Question: How big is Marvel & DC comics in Japan? Impact wise

Attached: carol.png (488x621, 435K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TjdPdrQ1cVo
youtube.com/watch?v=-aqZ6aDCiks
youtube.com/watch?v=HbZSVhfPjiA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i meet a lor of westaboos, they relly like comics

Actual COMICS? Negligible sales wise which is most important and usually years behind.

But Sup Forums will tell you it's super popular because the movies do well and there's plenty of fanart. Movies are popular, comics are not.

let me guess they have wonder woman body pillows?

Attached: 2aa.gif (640x480, 1.61M)

That'as a nice Carol, why can't we have Carol and instead we got Carl?

I mean, my hero academia takes a bit from marvel and dc and I think one punch man does too

there may be some more subtle influence too but I'm not sure what exactly. I vaguely remember seeing that devilman was influenced by western comics

basically any other media expect comics

It depends. The IPs are vaguely valuable, the Capcom Marvel fighting games saw to that even before the movies started to come out. The movies, of course, do really well in most markets, and that includes Japan. There are multiple attempts since the 60s to market Marvel heroes to a Japanese audience. One of the first tokusatsu heroes was Spiderman, for example, and Super Sentai started as an attempt to adapt Captain America. Plus you still see anime being made every so often of Marvel heroes trapped in a collectable card game or whatever. There was a Batman manga and probably something else I'm forgetting.
The market for the actual books is niche. Not everything gets translated, and neither company seems to know how to sell to Japan. The larger comic audience in Japan don't seem to like waiting on monthlies that aren't even translated and easy to pick up, but you have some westaboos.
Its appeal/penetration is similar to that of anime in the States back in the 80s and early 90s, I believe. You get a subsection of nerds that are into it, and a few comic artists that are super into the stuff. Since both are more likely to be online and posting fanart and whatever, the population size seems larger than it really is.

Not being japanese and having never set foot in Japan i wouldn't imagine western comics do well there.

There simply isn't enough fan service and with the whole SJW bullshit they're shoving down our throats i just don't see western comics actually having any chance to make a breakthrough anytime soon either.

I've seen that many like almost everything related to flashfamily / batFamily.

it's niche and very few comic stores carry western comics so if a person is into them they have to order online and be ok with delays and stuff.

still, it's a growing market

>Went to Japan last year
>Spot this in a shop
Would've bought it if my Japanese weren't shit

Attached: yoji-shinkawa-wonder-woman-anthology-pie-comics-art-couverture[1].jpg (679x1000, 162K)

what Japanese based characters such as Katana?

Attached: katana___suicide_squad_by_dyanawang-dal73g3.jpg (600x927, 146K)

>What about C-list characters that people would only know from a completely garbage motion picture?
Yeah I bet Katana's huge in Japan

They are more into Marvel thanks to spidey's super hentai series where he pilots a robot.

....too easy

>spidey's super hentai series

Attached: 1468755377095.gif (384x408, 182K)

>MGS-like Wondy game
It might just be crazy enough to work!

I really don't think Japan gives a shit about the character being Japanese or not.

They give a shit about cute girls, tits and ass and aren't cucking themselves over it like western countries are right now. I wouldn't mind hunky guys either, but it's the whole "no more sexualizing! is bad!" that is making it impossible for it to succeed in Japan compared to manga/anime where cheese/fan-service is standard practice.

Let's just fucking admit were human and that sex sells.

so a slutty Katana would be more acceptable than a regular Katana?

Grumpy anime Carol is cute. CUTE!

Japan fucking loves Deadpool and the X-Men. And Super M, Bats, and WW have a fuck ton of fans too. Mangaka over there have made series with their character influence.

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 78K)

I don't think slutty is the right word, more like provocative and with actual character.

I would watch the fuck out of a Wonder Woman anime.

Why would Japan care about American superheroes when they have their own capeshit that caters more to their tastes?

Attached: jap shit.jpg (826x1242, 461K)

>Implying that there is anything wrong with that.

