JSA Storytime: Question

Good evening owls,

more comics

I know it's Sup Forums stuff, but I liked Black Lightning.

Hi OP!

Outsiders/Momtana back when

Help, JSA friends! I have a date coming up, and have no idea how normal people do this frequently.

Hey OP

I've been meaning to check it out since hearing it was done by a different production team than the regular DC/CW stuff

So, Promethea is showing up in Orlando's JLFart. And Williams is pissed. Fucking DC.

Do I drink now or tomorrow, thread?

Hello, Storyteller.

So, apparently, there's this Alan Moore character called Promethea who's showing up in JLA, and people are kinda pissed about that, but I can't really gather why. Any ideas?

I know some people are upset Black Lightning probably won't crossover with the rest of thgw CW any time soon (or at least until vieweres drop) but the rest of the Arrowverse is just... so bad compared to BL.

Now.

They should add V into something.
Just go for it all.

I'm sure they will. If they used Promethea then V is a sure.

Try not to kill anyone.

HI user

dates are why.jpg

that's...IDC about Watchmen, but Promethea? Fucking really? That's Orlando thinking very highly of himself.

V showing up in the Challengers of the Unknown.

In this thread, we always drink now.

>Williams is pissed

> So, this is without affording me the dignity hearing about it from proper channels. I've not brought this to Alan's attention, doubt he knew, until now. Besides that, I can't in good conscience condone this happening in any form at all.

He also said that the bridges with DC were already burnt, only did Overture because of Gaiman.

I don't understand why they didn't at least give him a call first as a courtesy.

His Extrano was cool, but I think that's probably been his high mark for me.

Extraño Rebirth fucking when?

Yeah Orlando might just be one of the biggest hacks in the business. Fuck man, at least Snyder said he asked Gaiman and wasn't going to use Dream if he wouldn't have gotten the okay. Don't even know why you'd use Promethea in a JLA title anyway, the lore is one of the best part about it...

Nth for bullying Cranky

I like the first half of Midnighter and then Midnigter and Apollo mini but... the guy fucking sucks.

>wow alan moore wrote a comic it must be shit even though I have no context whatsoever

Awwww yeah, this arc. This arc ends with one of my favorite issues in the entire run and comics in general.

At this point it genuinely comes off like they're doing it just to piss him off. Or to prove a really shitty point.

I don't know if Orlando is necessarily to blame. Like I'd imagine he probably asks editorial and when they give him the ok he assumes the right people have been told and no one will be pissed.

They didn't say anything to Dave Gibbons about Doomsday Clock either, and he's actually on good terms with he company. They don't care.

Hell, exactly, Promethea just doesn't work without the facets of its underlying foundation in place.

It's weird.

Maybe he has written both good and bad things.

I don't know... apparently Way didn't ask Grant for Flex Mentallo either and Grant and Frank would prefer if he wouldn't use him... he hasn't even actually done anything so far anyway... Way's Jane is also fucking awful.

damn, son

Yeah, I see the appeal of Watchmen as an alt-universe to dig into the setting, but Promethea is very specifically the history and practice of Western mysticism

Yeah, it feels like they're going "You think we're still ripping you off? You think we're raccoons going through your thrash? Well, take THIS". All those years of Moore being a grumpy asshole and Dc is just trying their best to prove hi right...

fuck, I hate being cold

Normally, I'd be all for trolling Moore, but DC is utter garbage right now, so they have no room to talk shit. Kinda comes across as a bunch of hacks pointing and laughing at another hack.

He should reach out personally. We live in a world where that's easy to do.

He's done very few good things and a lot of bad things.

It's like you say, he must think very highly of himself because as put forward...there's no way to do it that isn't just plastering the character like a piece of wallpaper

That's incredibly strange to me. Like I get it if it's just like Savitar showing up in a Flash issue you don't have to call Waid but when it's something with a level of importance at least let them know ahead of time people might start asking them about the new story.

can't wait till glycon manifests in burbank desu
>hundreds of californians sacrificed to primitive snake god

>but DC is utter garbage right now
Seriously. I know people like to bring up that just before New 52 hit DC barely had 5 good titles and shit like that but... Nah, this right now is the worst period for DC.

>glycon manifests in burbank desu

The "God Is Dead" version of Glycon is GOAT.

>Alan Moore dons the hand puppet and starts harrassing people

I should read Promethea but it seems like so much work. Like literally, having to rotate the comic and shit.

also still really like Orlando despite him somehow becoming low key super hated.

I only want V to show up for the outrage people to assume it's making fun of trump

To me it also comes off as a wider message to everyone else, which boils down to "Those characters you make? We own them. We don't care if you made them for a separate publishing seal under a different company that we bought as a package deal in the 90s, we own them. Those characters created by the guy who gave us one of our evergreen best sellers? We. Own. Them. So don't even try it."
Whether that was the intention or not, that's how it sounds for me.

Yeah, it's clearly personal stuff so... why not just reach and say "hey, I'm a big fan of your work and was thinking of doing this and that. What do you think?". It feels like they're using these characters just to say they did.

>Like literally, having to rotate the comic and shit.
Pardon?

Will DC ever be this good again?

>feels like they're using these characters just to say they did.

yeah, that's a good way of putting it

>somehow

well his DC stuff besides Midnighter being bad (imo) might have something to do with it

DC has never been good. They recycle the same six stories and characters, then reboot and do the same thing again.

