Alan Moore is Indisputably the GOAT

Name a better comic book writer in the medium’s entire history. I’m waiting.

Attached: FEF51307-A6F5-432B-BC36-57CF1D8AF0B5.jpg (736x774, 135K)

Promethea a best.

Miller

His prose writing skills are the best in comics, but his content is SHIT to the point that he's reliant on using other people's characters because all his original shit is GARBAGE. Plus he turned to complete irredeemable shit about a decade and a half ago. Overall only Swamp Thing and maybe a few other things that he did in the 80s still hold up.

will eisner

nigga eisner couldn't write for shit

amazing artist, but don't pretend he could write

Gilbert Hernandez

>V for Vendetta is garbage
>Top 10 is garbage
>Constantine is garbage

Name single good Miller work from the 21st century

> contract with god
> Spirit
> new york stories
> not well written

Attached: obi.png (230x299, 110K)

Chris Claremont /thread

Attached: 1514700336261.png (214x236, 3K)

Martha Washington Dies
Orion #3
Dark Knight Last Crusade

they really aren't

he's only made 3 bad comics in his ENTIRE career

why hold that against him when alan moore's made DOZENS of shitty comics?

Attached: Grant-Morrison-by-Frank-Quitely.jpg (1080x720, 216K)

Why is Grant Morrison still considered one of the greats? He's never been able to write anything other than superheroes and all his relevant works were like 10-30 years ago.

>He's never been able to write anything other than superheroes and all his relevant works were like 10-30 years ago.
So like Alan Moore except with slightly more recent relevant works?

Moore could do some decent non-superhero stuff though, which Morrison has never really been able to do at all.

Alan Moore writing Star Wars is weird.

>Invisibles
>We3
>New Adventures of Hitler
>The Filth

>From Hell - 1989-1996
>A Small Killing - 1991
>League Extraordinary Gentleman - 1999-Present
>His early 2000 AD work
See Also, having a favorite genre to write for doesn't really make them bad writers. Tolkien only wrote fantasy yet we still consider him a great writer.

Name a single good Moore work from the 21st century.

Attached: 1365120232805.gif (178x179, 2.99M)

Cary Bates

Kirby.

Top 10
Promethea

I said good, user.

Tom King.

Arguably Grant Morrison too.

Kirby had a great imagination, but he wasn't that great of a writer.

>it's a "don't bother replying because I'll just respond in a cheeky manner" episode
Why do networks only ever fucking air this "you're mad by virtue of replying" and "I was merely pretending to be retarded"? Trolling was a great series, there were a lot better episodes than that.

Jack Chick

He's not wrong though, Promethea and Top 10 were no Watchmen or Moore era Swamp Thing. That's like saying Happy! or Klaus were on par with The Invisibles or Morrison era Doom Patrol. They're all good (Klaus might even be my favorite Morrison work), but each respective latter couple of examples isn't something most would consider a classic artist defining achievement. Which is to be expected, artists like this don't usually have their greatest work happen decades after already having written really great works. In fact I don't think that ever happens, in comics, in music, or in pretty much any other artistic endeavor. When an artist is already really well established and it's decades later their new work is more like a novelty gimmick than a classic, like "oh, it's that famous guy and he did something new, that's cool."

Just because the man is covered in thick hair is no excuse to call him a barnyard animal.

What the fuck is wrong with his fingers? Jesus fucking christ, Frank!

Paul Chadwick
Grant Morrison

kek
kek

I admit I haven't read his entire bibliography (just Planetary, The Authority, and Transmetropolitan), but is there any reason why Warren Ellis wouldn't be in the running?

Transmetro alone is probably my favorite comic book of all time.

Frank Quitely is an acquired taste.
I really like his art and like how it automatically makes me think "this is a Morrison story," but I also get that a lot of people hate it and think his faces look bad. It's distinctive whatever it is, you can tell very easily when you're looking at Quitely drawn characters.

I don't like Warren Ellis stuff much personally, but I would agree he's done a lot of really well known / now classic comics.

Neil Gaiman

>they're good
Then he is wrong because that's exactly what we're talking about, good Moore books in the 21st century which both of them are.

I would've been a titantic faggot and posted Morrison (and that's not a slight, I really do like most of Morrison's work outside of shit like the Mystery Play and Nameless), but having recently read Providence, I was amazed by how fucking good Moore still is. Even though he's written some shit I didn't care for, the guy's still the best writer the medium has. Nobody else comes close.