Attached: 1496618930377.jpg (1565x2319, 1.31M)

Generally? Not that big until recently. But there was a strong niche audience since the 70s. Spiderman and X-Men mostly. You tend to see it as an influence of a lot of artists who grew up in the 80s. Watsuki, author of Rurouni Kenshin; Murata, artist of Eyeshield21 and One Punch Man is a massive spiderman nerd; the guy that did Read Or Die is an X-men fan; several Trigger artists are general comic, animation, and film fans on an international and art first kind of basis, etc...

Because ultimately, the average fan consumes superhero fiction from all across the world if available and good and/or interesting enough.

the writer or trigun is a big spiderman fan. monev the gale is an anagram for venom and his look took inspiration from him

Attached: trigun8.jpg (720x536, 50K)

If that were true, capeshitters wouldn't read only Big Two stuff.

Surely even the Amerigringos read or watch other superhero stuff.

Most of them don't. I constantly rec non-Big Two superhero stuff to capefags here, and everyone always acts like I insulted their mother.

The comics are utterly irrelevent. Hardly a spec in a massively oversaturated domestic market that produces much more, faster, and arguably better products the same is incidentally true for french-speaking Europe whre american comics are far less popular than the local production and even manga
The movies qre doing well sure, but just like in the US, that alone isn't enough to really boost the comics sales.

I teach in schools in Japan and there's pretty much no such thing as a kid that doesn't know Marvel in some shape or form. Almost every third pencil case, lunch mat or school bag has some form of Marvel log on it. DC much less so. They'll know who Batman and Superman are, but they couldn't tell you what DC is. It's not a household name like Marvel is over here.

Attached: 1c68d7fd-ab1b-425e-bd4d-d74163374e97.jpg (960x1280, 347K)

DC is more popular in Europe

Except for Spain. You can blame Franco for that one.

Yes, I know the history well, The funny thing is that the rebirth in Spain was quite successful, as in France DC it is more popular and in England even though 2000AD still has its market

Frogistani, can confirm. as far as comics go, DC takes the cake. Loads of very smart marketing and editorial decisions to better get into the market, seems to pay off really well.
But the Marvel movies still do better.

That Carol is so fucking cute.
Why don't we get a cute Carol anymore?

cause once you leave the big two the non-superhero stuff really shits all over the superhero stuff. Why read Valiant when I can read Requiem Vampire Knight? There is just so much better stuff to waste time on it

Attached: requiem hitler large.jpg (3201x2145, 1.64M)

One Punch Man and now My Hero Academy are pretty popular here in the states for anime series.

Jap stuff doesn't count for capeshitters. It's a very twisted logic, like they'll watch non-superhero movies and such, but god forbid you recommend them a non-Big Two comic.

Why is Carol so hot here and so washed in the comics?

because her artists are chosen for their political beliefs and not their artistic skill

It's a good thing cape shitters are a dying breed.

Now the only thing we have in any meaningful quantity are shitters. Just regular old normie shitters.

You act like America hasn't always been retarded about sex and demonizing it for no good reason. Before it was evil and sinful and now it's sexist and degrading. It's the same retarded conservative values but the semantics are different. Literally nothing else is different. You reap what you sow when you teach your kids to be afraid of sex by being christfags.

sad

Why wouldn't a nip that's interested in superheroes want to experience everything related to it? Hasn't stopped me from enjoying shit like Kamen Rider even though I'm on the other side of the planet with local options as well.

Because Marvel doesn't seem to know what her personality is. Is it really so much to ask for the huggable curmudgeon Carol instead of... whatever the fuck they feel like having her act this week?

Marvel is bigger than DC.

So... Nubia is the evil sister?

One of the most popular manga right now, My Hero Academia, is made by a westaboo. His favourite superhero is Spiderman, I think.

Attached: 1517784547791.png (966x379, 555K)

Attached: Spidermans-Booty.jpg (738x984, 107K)

Attached: Deadpool91.jpg (1680x945, 633K)

>huggable
that's sexist
women are beautiful, strong, stunning, wonderful independent fishes who don't need no bicycle
in all seriousness, marvel needs to sort out what they who they want their characters to be. Not what they are because nobody gives a shit about their race, gender or whatfuckingever, WHO. Other than Spiderman, Deadpool and Logan, too many of Marvel characters are interchangable with another because they have no personality whatsoever

Nah, but Devastation would be. Matter of fact, Diana already has a straight up anime rival in Artemis.

