumed he'd made a fuckbot when it was too loving and loyal to him

being bones seems like a pretty good reason to me tbqh

Thanks user.
Yeah it is. I sort of want to get a bit of a Chipped Paint look to it.

You know bit of grungy scifi.

Comic is going to be... somewhat rollicking, space military adventure, with cheesy 80's tech.

I don't need to do the math in my head because the computer does it for me.

Printers don't use pixels, they use standard paper sizes measured in inches or millimetres. If I know what size I'll be printing at, then it makes sense for me to work at that size. Otherwise I'm drawing at an approximate size and hoping that the measurements won't need too many adjustments when converted.

I started off with photocopied zines, so I'm used to the idea of my comics being printed objects. I work with the intention of my comics eventually being printed, so my measurements are all in millimetres, not pixels.
Pixels are for screens, not printing.

You're not too far off. I do have an origin for her.

Back in her previous life, she didn't have a gender persay. Her creator was more akin to a pacifist roboticist. He made her as a next gen personal companion which he dubbed as revolutionary AI at the time. (Looking back, he realised it wasn't even close. It was missing something).

Then the sabotage happened. That brought him into a slump, until he realised what happened and why. (ie. betrayed by old college) This brought him to throw away his old life, pick up what was left of the companion bot, and rebuild the bot as a combat machine, with a simpler "kill the person I tell you to". He even built the robot to have a female frame and dummy personality as a "disguise form". That ended up bothing being a blessing and a curse, because he then realised that the old AI program in the old wreckage wasn't destroyed or deleted. It ended up assimilating the new program, resulting with a sapient robot too dangerous for civillian use but too nice to be a killbot.

Realising this, he didn't have the heart to wipe out her old programming, but instead tries to study her more so he can mass produce the results and get a fortune. He'll even try to coax her to do stuff that involves screwing over his old enemies since she refuses to kill, since forcing her to do so is not an option he wants to tempt given how he feels that she will cut his head off if he pushes her too far, despite the fact that his robot will never dream of it.

Also regarding the "hero team" that ruined the roboticist's life thanks to his treacherous collegue, I'm thinking of basing them off The Champions or America Chavez, given how they're meant to be unlikable wannabes. Would that be too "on the nose" though?

working on a new page: jesse-the-art-maker.deviantart.com/art/SPOREN-page-0023-wip-8-726155147

oh hi laundry mom. lol

your problem isn't "not enough inches" though, it's not enough pixels. you are drawing with pixels. Your goal is to print something where the pixels are itty-bitty and you can't see them. Thus, you want as many pixels as possible. Inches will not solve your problem unless you remember DPI, and that's two things to remember. Two settings who can completely throw each other off. Whereas pixels can't lie

FUCK COMICS
HUURRRRBURURURURURU

DURRR I MAEK FUNNY
I SPEND 20 HOURS ON ONE COMIC NO ONE READS DURRRRq

Bones, I want to understand you. I'm studying you hard.

jestem, jestem

Witchway's Witch preview.

Expect the manticores to have some more "insect-like" traits. You ever see a lion spit up silk?

what?

my only hope is that i am a good and worthy teacher user-kun

That's something you can talk to us about on the podcast tomorrow if you want.

>Raiden

You little whore, that's my main! You can be Liu-Kang.

fuck bones, who the people REALLY want on the podcast is Coldfusion

We've extended our hand. He can come on if he wishes. Last time he said no because he thinks I hate him or something, but I'm not sure how he feels now.

>extended our hand
NGMI, in this fast paced modern world if you want something you have to grab it by the balls.

Can't grab something that doesn't exist.

What kinda things would you wanna talk about?
I get the feeling people only want to hear me be humiliated or something.
And if that's the case, I mean that's a lot of trouble to go to just for that.

flapper-style no-waist

>people only want to hear me be humiliated or something.
People literally just want to hear you be yourself.

Then they should try just talking to me. I'm a good friend y'know. Like if you ever need to talk about some shit.

>What kinda things would you wanna talk about?
Webcomics probably. Mitch and Capeworld seem on the level, so if you just ask them to back off from probing questions (which probably won't happen) then I'm sure you'll be fine.

I don't mind a little probing..
Y'ealright I'll start trying to think about good times for it why not

Webcomics and Comicbooks man, yours or other peoples. You can talk about your own stuff if you want: what influenced you as a creator, what you're plan on doing next. If you want to talk about your rocky relationship with /hyw/ we can, or if you don't want to talk about it at all that's fine to.

You don't have to talk about your stuff at all. We're comics+webcomics and occasionally we slip into stuff like MTG and Star Trek.

Also, besides interviews Mitch and I are going to start reviewing comic books-our first official comic book review will be Batman vs Predator, and then I'll see if I can convince him by hook or by crook to read Marvel's Oz series.

Anything you guys would like to hear us review?

That sounds fun as fuck.
alright when am I going to clear some damn time.. when's usually good for you guys?

that sounds pretty dope, helps expose the internet to more webcomics, i feel like most people only know about 3 to 4 at a time

I'd love to get into real obscure stuff if I can, Euro stuff like Blueberry and Metabarons. That doesn't mean we won't be hitting more well-known stuff like Bone and Usagi Yojimbo though.

And hey, we got to devote an episode to talking about America. Just for the hell of it.

We're trying to make Thursday-Friday-Saturday our "recording time zones". What would work for you?

I'm going to have to see. Things are a bit busy at the moment but should free up soon.
Generally though I would think either from 3 to 5 or after 8 central.

Oh and where's the link to your previous ones? Should listen

ok, im done, i got to go, i might go back and shade this page one day, but i think its fine without shading for now... i hope...

anyway hope yall like it, more pages here: sporen.the-comic.org/

youtube.com/watch?v=vEwm_duF578

Post for your convenience without contextual commentary.