They're good, not "good in the context of Moore's total body of comic works" good.
The context matters.

Ennis

Klaus was equally recent (more recent if you count all the once a year Christmas continuation stories, which I do) and is really good Morrison material.
I mean, it was a Santa Claus superhero origin story where the toy making elves were reimagined as psilocybin facilitated contact with extradimensional self-transforming machine elves Terence McKenna style. It's not a bunch of clever prose or moody dark atmosphere panels like Moore's work but it's not any lesser in quality in my opinion anyway, just something completely different, like trying to compare really good steak with really good ice cream just because they're both food. Ice cream isn't ever going to be good if you're judging it by how much it's like steak, but there certainly exists ice cream that's as high quality as a high quality steak but for ice cream.

Attached: Klaus1_p20.jpg (734x441, 122K)

matt fraction

moore is......not good

Attached: klaus-elves.jpg (993x762, 354K)

Attached: Klaus1_p22.jpg (716x608, 193K)

I don't have it on my new computer so I missed a bunch of panels, but this is some idea of what Klaus was like anyway.

Attached: Klaus1_p24.jpg (749x793, 243K)

Attached: Klaus12.jpg (1080x838, 430K)

Attached: 5xzyj7.jpg (781x1200, 416K)

Klaus is damn good, but I still think Moore's body of work is stronger than Grant's.

promethea is pretty dope

>From Hell
>good

Hahahahaha!

Klaus is one of his weakest works.

Geoff Johns has already overtaken him with Doomsday Clock.

John Wagner

Warren Ellis

Necronomicon or whatever it's called

Providence

he wrote a book titled "Jerusalem". haven't read it yet but i did like Voice of Fire. that was definitely good.

We3 is one of the most memorable comics i've ever read and i dislike grant morrison. We3 is definitely one for morrison. not of a fan of much else though

>arguing over who is best funny book writer

Attached: drive 2 Carpool.jpg (1200x798, 257K)

>Necronomicon
Is Rape a literary technique?

I had a good laugh.

this is a good answer, but i don't think they're comparable. moore is a good comic book writer and writer in general because he actually appreciates the medium, is a fan of the medium and can compliment the medium well. neil gaiman is a genius because he pushed the envelope for the medium and for writing sandman and his poetry is fucking bomb. they are the top two comic writers but i can't say that one is better than the other. nor did you say how or why gaiman might be better

look, warren ellis is great at being creative, but he never commits. he's like the attention deficit disorder of decent comic writers.

let's be honest. Injection seemed like a continuation of Planetary. it would have been nice if he'd been able to just have an ongoing planetary comic that shifts back and forth between the two sets of characters between planetary and injection

we aren't necessarily arguing. we could just be disagreeing with each other in our spare time

i don't know. ask the current writers who work on the x-me

haw haw!!

>because all his original shit is GARBAGE.

What is
>Ballad of Halo Jones
>V for Vendetta
>Top Ten
>Promethea
>D.R. & Quinch
>Tom Strong

Etc.

>but is there any reason why Warren Ellis wouldn't be in the running?

Because for the past decade Ellis has primarily done self-indulgent creator owned stuff that doesn't really hold up and even when it was coming up, it was largely just okay. Does anybody remember even his Avatar books like Gravel, Blackgas, Doktor Sleepless, Anna Mercury, aptain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island, Ignition City or Supergod?

>Frank Quitely is for people with taste and appreciation for talent.

Fixed.

>supergod
It that the comic with those scientists jacking off to mushrooms or was that Albion

Moore >>>>>>> Miller >> Milligan >> Ennis > Dorkin > Carey > the rest idc

I bet Kot is a big fan of Ellis

lol it was the one with the scientists jacking off to mushrooms. it was a pretty good comic

Grath Ennis

Because nobody shills Avatar as they do for Image. You can say the same for all the Lapham, Ennis and Moore penned Avatar comics.

It's the worst comic by him though.

yawn

Attached: yawn.gif (600x191, 14K)

No it isn't. We3 is great, no fucking way is it worse than shit Morrison phoned in like Annihilator.

Attached: we3-spread-1.jpg (2048x1590, 733K)

What possible problem could you have with Klaus?

Otto Binder

Attached: wong.png (301x285, 90K)

This. Moore has never written something as technically stunning as Born Again. Nobody has.

I sincerely get angry over people not only disagreeing but thinking Miller is shit.

You seem like the guy who thinks Disney movies are the peak of storytelling.

Another blatant movie pitch.