For real. This is why Kamala has achieved proven staying power, cause she's a well defined character, not some token.

It has helped that Kamala has had the same writer since the character's creation.

Attached: Kamala Khan03.jpg (655x994, 202K)

Impact Wise, Spiderman is the most popular Marvel Hero in Japan. DC wise, either Superman and Wonder Woman are much more iconic. I know that a lot of anons are saying X-Men are popular, but I really think that it's only the 90s animated verison since they're the most well-known incarnation that represents the X-Men in Street Fighter. Same goes with Spider Man.

I think it's because of the animation and music being better in Japan than America:
youtube.com/watch?v=TjdPdrQ1cVo

Which kind of makes her a Manhunter situation. Kate Spencer has been written exclusively by Andreyko until recently.

Goddamn I wish more people knew about Kate. She awful, but that was makes her so great. And frankly, that should be Carol's deal as well.

Zero, Japan hates with passion films based on comics and comics don't have a market at all. When I say Japan hates those films I'm saying not one film by Marvel or DC is a success there. WonderWoman? they don't care, Black Panther? nothing. While the Dark Knight got 15 millions an animated film like Frozen got 150 millions cause Japan likes animation and technology so when an animation has a new kind of technology it's exactly what they're interested in.

I remember growing up and thinking it was super weird for people to be atracted to wonder woman. I mean, dude, its fucking wonder woman! She is a symbol! She is not for that!
But now I understand, tho I dont partake on being atracted to her.
Supergirl is game tho

I love it!

HAHAHAHAHA Every single girl in anime has a Katana, boring, nothing special just because she's japanese.

Wonder Woman was a big influence on Sailor Moon. The Salior Scouts were inspired by the Lynda Carter portrayal of the character in the TV show.

The films do okay, so I wouldn't say Nips hate it.

I would love for jap video game companies to have the license to make DC/Marvel vidya like Capcom did in the 90s.

Attached: latest[1].jpg (550x800, 88K)

If they want Carol to be their Wonder Woman, they need her to act the part.

Diana has the strong and sturdy body of a female warrior (Most of the time), but there are also qualities to her that are beautiful and delicate.
Part of Diana's appeal is that she shows she can play with the boys, but she never forsakes her traditional female qualities.

Carol is usually drawn with dyke hair and a boxy frame with little to no curves. The few artists that do draw her traditionally feminine, with curves and nice, long, bouncy hair? Carol looks fantastic even with the current uniform.

The other issue is just personality.
Diana has poise and dignity, but she also likes a good fight. She may have no qualms about killing people and flexing her muscles when someone needs intimidating, but she's also very kind and warm when she needs to be. Diana, for all her strength and power and unwillingness to back down, is usually approachable.

Carol on the other hand is often a militant bitch and often comes off as stand offish.

Diana is the heroine who finds a lost child, scoops them up in her arms, and personally brings them right to their parents and lingers just long enough to enjoy the sight of a happy family reunion with a smile on her face, giving the child a pat on the head, possibly a hug, and gives them some inspirational words on how to be a good person before flying off.
Carol drops the kid off at the police station and lets it be their problem.

And yes, Wonder Woman has her bitchy moments, but those are exceptions. With Carol, being a cunt is the expectation out of the gate.

Like the west Batman is the most popular DC Character. I remember them liking spiderman but that might have changed.

Not surprising. Batman works incredibly well with Japanese sensibilities.

日本人here.

The comics are barely known beyond the nerds. It's live action, video games, and animation , in that order.

Because conventionally attractive women are sexist to the people that matter.

LOL. She's as Japanese as Panda Express.

Sold.
>where he pilots a robot.
And another set for my friends.

Yes and no. Having a japanese character to explain shit to is desirable, but it's absolutely not a requirement at all, and the character they pick has NOTHING to do with SJW style intersectionality. And T+A is a higher priority.

Specific examples: Capcom NEVER picked sunfire. Psylocke is considered racist as fuck, but she was the clear asian choice. Silver Samurai was acceptable, but not a priority.

Xmen anime used Armor, who is much more like an actual japanese person than say sunfire..

I barely know my katana characters. But a Katana that fits into the traditional anime tropes would be the best choice. And being afraid of fanservice is for bitches.

