Emmy and WGA Award-nominated writer Jeff Loveness (Marvel's Nova) presents an exploration of the classical biblical...

>Emmy and WGA Award-nominated writer Jeff Loveness (Marvel's Nova) presents an exploration of the classical biblical character, perfect for fans of Preacher and The Goddamned.
>Judas Iscariot journeys through life and death, grappling with his place in 'The Greatest Story Ever Told,' and how much of his part was preordained. In a religion built on redemption and forgiveness, one man had to sacrifice himself for everyone…and it wasn't Jesus.

For a little history about Judas
>Judas Iscariot (died c. 30 – c. 33 AD) was one of the twelve original disciples of Jesus Christ and son of Simon Iscariot, according to the New Testament. Judas is known for the kiss and betrayal of Jesus to the Sanhedrin for 30 silver coins.

>"But there are some of you who do not believe " For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him.

>Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here Mean!

>"But behold, the hand of the one betraying Me is with Mine on the table.

Bump. I've been meaning to read this.

Thanks user

>Part 2!

Judas legitimately did nothing wrong.
Thanks for the storytime senpai, this is a good read

I liked the first issue well enough, bump for storytiming non-capeshit

Any time user the story does delve into how much at fault Judas was

Yeah the Bible has a lot of forgiveness and damnation

Yeah God really was a dick to pharaoh even if he willingly enslaved the Jews

> A champion named Goliath, who was from Gath, came out of the Philistine camp. His height was six cubits and a span.[a] 5 He had a bronze helmet on his head and wore a coat of scale armor of bronze weighing five thousand shekels[b]; 6 on his legs he wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back. 7 His spear shaft was like a weaver’s rod, and its iron point weighed six hundred shekels.[c] His shield bearer went ahead of him.
>Goliath stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why do you come out and line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not the servants of Saul? Choose a man and have him come down to me. 9 If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us.” 10 Then the Philistine said, “This day I defy the armies of Israel! Give me a man and let us fight each other.” 11 On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.

So yeah Old Testament god was kinda harsh

Is this based on that "gospel of Judas" that conservative Christians were making a fuss about over a decade ago?

Dunno not sure I don’t think it’s though

Goes to war with the most powerful thing in the universe that literally created everything

Still did Satan actually think he’d win he was fighting god? Also I like how Satan like to play the victim painting God as the bad guy

Still Satan seems to gloss over the fact that he caused the fall of mankind

Satan’s trolling continues

And suffering has just begun

Well that’s it until the next issue

>Still did Satan actually think he’d win he was fighting god?
Debatably. He was so full of himself/rage at god/heaven he thought he could do it or at least usurp the big man.
Theres the alt school of thought too that Satan was a falseflag to weed out the weak, so to speak, and make paradise more pure.

Christan mythos is weird like that

Yeah they’re so many debatable interpretations and way to view the whole thing that it at least makes it interesting Satan being a egotistical ass who was completely full of himself or a angel that rightfully questioned the acts of god and saw him as a monster

no hell in it though

Bump,

I'm enjoying this

Here’s the next cover and a description for issue 3
>Judas confronts Jesus in the pits of Hell.

>With the fate of all of life and the afterlife hanging in the balance, Judas performs an intervention on Jesus in the pits of Hell.

this is really great OP. Thanks for storytiming.
Some of the lines of thinking that Judas uses are what drove me from Christianity in the first place, so this really resonates with me.

The ancient jews enslaved alot of ppl themselfes. Rape, genocide - all in gods name. He is just a giant dick.

>Goes to war with the most powerful thing in the universe that literally created everything

>FREEDOOOOOOOOOM

Are there any other good Bible based comics? The Goddamned was irredeemably shit. It was just "what if every biblical character was edgy and spoke in a retarded lingo". Aaron should stick to crime.

Isn't that alt school more of a Jewish thing?
From what I know (admittedly not an expert) Jews don't view Satan as a wholly malevolent being, but more of a test of faith.Then again I'm not sure which Jewish sects follow that, might be a minority.

Darren Aronofsky made Noah as a graphic novel before a movie. The artist was the Pride of Baghdad guy.

