Gail Simone Plastic Man

EXCLUSIVE: Gail Simone to write new Plastic Man series for DC

syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-gail-simone-to-write-new-plastic-man-series-for-dc

Attached: plasticman1cvr_0.jpg (1140x640, 334K)

I wonder how many men he will fuck this time

>SYFY WIRE can exclusively reveal that the beloved comics writer's next project is Plastic Man, a six-issue miniseries for DC Comics that launches in June. Simone will reunite with artist Adriana Melo (Birds of Prey, Rose and Thorn) to chronicle the adventures of the Golden Age hero, who was created by Jack Cole and debuted in Police Comics #1 in 1941.

Attached: plasticman1cvr_2.jpg (1100x1672, 711K)

DROPPED

I'm assuming this is to fill in the gaps between Forever Evil and whenever he turned into an egg.
Hopefully we can get some more mini's of smaller characters, I need a new metal men mini

This is actually a pretty good choice, Gail definitely excels at stuff with a lighter tone.

>kelly sue deconnick on lack label
>mags on young animal
>gail simone on eel-kun book
I sense a dark force at work, brehs.

Attached: ___________.png (324x300, 9K)

next up a crossover with elongated man

>Adriana Melo (Birds of Prey, Rose and Thorn)
Well, it will probably be sexy at least

>DC brings Plas back just to shit on him
Fuck your mothers

Attached: 123.jpg (255x255, 15K)

He need is own cartoon series already similar to freakazoid and the mask.

He could be a big hero on DC if given a chance but they didn't give him a came on injustice1 or 2

>all this Simone hate
Did you just read New 52 Batgirl or something?

Simone has written a lot of good stuff and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with them.

Do people not like Simone now? What the hell? I thought she was our girl? She defended Cho and she was one of DC's only good writers between Final Crisis and Nu52.

this
She's written way more good than bad.
And her Batgirl and 2nd BOP was plagued by editorial.

Wait, she’s working for both Marvel AND DC?

Anyway her Clean Room and Crosswinds (rip art) have good writing so she's written good stuff since Batgirl.

I'm concerned about fetish writing like she did with Giganta. I really don't want Plas getting a shit book

Attached: JLA Plastic Man.png (560x370, 248K)

>SYFY WIRE can exclusively reveal that the beloved comics writer's next project is Plastic Man, a six-issue miniseries for DC Comics that launches in June. Simone will reunite with artist Adriana Melo (Birds of Prey, Rose and Thorn) to chronicle the adventures of the Golden Age hero, who was created by Jack Cole and debuted in Police Comics #1 in 1941.

>We've also got the FIRST LOOK at two covers to issue #1, one drawn by Melo, the other pencilled by Simone's Wonder Woman/Conan collaborator Aaron Lopresti. A variety of guest artists will tackle variant covers for each issue. DC is keeping the full list a surprise, but if you keep reading you'll find out the artist doing the first issue variant.

>In case you're not familiar with the character's backstory, Eel O'Brian was a thief, con artist and all-around not great guy whose life was changed after he gets drenched in a strange liquid chemical during a botched robbery. The accident transformed his body and placed it in a semi-fluid state, giving him complete malleability and the ability to control his density, along with super strength and various other powers.

>Long a favorite of creators such as Mark Waid, Frank Miller and Grant Morrison, Plastic Man has been a member of the Justice League and while never a full-fledged solo star has been a key supporting player in many big DC storylines.

>I'm concerned about fetish writing
If anything, I'm looking forward to it.

>Simone has wanted to tackle the stretchy criminal-turned-hero for some time. This new adventure will focus on the humor that made Plastic Man comics' first wise-cracking crimefighter, paving the way for characters like Lobo, Deadpool and Harley Quinn. "Plas is THE original humor hero jock," explains Simone. "If you read his best stories, he's always a little bit bawdy, a little bit messed up, and that really is my favorite kind of hero."

>SYFY WIRE managed to score a few minutes with Simone to discuss her love of 'Plas' and the story she plans to tell, and the tone of her story. Read on to find out what she says, and then check out three cool preview pages we have of the upcoming series.

>When did you and DC start talking about having you do this Plastic Man mini-series?

>It came about around a year ago. The mini-series is already written, actually. It's a nicely contained story that's a lot of fun and creepy, too.

>Plastic Man is a very interesting DC character. He's obviously known for his humor, but he has great power and he's been around a long time. How did you approach the character to put a new twist on him?

>When I think about Plastic Man, he was genuinely the first funny super hero. I"m obviously attracted to that. There's also this great mixture of tragedy in there, too, that I love. The humor comes from a place of pain. And a lot o people I know, the bravest ones, deal with their pain through humor. So I really like trying to find that balance and keeping that rollercoaster going where there is enough tragedy going on that the humor kind of helps you get through it, and that's what this series is.