Attached: MDW_TheAvengers[1].jpg (1366x768, 135K)

One question, just out of curiosity, are suicide rates as high as they were several years ago or are they still the same?
also the public of idols are pure fatboys or are there also young people among that fandom?

I find that hard to believe so source?

Accurate suicide rates are hard to judge. It's on a decline, but still sky high.

>also the public of idols are pure fatboys or are there also young people among that fandom?
Fat people, like average American walmart fat are VERY rare in Japan. Idols have a wide range of fans.

nope, the films are dead in Japan, a film can get 150 millions as Frozen and several film have showed but Marvel films don't get a cent there and they have tried a lot for example the SpiderMan OST for Japan included a song by TM Revolution (famous in Japan) and cool song really but nobody watched the film anyway.

I think Marvel/Disney is very interested in sell its comics in Japan like a way to promote their films but Japanese writers aren't just employees normally and the readers aren't interested for several reasons I can mention later but the case is that they don't care about comics so Disney had an idea they're gonna pay for a spot in Shounen Jump (one of the most famous magazines/publishers in Japan) to publish a manga version of Spider or the Xmen and they'll see what happens.

I'm not American, I think I said it badly to what I was referring to,I was referring more to the nerd stereotype of a strange subject with colored sticks, but I think I'm wrong

She looks like a Char Clone in some Gundam series.

>are pure fatboys

Because of what Japanese people eat and the race you won't see one single fatboy in a multitude, it takes work to find a fatboy.

I'm not sure. It aired in Japan at the right time, and had some similar things, but women in toku was also a thing at the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=-aqZ6aDCiks
youtube.com/watch?v=HbZSVhfPjiA

Spiderman is big, but he's had a string of blah movies.

Those guys are real. Relatively normal people are also fans too.

A female char would be a much better character than many other ideas pitched.

In my opinion WW didn't have anything to do

>And being afraid of fanservice is for bitches.
This.

Attached: Cyclone wears no panties.jpg (1988x3056, 964K)

Japan: population= 127 millions
Film : Suicide S =15 millions (like TDK)

I know it's a stupid question, but, how are the sleeves distributed? It's like in the United States with comics that are sold only in specialized locations in that or is something more as bookstores or tore toys

manga distributed*

mangas you mean?

Tangentially related but Hellboy in Hell was released in Japan recently and it's been pretty popular.

Attached: 966fa3c3-ea36-4f6a-9394-59f45cb3c341.jpg (540x720, 79K)

I feel the same way still. I don't want to imagine Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman having sex. They can certainly imply it, i just don't want to see it. Too weird.

Mignola's recent art does look like some stylized anime, so I can see why.

source?

Okay, Mangas are own by the writer instead of the publisher and a publisher is more or less like Imagine but instead of individual issues several monthly mangas are compiled in a magazine that has at least 200 pages and you can buy them like you buy newspapers, in their "mangashops" or literally everywhere

*owned

Also the Japanese love stories about demons working for good.

Attached: 8c6d4a78-276c-4b05-9d73-38256db7ecd1.png (800x1182, 794K)

Yes, yes, I knew how it is formatted, what I was interested in knowing was if they only sold them in mangashops like in the USA with the comics or was, as you say, everywhere, thanks

I forgot after the issues of your monthly manga are compiled in vols like comics but usually they have 200 pages. A chapter can have 20 pages if weekly or 50 or even 60 if monthly

Barely a bilp on the radar. But he got a super huge push from live action films and a massive dickwaxing from many highly respected mangaka. The Van Helsing dude, the Yugio dude, I think the Berserk dude, Bronson ect.

Is almost as hard as getting import manga in America. SOME comic book/toy stores will have them. Most regular book stores will not. Maybe one or two from marvel or DC.

What happens to the used Idols? Like the ones who have been replaced by the "The New Idols?" Do they retire, go into obscurity, what happens to them? They seem to be there one minute, gone the next.

Attached: 1489105883236.png (720x600, 46K)

I was referring to the mangas, so many places sell manga in Japan and the variety of these in the market

>le christianity is regressive meme

Attached: 1520561052240.jpg (359x394, 140K)

A few go into other media roles, like acting.

Most become normal invisible japanese citizens.

It's not Van Helsing but Hellsing