Why is Alex Ross art so good...

Why is Alex Ross art so good? It makes almost all other superhero comic art look like kindergarten stick figure drawings by comparison.

Attached: 14.jpg (1265x1600, 244K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperrealism_(visual_arts)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where can I read a comic of this quality in every single panel?

He's only good at covers and sucks at drawing interiors.

>random light from literally nowhere : The artist
No, he is shit.

Kingdom come

Kingdom Come is garbage and so is his art. It makes everybody look like middle aged cosplayers,with glare and light fucking up the image from everywhere.

Name one (1) better realism comic artist.

I dunno, the guy in the lower left is kinda uncanny valley...

Looks like it's from the headlights user

Headlights, dipshit.

Ross' work is great but it's very static, and doesn't have a lot of flow to it, that's why he's better at big spectacle moments, and more suited to covers than interiors.

Like, every panel in Kingdom Come is an individual painting, but they don't work cohesively as a page.

headlights much, cunt shitter?

That's kind of the point.

Attached: 91.jpg (500x757, 93K)

>he's better at big spectacle moments
To be fair most of his work is covers specifically because of how long it would take for him to do that kind of art on every page of a comic book, so there isn't nearly as much material to judge him by as far as full book art goes.

Because you're easily impressed by realism. I respect the work he puts into his stuff, but realism is a cheap way to make something look good. you don't have to care about elements of art like composition or color to care about realism. All if takes is for you to see picture that looks like a real person and you know it was done well.

Where as, someone like Mike Mignola, with a more stylized aesthetic, is more divisive. some people can appreciate the design and style, others may say it looks too cartoony or that a kid could draw like that.

Attached: Gaslight Batman Mignola-CAF.jpg (830x1100, 470K)

>realism is a cheap way to make something look good
It's the least cheap way to do that, realism takes forever to do.

It's not exactly realism though, it's idealized realism if that makes sense

Also realism isn't just looking at real things and drawing what you see, if that were true there would be a lot more hyperrealistic drawings in the ancient past. It's a lot less straightforward and a lot more tricky than most people would guess. Specific techniques had to be developed to make it work and these techniques aren't the most intuitive thing in the world.

>so there isn't nearly as much material to judge him by as far as full book art goes.

he basically became a known name doing two miniseries; Marvels and Kingdome Come. he's done other interiors, too, though the brunt of it was in the 90's and early 2000's.

Yes, but with realism you have an effective guide as to where to go. And you know people will like it. Again, I respect it and all, but its easy to see why more people can appreciate Ross compared to someone like Moebius(though Moebius could pull off a good realistic style as well.)

Kingdom come, Justice, and the short stories from his Mythology art book.

That's what I mean though, he has way fewer comics (where he's the artist for the whole thing and not just the cover artist or a consultant on design for some other artist) than most other artists. Not that he doesn't have any, just way fewer.

Here's what I meant in that other post with it not being as much a matter of copying as I think most people imagine it to be:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperrealism_(visual_arts)
>Hyperreal paintings and sculptures are not strict interpretations of photographs, nor are they literal illustrations of a particular scene or subject. Instead, they use additional, often subtle, pictorial elements to create the illusion of a reality which in fact either does not exist or cannot be seen by the human eye.
I'm not an artist myself, but I remember we went over this when I took an art class back at university. The stuff that looks like it's just a copy of real life has to be drawn with a bunch of unintuitive illusion tricks because what you actually see in real life is different from how that looks when you try to just copy it for whatever reason, I think it partially has to do with us never really seeing what we think we see and just getting the vague impression of detail when looking at the real world instead of the actual detail we think is we're getting.
So because you have to use illusion to make it work, I would disagree that you actually do have all that much of a guide in photographs or real life models. They help, but the artist still needs to employ creativity in making something that isn't actually the same give off the illusion of a reality no one ever really sees.

Is that the point of this one too?

Attached: alex ross archie.jpg (813x1250, 770K)

>It makes almost all other superhero comic art look like kindergarten stick figure drawings by comparison.
Just like every other tracer.

Still enough to judge, though.

>no Marvels

Yes, at least that's what I think. He takes fantasy settings and portrays them with unusually high detail realism which makes his work really bizarre and recognizable.
?

Attached: 500.jpg (1500x713, 304K)

Batman, War On Crime is a masterpiece.

he never had the skill of someone like Art Adams, but he is pretty talented

what's adams working on nowadays?

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

I know you're trolling but there are books and videos of him doing a step by step process and he doesn't trace on any of them.

He uses references tho but the finished product is pretty different.