What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_International
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the last pic is Steven older & with severe autism?

Well see the problem here is ego my friend and I don't mean an over-inflated sense of ego but ego as self.

Great, now you've got me wondering what would happen if Chris Ware did his own version of Steven Universe

sorry

I don't get it.

Evolution of the artstyle, tone, and subject matter of comic books.

From simple sufficiency to navel-gazing bullshit.

dat Plop! though

>what does ANYTHING mean after the horrors of the last century?
A sense of horror at the Nazis' mass-murder is human but banal as opposed to the pretension to cosmos-shattering significance. There have been many acts of mass-murder in world history and in fact used to be much more common. Was it so important that this case used railroads and computers to accomplish the murders?

Maybe more pertinently, what good is the nihilistic paralysis this lament implies?

it's just a Maus reference friend

well Maus came before Watchmen, for one thing

>he actually prefers Golden Age comics literally aimed at little children to actual comic books as art
Holy shit.

>Was it so important that this case used railroads and computers to accomplish the murders?
Yeah actually. The alienation and automation of the genocide is what makes it so horrifying at all. The Nazis were able to make murder into a banal, a-human experience, as though it were a job like any other. One could work at a concentration camp and literally never have to see what one was doing. There's a reason the holocaust is more horrifying than any of the other countless mass murders that have happened.

Sure the panel is referencing the Holocaust, but just speaking of literature, the Modernist movement was born out of that same sense of horror and need to reassess society brought on by WW1. Writers like Joseph Conrad, James Joyce, and T.S Eliot all drew from that zeitgeist.

Yeah, me too.

I dunno dude, a lot of philosophers, Arendt and Adorno specifically, viewed the Holocaust as the logical worst-end point of western philosophy up until then. It's very difficult to understand how such a massive dehumanization and systematic killing of human beings is even, like, intellectually feasible, let alone ideologically justifiable. For many, the Holocaust still stands as the foremost example of how, basically, the west's philosophical and intellectual history is necessarily flawed and useless.

I don't agree with the basic idea that art isn't worth making after the incomprehensible terror of the holocaust, but it certainly questions traditional and commonplace concepts of meaning, of which the Nazis explicitly used towards their own ends. It's a damned hard problem mate.

The Holocaust wasn't the only horror of the 20th century my dude. Two World Wars, the nuclear bombs, communist terror, all have claimed possibly more lives than all prior wars and atrocities combined. People invented new reasons to hate each other and entirely new, horrifying methods to kill each other. It all culminated in a stand-off between two superpowers that could have annihilated our civilization as we know it at any moment if gone hot.

Old timey people used to point at people like Nero and Napoleon as examples of world-changing, cosmos-shattering evil. The 20th century outdone them by countless orders of magnitude.

>the holocaust is more horrifying than any of the other countless mass murders that have happened.

Strong disagree.
It isn't the most savage, and it isn't the brutal, and it wasn't the most people.

>like Napoleon

enjoy that British Empire propaganda

OK, manchild.

If not holocaust than which one is most savage, which one is most brutal and which one is most people?

>It isn't the most savage, and it isn't the brutal
that's literally what user was saying. The horror of the Holocaust comes from the industrialization of genocide, not the actual act.

No one cares about the chinks user

Russians didn't like him very much either. If you read some Russian literature, Napoleon is namedropped there much like Hitler is today

What makes the holocaust the most brutal isn't necessarily even the amount of people, but rather the method and goal of it.

I bet their twitter profile has a picture of them doing that open-mouthed soyboy smile.

Well, he was literal Antichrist, so this one is understandable. I would say he wasn't *that* bad compared to real meanies like Genghis Chan.

>Genghis Chan
typo or does user waifu Temujin

Are you really implying that golden age Superman is better than Maus?

Yeah we're pretty desensitized to it today, but back then, there truly was no precedent in terms of efficiency and scope. People spent decades afterward trying to determine how average everyday people could follow the orders that led to the wholesale extermination of so many, and the answers they found scared people. Sometimes preforming unspeakable atrocities is as simple as keeping your head down and doing your job.

It was one of the most banal, though. It also helped that it occured in a well-developed European country of the time, as opposed to some distant Third World shithole.

>Genghis Chan
>this isn't a thing
Goddammit, internet.

the holocaust never even happened guys

This cartoonist doesn’t really know comic history.

>He don't want no trabbu
>People keep giving him trabbu
>Accidentally conquers most of his continent
>No more trabbu

Panel 1: Golden Age Supes
Panel 2: ???
Panel 3: Crumb?
Panel 4: Watchmen
Panel 5: Maus
Panel 6: Ghost World

Second panel is supposed to be mad magazine I guess.

I am reminded specifically of the Prankster but that was more Bronze Age. But I guess it could be representative of capes' descent into sheer lunacy after the CCA

Why Superman covers from the past were such click baits?

Yeah, even a very casual comic enthusiast could put this together, and I don't know if that's what you want in a comic strip about the medium's history.

>literally aimed at little children
They still are. They're aimed at man-children now.

Capeshit sucks.

Grow up.

Both Golden and Silver Age are superior. You're a brainlet for claiming otherwise.

2 reminds me of old Plastic Man comics...and also Popeye.

That's... not a bad summation of Genghis' life.

wtf Superman

>Ware
>capeshit

You first, capeshitter.

Its seems more to me that it is like comparing apples and oranges, in that Maus is written as an autobiography/biography focused on the horrors of the Holocaust, where as Silver and Golden age comics were more focused on appealing to a younger audience. So, from my perspective, they are both excellent in their own respects, but can't really be compared side by side.

Grow up.

Were any of these Superdick covers relevant to the actual content of the comics or were they 100% clickbait

Panel 2 is Superduperman, a MAD strip that was incredibly influential on people like Moore.