>This character was so ahead of its time when it was created. The stuff we're seeing in Deadpool and Harley Quinn now, Plastic Man was doing in the 1940s. It's a character that was ahead of its time back then and the stories are still funny and still relevant. So just kind of bringing him into the modern DCU was the big thing for me.

>Forever Evil
I suspect they're going to ignore that.

>concerned about fetish writing

You're on the wrong website, my dood.

Fetish writing either goes really well or really poorly.

>He was known for humor when that wasn't what people expected of super hero books. Is that one of your goals with this gig, to raise the appreciation of Plastic Man?

>Exactly, and the content is about PG-13. I mean, Plastic Man is probably the only super hero who would dare make fun of Batman at a Justice League meeting.

>What does a PG-13 Plastic Man comic look like? And does the humor in the story come easy to you?

>Yes, it kinda does (laughs), just because I have that weird sense of humor that can go dark at any moment or just be off-the-wall silly. Which is kind of the great thing about writing Plastic Man is that all of that works really well with that character. We have so many great moments that I cannot wait to see Adriana Melo draw because she … I worked with her before on a series back in the day called Rose and Thorn and she draws the most gorgeous people. And this book has sort of a '40s-style glamour to it. It's updated a bit. But, Adriana is also tremendous at doing humor so I cannot wait to see what she brings to that.

>Tell me about the style and look of the series.

>I'm mainly talking about the glamorousness of it, more so than the actual styles of dress. We'll see where Adriana comes up with. We definitely have some formal clothing scenes and really dark crime scenes. I don't think it's going to feel like a comic from the 1940s but it will have some of those touches.

The Bendis effect is finally at work

Yes haha we all know, you get my point
Exactly.

>Who else can we expect Eel O'Brian to cross paths with?

>First of all, nobody knows that Eel O'Brian is Plastic Man. The Justice League, the bad guys don't know, no one knows. And he ends up finding out that a group of the smartest super villains in the world have gotten together. And no one believes him. They just think he's bonkers. Basically it's up to him to stop this group from world domination.

>So just imagine the smartest villains in the DCU and you can probably come up with some of the cast members of this story (laughs), as well as some new characters that I've created too, including one in particular that I'm completely in love with and I hope will stick around for awhile.

>Is it nice to have a compact, finite story tell in a six-issue miniseries, as opposed to doing an ongoing monthly?

>It is really nice but the truth is, even when I'm doing a monthly there are arcs and mini-arcs and there are things going on. It's just that I didn't want to leave too many things dangling at the end of this story. Whereas if I'm doing a monthly book, I can leave dangling things everywhere and balls in the air that I can pick up later.

>You're working again with Adriana. She's been your partner before. Aaron Lopresti, your Wonder Woman/Conan artist, is doing the first cover. Are there other artists doing variant covers that you can tell us about?

>As soon as people found out this book existed, artists wanted to draw covers. So there are quite a few top names doing covers for us. DC is keeping some as a surprise but each issue will have a different variant cover from a different artist.

Sweet. How will this coincide with Terrifics tho?

Stop being a fucking continuity autist

Can you just let things stand on their own? You are the reason for every problem in capeshit.

Why isn’t Plastic Man more popular

He was one of my favorite parts of Brave and the Bold

Jesus, the potential for fetish material is off the charts on this one.

Attached: 1amtvd.jpg (480x360, 36K)

This is why comics will never be popular, capeshitfags have to have everything referencing one another and crossover.

Eh I don't love it. Gail's not that funny.

>If you read his best stories
He's not a quippy asshole

She's one of the only working capeshit writers that actually does good comedy though.

Brainlets spotted.

Just the name of a woman is enough to trigger them.

Only brainlets care about continuity.

Attached: 2e0ycca4giqw.png (284x307, 11K)

Depends, If Johns has any day they'll probably remember it

suit yourself nigga.

Plas should have stayed gone. It would have been a better fate than being in Simone's grimy clutches.

>good thing gets announced
>I get to enjoy good thing AND enjoy the suffering of those with lesser taste

Feels fucking amazing. Please reply with an assmad reaction image or a smarmy comment reeking of god complex.

>Mini series
You're acting as if she's taking the character hostage and the character won't be appearing elsewhere

I'm glad for you, bud.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Simone. She's a remnant of the mediocre talent that DC had in the 2000s who kept on producing forgettable schlock, like Cucka, Johns, Waid, Robinson, Meltzer and Winnick. DC needs less of going back to them.

Is this smarmy and god complex enough for you

Attached: smug batgod.png (576x592, 348K)

Don’t you fucking dare ignore my post you spineless little worms

I will find you, rip your head off and shit down your fucking neck

Respond to my post idiots

Like the doom patrol in his justice league right.

In 2 years time you won't even remember the 2 series ran at the same time.

You the same autist who made that Static thread not too long ago?

I guess that's why he isn't popular.
If his fans are like you, then they're all fucking idiots.

Thanks, I'm glad for me too.

It'll do.

No.

Hey, dude, what up?

What are you talking about?
Johns didn't have anything to do with YA, so it was ignored, like I said, FE will stay if John's has a say

Might be cool.

