Year One: Best and Worst?

So, we're getting a new Year One, from the guy who started the whole Year One phenomenon.

What are your favorites and most hated in the Year One Brand? Do you think this one will be any good?

Attached: superman_year_one_-_embed_2018.jpg (606x928, 74K)

I thought this was an amazing addition to the Year One label, and it's a shame that it's not as reviewed or recommended.

Attached: Wonder Woman (2016-) - Year One v2-000.jpg (1987x3056, 929K)

Seeing as how Miller wrote Kandor like an poor ISIS parallel in his last book, I'm terrified.

Do you think that Miller will get much into Krypton?

The original and absolute best. Whatever Miller has done since, this is an almost perfectly crafted book. Mazzucchelli is a supreme master, and Richmond Lewis's colors are heartbreakingly lovely.

Attached: Batman Year One cover.jpg (640x985, 49K)

Not the best, but the art was gorgeous, and I loved the little Birds of Prey setup stuff. (Sadly it overwrites the actually best Huntress origin, Cry for Blood.)

Attached: Huntress Year One cover.jpg (293x450, 51K)

These aren't trying to be super deep or dark, but the art is so amazingly gorgeous, and the writing is so polished. And they're probably the most sheer fun of the Year One brand.

Attached: Batgirl Robin year one.jpg (309x475, 54K)

Huh. Nobody likes Year One stories?

Green Arrow Year One got me into Green Arrow which led me to discover that The Wonder Year is better.

Batman year one is the only correct answer. Why is this even a question? GA year one is the only one that could live up, and the rest is forgettable.

Attached: Green Arrow- Year One - Special Edition 001-000.jpg (1988x3056, 1.24M)

I mean, yes, it's the correct answer, but seriously, everything else is forgettable?

I'm not really a fan of how Miller writes Supes but I'll be cautiously optimistic about this.

I mean, I wouldn't think about giving anything else a second read.

Really? Wow. Wondy and the three Dixon ones are at least really enjoyable rereads. Just really well constructed with excellent art.

Wondy was terrible. I'd read that digital Wonder Woman book, Jill Thompson's GN and Morrison's origin from earth one over Rucka's origin story.

Legend of Wonder Woman is gorgeous, but the story isn't nearly as tightly plotted. Thompson and Morrison's books are equally but in different ways deeply unpleasant to read. Diana was accidental murderer needing to redeem herself out of guilt or Diana as Morrison's weird lesbian Batgod aren't the once-princess once-goddess I fell in love with. (Obviously I'm a Rucka fan.)

go away rucka

Haha. Not Rucka. I think he's actually a really obnoxious person who happens to be a really excellent writer (but who really one writes about one character - hardcore broken woman.)

>What are your favorites and most hated in the Year One Brand?
Goblin Slayer: Year One

Attached: 575114._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg (900x1350, 206K)

I mean, it's definitely true that other publishers have tried to copy the Year One branding - Sherlock Holmes, etc. And Marvel went with Season One for the same purpose as Year One. But none of them have caught on like the Year One brand.

Batman Year Two was good except for McFarlane's art

It was good, but it was no Year One. And Year Three was...so generic.

Why haven't you killed the Joker, Orcbold?
Is he a goblin?

FULL LIST OF YEAR ONES:

Batman: Year One
Guy Gardner: Year One
JLA: Year One
Robin: Year One
Batgirl: Year One
Nightwing: Year One
Batman/Scarecrow: Year One
Batman/Ra's al Ghul: Year One
Green Arrow: Year One
Metamorpho: Year One
Teen Titans: Year One
Two-Face: Year One
Huntress: Year One
Black Lightning: Year One
Wonder Woman: Year One
Superman: Year One
Action Comics Annual #7
Adventures of Superman Annual #7
Aquaman Annual (Volume 5) #1
Azrael Annual #1
Batman Annual #19
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Annual #5
Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #3
Catwoman Annual #2
Deathstroke the Terminator Annual #4
Detective Comics Annual #8
Doomsday Annual #1
Flash Annual #8
Green Arrow Annual #7
Green Lantern Annual #4
Guy Gardner: Warrior Annual #1
Hawkman Annual #2
Justice League America Annual #9
Legionnaires Annual #2
Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #6
Lobo Annual #3
New Titans Annual #11
Ray Annual #1
Robin Annual #4
Shadowdragon Annual #1
Steel Annual #2
Sovereign Seven Annual #1
Spectre Annual #1
Superboy Annual #2
Superman Annual #7
Superman: Man of Steel Annual #4
Wonder Woman Annual #4

RELATED:
Ambush Bug: Year None
Batman: Year 100
Batman: Year Two
Batman: Year Three
Batman: Zero Year

Batman was the best. Green Arrow was probably my second favorite. Looking forward to Superman.

Everyone seems to love Green Arrow Year One. Hmm. I'm surprised there's not more love for the Robin/Batgirl/Nightwing set. Though even though I think Wonder Woman Year One is amazing, I'm not surprised people don't like it, with the dislike of Rucka on the board.

I wished Alan Davis had drawn all of it, but I do admit I liked some McFarlane pages.

I liked wondy’s Year one. Solid origin story