Interesting idea, great art, but I don't buy that Judas was betrayed quite as much. Yes, he was predestined to betray Jesus, but he had the same opportunity every other human had/has: to repent and accept the offered forgiveness.

The next issue may lead to that

We're at "he descended into hell", it might end with "on the third day he rose again"

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

I'll check out for copies at my LCS tomorrow.

A comic book isn’t more insightful than centuries/millenia of millennia of religious philosophy/canon so yeah

It’s not like free will doesn’t exist, Judas was a dickhead

And Jesus washed his disciples feet more often than he ever had his washed, there’s some huge oversights of basic stuff here

Ah. Good. The devil's here.

>predestination
>free will
Choose 1

Compatibilism

didnt expect something this good from boom

That's just predestination with extra steps.

That's actually not how it works (IMHO). The Bible supports a combination of both. It's pretty clear that out ability to accept Jesus' offer of salvation is a free choice, one God wishes all would make, even knowing some would not. Jesus died so that all could be forgiven. All.

Going to be an awkward ass reunion, though.

You're not wrong.

Who’s this shmuck? I like my Lucifers to be pretty like David Bowie.

Depends. It's a little inconsistent as to whether angels are actually sapient at all. If they aren't then Satan is basically a massive programming error since he ended up being too good at finding/arguing reasons why humans are shit and as the angel with the most authority he could order all the ones below him too.

At the end of the day, a skinny pale guy is a skinny pale guy.

I somewhat recall that Judas was one of the most dedicated to Jesus and the whole 30 pieces of silver thing could easily be a plan that went horribly wrong. It can be argued that he thought Jesus would just use his powers to save himself and conquer Rome Then Jesus doesn't do any of that and Judas hangs himself.

Thanks for the storytime op. This is a quite interesting take on part of the new testament.

Pretty good. A little on the nose for my tastes but I guess that’s what you get for 4 issues.

He was also tossing babies into the Nile, but sure.

It was the style at the time.

PHARAOH DINDU NOTHING WRONG
HE WAS A KANG

>Jesus died so that all could be forgiven. All.

didn't jesus die for the sins of the people of the past and the people of that time only. why do people say he saved our sins now?

On the nose?

Nope. He died for all sins, though people of the past were granted righteousness through faith, through the Old Testament law. As God revealed more of Himself, what people must believe to be saved changed. In the past, it was belief in God. Currently, it is in Jesus' death for their sins, offering forgiveness.

Free will exists but god because he’s god already knows what’s going to happen but that doesn’t negate the fact that you make the choice like Judas did it Satan’s doing the classic seduction through his arguments against gods need for a villain but he doesn’t really show that they mostly chose to go against god

Its hypertime in real time. All our futures are possible and God knows them, but none are solid until we choose one.

I like the idea that in the process of being blasted by God himself into hell and slowly corrupted by evil he starts showing physical signs of corruption like becoming pale and skinnier

The entire second issue was just expositing about shitty things god did in the Bible while stripping away any nuance and context of those stories. It starts with a conclusion that god is unjust instead of leading you toward it.

I liked the personal approach of the first issue a lot more.

nope. The last supper was the new covenant for the salvation of man. you know, "this wine is my blood and the bread my body".

Yeah I can see your point but it is mostly just Satan’s argument as to why god is bad and why he did nothing wrong even though none of this would’ve happened if he hadn’t corrupted adam&eve

String theory

seems like free will is fake if your actions cna be known before you do it.
Its like watching a movie thats never the same in the first and middle part of the movie but always stays the same at the end.

was he corrupted?

he looks like a person who just gave up hope and doesn't care anymore
if god knows everything why didn't he stop it or reason with satan before the war?

How high was Satan on the angel ladder anyways because there’s a lot of variations on them and some definitely come out as more cosmic horror than others like the Seraphim

I'm honestly a little shocked that you didn't realize he was God's second in command.

>if god knows everything why didn't he stop it
That would effectibly strip away lucifer's free will, which would defeat his creation
>or reason with satan before the war?
We don't know if that happened. For all we know God might have tried that or lucifer attacked right away.