I Gail has a few rough runs (mostly her N52 Batgirl getting lots of hate) but honestly a better batting average than most people give her credit for.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's good to see Simone writing something outside of her recent wheelhouse (anything but a straight white male). Hopefully this will keep the book from being preachy and heavy handed like a lot of her recent titles.

If we get Atom/Secret Six Simone out of this instead of Red Sonja/Batgirl, I'm cool with it.

Saying Bendis is behind everything is like saying the Jews are behind everything

Attached: 1503050083417.png (936x2240, 132K)

My money is it'll be close to her Secret Six runs, which had plenty of humor and surprisingly a few heavy moments.
But it might depend on the artist how lighthearted it feels.

Also, speaking of Secret Six, we can probably guess a cameo from one of those characters cause nobody else uses them and Gail will probably wanna insert them somehow (like she did with Ragdoll in her Batgirl run).

>Cartoonigger has a shitfit
Nothing to see here

>Terrifics
>Now this
My boy Plas is getting a push, fuck yes.

They are. One's behind you right now.

Wow, those sure are TERRIFIC news, haha.

>tumblr culture
aaaaand the image falls apart. Can't blame a separate website as a boogeyman while calling Sup Forums (el goblino de la politca) a dindu

>Gail Simone
>ever

Attached: godforsaken astronaut.jpg (265x515, 36K)

I read Secret Six. I dropped it after 3 or 4 issues; that retarded Bane was too much.

>Another mini
So far I'm pulling the Ragman mini, Etrigan mini, and Black Lightning mini already
Is DC just going to do minis for all the c-lister now?

>reading Secret Six without reading Villains United or Six Degrees of Devastation
JUST

>Villains United
I think I read it but I remember nothing about it.

>now

I hope so.
Also you're not getting the Deadman mini?

No because I'm not high enough to understand Neal Adams writing

>Is DC just going to do minis for all the c-lister now?
Probably. And that's probably or the best. They get to tell a tight story that way instead of having grand plans that fall apart and have to be hastily resolved because they're selling below 10k

>They get to tell a tight story
Not with the """ talent""" they're hiring...

>didn't read them

Oh please. Retarded ideas like digging up Tony fucking Isabella from his grave to write more Black Lightning should result in people getting fired.

>that user coming up with new hateboners again

>Why isn't Plastic Man more popular?
Because DC pulled a Fawcett on the Quality Comics capes and spent about four decades promoting the DC-created Elongated Man instead.

That'd make sense only if Elongated Man was remotely popular, even to Plasticman levels.

Hearing how Gail fucked over Ethan Van Sciver's cool ass Firestorm concept earned her a special seat in Hell next to Bendis.

How'd she do that? The only time I can think of her having Firestorm in her comics was in Villains United where he was kidnapped and used as a fuel source for like 3 pages.

Then again I've not read all her work. He could have been a recurring Atom character or something.

Not him, but I agree with him. Hiring the washed up old writers to do new works for their beloved comics pretty much never works. Didn't work for Levitz and Legion, didn't work for Claremont and X-Men, hasn't really worked for Conway and Spider-Man right now.

But he's great so far in The Terrifics

>EVS and Firestorm in the same sentence
Sounds like she saved us from garbage, user.

Never read Fury of firestorm eh?

Attached: nuclear brofist.jpg (1015x948, 512K)

It’s only been one issue though

wonder if we'll see Woozy Winks

this is going to be the new "America"

literally guaranteed the worst comic of all time

I've read at least 1 story arc of everything she ever wrote. She is arguably the worst writer in DC's entire history.

>Not him
Prove it.
>Didn't work for Levitz and Legion
It did. Just like Starlin and Thanos.

As the other user said, it's just one issue and it's not written by Gail Simone.

>The stuff we're seeing in Deadpool and Harley Quinn now, Plastic Man was doing in the 1940s.

She has NO understanding of the character.

It's a human being that behaves like a Looney Tunes character. This isn't that fucking complicated.

KSD has done great work before, she was just a horrible fit for Carol Danvers. And Gail Simone is a fantastic writer, fuck you.

>KSD has done great work before

Attached: scfww26.jpg (317x198, 19K)

Her Osborn mini was pretty great. Can't really think of anything else. Not that user.

I did but it's been so long I've forgotten just about everything.

I remember there were evil Firestorm fusions, and other versions of Firestorm for each country, and eventually they got around to figuring out how to properly fuse into a normal Firestorm.

>only one person could ever disagree with me
And here we see the retardation blossom
>it did [work with Levitz]
You liked this fucking garbage? and he we see the retardation bloom. Starlin it worked a few times but that well has long run dry, it hasn't worked this century.

Attached: legion green lantern.jpg (1280x1979, 626K)

>Chuck Austen has worked for DC
Please don't even go there. She's not even the worst woman to ever write for DC as Devin Grayson has done work there too.

What's the backstory behind this?