>ware
Lol. Suburban tripe.

Not an argument.

t. Morrison

How dare you to be rational in yet another "capefags vs indiefags" shitflinging thread?
Execute him.

>Not an argument
>t.x xx
BTFO!

Indifags bait capefags, because it's the only way to keep the thread alive.

Yeah but the panel background references Maus.

>americans do the same god damn thing to japs and scare them from saying anything about it
>thinking the holocaust was oppressive genocide of all jews, instead of just the fascist political killings of a bunch of jews that funded communist terrorism and we're oppressing the German people
>not knowing that even with that in mind there were jews on the outside who funded the god damn thing, or that there were nazis who were jews

Tbh the gulags were way worse simply because of the mass pathology it created in Russian society. Germans and jews may bitch about it, but they've generally gotten over ir. Slavs are traumatized as a people and conditioned to distrust humanity itself.

Only a brainlet would actually read capeshit in the first place. Golden and Silver Age capeshit isn't even the good capeshit.

>>americans do the same god damn thing to japs and scare them from saying anything about it
It wasn't the same thing

Also read the goddamn thread

ABANDON THREAD

It was a good run

To be fair it was most efficient mass murder in history going by kills per time ratio.

Are you referring to Maus? I was more thinking of the kind of mopey autobiographical narcissism that too many "art" comic books represent. Yes these are worse than simple action comics and while plenty of Golden/Silver Age stuff is garbage there's nothing inherently deficient about a simple action comic.

What do you consider the most entertaining period of comics?

I like the zine era and 90s edge, but euro fantasy is probably above it on a low simmer.

A little too efficient, even for the Germans.

The only reason people jerk off over Maus is because of Holocaust masturbation.

It's the best. Superhero comics are the epitome of entertainment. Silver Age is the absolute peak. Anything else just pales in comparison.

>Golden and Silver Age capeshit isn't even the good capeshit.

But it is foundational to the medium. They paved the way for all the indie books. Plus they have some great stories that are definitely worth reading to this day.

LCD entertainment maybe. Silver age comics are the equivalent of Michael Bay films and other simple but popular summer popcorn action films. Enjoyable maybe but very little of actual substance behind them.

>They paved the way for all the indie books
The capeshit sure as fuck didn't. It's mostly pre CCA series and euroshit.

Capeshit is a tumor sucking the lifeforce from the rest of the industry.

Other genres have been reemerging in spite of it, not because of it.

>fascist political killings of a bunch of jews that funded communist terrorism and we're oppressing the German people
I guess those gays and gypsies were also funding communist terrorism

and those Polish Jews were also oppressing the German people

You just stated the reason
>clickbait
The point was to get kids to go "WHOA! Superman just revealed himself to Lois Lane and Lana Lang?" or "WHOA! Superman is going to make Aquaman and Jimmy Olsen fight to the death for water?"
More book purchases means more money

stuff like EC and horror comics that got killed by the CCA paved the way for indie books, not capes

Wanna know how I can tell you've never read Maus?

It was the same god damn thing, but the americans are the world's finest at propaganda.

They were communists, user. Communists paid people to do shit, especially "the proletariat". Look it up instead of drinking the kool aid, america was no better than nazi Germany and nazi Germany was no worse than america.

> Communists paid people

Stalin's purges and the GULAG system. By a wide margin.

all those Jewish children were communist terrorists? They start them young.

Oh brother, let me guess, if I ask where the death camps were you're going to start talking about about the Japanese internment camps.
Get new material.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_International

Making a man in a bat costume broody all the time doesn't magically turn it into an adult series

This thread is for shitting on capefags lets try to focus.

We didn't kill the Japs we imprisoned or at least that wasn't an intended goal, Nazi Germany killed almost 10 million people (not just Jews) in the Holocaust and that's one of the more conservative estimate.

>implying I was talking about capeshit

The page mentions zero jews and no money transactions.

You know that WWII was a globalist fabrication, right?

Why would the Jews support Communism if their power lies within banking and finance, that Communists seek to destroy? Why was the Soviet Union openly antisemitic if Communism was ran by the Jews and meant to benefit the Jews? Just being perfidious for the

>Jews are all wealthy bankers who control all the money and business in Germany!
>but they are also COMMUNISTS out to destroy capitalism!
what a strange piece of doublethink

Yes, just like the moon landing and Antarctica.

The answer is simple, to destroy modern-day family values.

Nationalism born during a time of crisis brought about prosperity, prosperity brought about idleness, idleness brought about questioning, questioning lead to cynicism.

>Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

literally the Vietnam War

>Nationalism born during a time of crisis brought about prosperity
[Citation needed]

Mass murder isn't new nor was the holocaust all that bad compared to what man is capable of. Anyone claiming the holocaust is the worst man could do is incredibly naive.
Without ideological motivation Mexican cartels force people to fight one another to the death with improvised tools, slowly dismember them and skin them alive to this very day.
The death camps in north Korea are still around and a great deal crueller. The list goes on.
The holocaust only has its legendary reputation because it happen in the civilized west and filmmakers spent the next century making very dramatic, very emotional films about it to emotionally blackmail us into caring about people who died long before we were even born
All part of the propaganda effort to demonize the Nazis and justify continued war against them at the cost of the nation's youth.

>nazis dindu nuffin
Boy really nailed it

>but rather the method and goal of it.
Typhus has been around for ages user

>we did it, we finally destroyed traditional values using communism!
>too bad the communists also abolished capital, banking and any way for us to profit from this, if there was ever any, and now they are sending us to the gulag
>look on the bright side schlomo, at least we ruined the traditional family

Nice try, but you don't need to "justify" war against fucking Nazis, which was started by a literal Hitler. They were bad guys, still bad guys and will always be.