Yeah, especially the whole bin of the ABC stuff.
It makes a statement.

Doubles the sting of that cancelled landscape omnibus of Promethea. An edition envisioned specifically to make sure none of Williams' work was lost in the gutters between pages

god damn using my hands as well as my eyes, imagine that

exhausting

At least one issue I have is printed to be read the long way

No.

That does come across too but I don't know... at this moment in time, after Watchmen and Tom Strong you bring in Promethea. Just seems like a direct attack at Moore but in reality all they're doing is proving him right. And I don't think the blame falls only on the publisher, the creators deserve just as much blame for these creatively bankrupt ideas.

Myra in big-shouldered jackets is A Look.

this is kind of Mishima, lol

Let's not bring up DC's trade department...

There was that whole deal where creators weren't getting royalties for " derivative characters" So Gerry Conway didn't get a cent because they used a different Killer Frost in one of the shows.

the pages i have seen have played with comics in cool ways is what i mean

i meant more the viciousness of the hate. even his stuff I haven't liked isn't really much worse than mediocre.

It's even worse because like that's SOP for characters in shared universes but taking stuff from personal projects is just giving the finger

>Yossarian

90 bucks for a fucking Jimmy Olsen misprint.

Porque no los dos

tbf I don't think Moore gives a shit. he's been burnt too much

>At least one issue I have is printed to be read the long way
... That's fucking stupid.

They also fucked up the JLI omnibus. Maybe it'll be like Simonson's Orion. Awful format choices that get corrected in the trades.

Unless DC forgets to move the back up stories in the trades too.

Apart from being a mediocre at best writer, he's also desperately trying to score diversity point in a very blatant way.

naw, it works

comics in general will never be this good again, bronze age best age

Myra's got the strongest 80s Power Lady looks outside of Dakota North Investigations.

I feel like all these TV/Movie adaptations are were some, if not most of the reason behind these underhanded attacks on character rights come from. Like publishers are so annoyed or scared of creators asking for royalties that they'll go to these lengths to show how little they care and how much they own. But that might be reaching.

Why?

I feel like Moore at this point cares more about how they treat his collaborators than him. That's why he stayed at ABC when DC bought Wildstorm. He didn't want to ditch the artists he promised work for.

What was up with the 90s doing comic spreads where you have to hold the comic sideways? I was reading some 90s X-Men and it had a bunch of splashes like that.

I do not care. Shove more diversity in.

And the thing you have to remember is that it could've been worse like the JLI omnibus. They jerk people around for years and eyrs and then they put out a shitty version with mistakes and go "welp, I guess we can't continue printing these because they don't sell lol". The people in charge of their trade department are straight up villains.

I think it's genuine rather than for points but he's just not talented enough for his ideas.

That actually wasn't true. There was just a different process for getting paid for those creations. He published a correction blog about it but it didn't get shared as widely as the first (as usual).

just one more ostrander squad trade. that's all i need.

It doesn't come off as genuine.

>He published a correction blog about it but it didn't get shared as widely as the first
That's good to hear. The idea that DC created a loophole where they could never pay royalties was disgusting.

It was decent, yeah. Daughter #2 is going to an Karen Page by the end of the series, tho.

Black Mask announces a new BLACK [AF] miniseries, Widows & Orphans, about human trafficking.

>it seems like so much work. Like literally, having to rotate the comic and shit
I don't use this term like ever, but this is the very definition of a numale.

Get ready to be cockblocked.

Vol 9 of Grell's Green Arrow came out this week. Man that Arrow show must bring in some crossover to make it that when so many others stop at vol 2

Barnes and Noble's in-house publishing branch for their cheap mega collections are the best.

Once they printed the "Complete Lovecraft" with a ton of errors. Less than a year later they had a new one printed with an identifiable marker signifying that it was the new printing.

It sucks so hard that the Suicide Squad movie design is the best look Katana has ever had when it suits her so very little as the Mommiest Team Mom ever.

Hey OP.

>Shirtless heroics
Ah, we achieve Full Denny.

i'm actually mad we read the outsiders bc now I'm invested in a Katana that will never reappear. (should find links for op to return to the series)

but when they save the day in Doomsday Clock imma be screaming

>naw, it works
Doubtful. The whole House of Leaves playing with the medium thing just doesn't work for comics.

>Why?
Because having to read a comic book sideways is horrifically obnoxious.

I don't understand why they don't reprint these things faster. As it stands they're only doing them for old fans and collectors but if the trades would come out more often you could get the usual trade waiters to buy them too and read them for the first time.

>Middle Age Crisis Katana who bought a motorcycle and is trying to be like all the 70s sukeban girls that were cool when she was a teen

>I'm invested in a Katana that will never reappear
That feel, that feel. Lord almighty, I know that feel.

This reminded me that Katana is for some reason still in Suicide Squad when nobody cares about Synergy Squad

I legit think it comes down to Lifield doing an issue of Hawk and Dove like that at DC, which was reformatted to normal orientation against his will.
"Look DC I'm making millions for Marvel and I do whatever I want."

So Tradd Moore got hired to do a Suicide Squad one-shot that DC just never published. It's been done since 2016

Sitting in a vault somewhere next to that Frank Quietly Lobo issue I guess