Jessica Cruz the perfect example?

Jessica is the best example of how to introduce a character that is a minority in modern times without feeling forced or following an agenda and being loved. And have a good growth as a character without having to use cheap arguments that is hispanic or first female green lantern of earth instead based on an interesting personality and good stories and plus having also a sexual appeal.

Attached: Green Lanterns (2016-) 025-013.jpg (1140x2041, 1.43M)

yes jessica is perfect

>Good stories
Kek

Robbie Reyes was good too but Marvel decided to piss his potential away

Attached: all-new-ghost-rider-ghost-rider-logo1.jpg (1500x1000, 377K)

No. Johns is a moron that failed to come out with the idea of having an hispanic character that isnt American, just like his Muslim character is also American... The 5th and 6th American lanterns in one generation, that speaks a lot of how talented and imaginative johns is.

Yeah I know the last couple of arc stories have not been the best but overall it's been a good run her book.

Americans are better, amigo. No matter their heritage.

Jessica is a character first. Her defining trait is her overcoming anxiety. Her being Latina is just an added point, never the point. In fact the only time I remember she's Latina was in Priest's JL when she spoke Spanish for reasons.

Jessica sucks because she's supposed to be a NEET recluse who hasn't seen the sun for years but looks like she could have walked off a fashion show runway.

If you're going to have a character have such an extreme trait, have them look like it.

Humphries did a good job with the new lanterns (except for a couple of issues). This coming from someone who absolutely despises the way Marvel plays the diversity game. IMO, the way Humphries humanized the characters in the series and gave them relatable flaws (other than the "muh oppressed minority" flaw) really sold it for me.

>Blue Beetle Jaime
>Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes
>Green Lantern Jessica Cruz
>Sideways
First one desperately needs good writers, second is now stuck in supporting role with no book, third might be stuck as a rookie for some time, and the last one might not get traction/forgotten in 2 years

Attached: Sideways 4.jpg (1200x1821, 688K)

Decent at best, was boring as fuck.

Its comics. Everyone looks like a fucking hot model because artist can only draw two body types with varying heights.

Works out better that way. An American-Minority would be easier to write for than X character from a character you've never visited and have no interest in learning about for monthly rag. Try to writer her as if from SA or something and she'll come off as sterotype or out of place.

And really, she shouldn't be an American anyways considering she comes from an earth whose entire premise is based on everyone being an asshole and doing the wrong thing.

such a great start...

>Its comics. Everyone looks like a fucking hot model because artist can only draw two body types with varying heights.
Doesn't mean it's not shit

Are you seriously complaining about hot women in funny books

She's also got a neat origin. It's not anything amazing but it's better than "this person also gets a lantern ring!"

Jess is thicc

Attached: Green Lanterns (2016-) 029-010.jpg (1027x1628, 1.21M)

For a time I kind of wished Jess kept the Power Ring persona longer instead of being a dime a dozen Lantern. However I do think they managed to do a good job justifying her progression, and a anxiety stricken GL is an interesting concept

Attached: Jessica Cruz Power Ring.jpg (900x1366, 173K)

Post Jessica butt plz

>tfw you will never have a big brother like Robbie to take care of you even if you are ever crippled
>tfw you will never see him get his own OG nemesis, a crib out da hood, and his own series

She actually taught her ring to speak Spanish as well in her main book, I found it added a fun layer to her character.

English writers have literally zero issues writing Americans. Johns is lazy as fuck and you cheer his laziness.

Attached: jl1-600x523.jpg (184x339, 71K)

>English writers have literally zero issues writing Americans
Tell that to Morrison. All his characters sound like autistic Scots

Will Jess get a steady relationship with another DC character? She's been with Barry Allen, but I haven't been following Justice League in Rebirth, so I don't know how far the writers have gone to commit Barry and Jessica together. Apparently she also kissed Batman in JL, anyone know what the follow-up to that was?

Simon and Jessica have also been hinted at, but I think the current arc will have them remain friends/GL buddy cops, but it might happen since Jessica has been looking at Simon in a different light.

Pairing her with John Stewart would be another possibility, since Jess is obviously attracted to him. It would a good way to connect Green Lanterns and Hal n Pals, since these books haven't really interacted since Simon and Jess being trained by Kyle and Guy for 2 issues.

Attached: jessica cruz.jpg (494x980, 129K)

Americans as a whole have a limited scope of the world beyond their boarders. Its just a result of us being #1 and living in a huge country.

Its not cheering his laziness. Its just realizing that given his work and investment in the character, he'd never get an authentic take down right and it'd just come off as some cheap stereotype. If you want authentic sounding character of X race/background either hire more (sane) X writers or invest in better writers like the english counterparts.

Otherwise take what you can get.

Jessica isn't a bad character, but I prefer Kenan Kong. Jessica might as well be white 99% of the time, just colored a little darker. Her Hispanic heritage does nothing for her character.

Kenan is a Chinese character who acts like he's Chinese, in a book full of Chinese culture and references, but still manages to be interesting.

Attached: mmx0p6vmanhpmx2tyep3.png (2069x1114, 2.93M)

>Kenan is a Chinese character who acts like he's Chinese, in a book full of Chinese culture and references, but still manages to be interesting.
Because he's from China and most of the story takes place in China. If anything, Jessica is American. Mexican(?) American, si but still American.

Name the perfect husband for Jess
hardmode: no Simon

But chicx it's 2015! America has no culture, amigx. Only colorful immigrants have culture!

They fucked up the second try for a solo by kicking it off with Circle of Four 3, instead of just letting it be a Robbie GR story. At least he is still getting pushed by being part of the upcoming Avengers line up.

Nightwing

Just because the majority of people in a country have pale skin doesn't make them all the same you retarded millennial trash. I'm Mexican but don't you dare lump me in with douchebags from Cuba and sissy boys from Puerto Rico.

Simon wouldn't have been the answer anyway

>Circle of Four
>OOC X-23, Asian Beta Hulk, ??? Venom, and based Latino Ghost Rider
Would've had only one redeeming factor in Robbie but would've been shit all around..

I was Jessica to sit on my face.

Attached: ai7ssf2atwi01.jpg (675x1025, 92K)

How good is the Green Lanterns run with Jessica? I remember everyone liking it when Humphries was the writer. Is it still a good read after he left?

The Humphries run is good until the very very end. The new run is dull as hell

Shhh shhh... You're a Person of Color. I have a Women's Studies degree. I know what's wrong in the world and how you're suffering. Let mama take care of you, proud PoC

me

Attached: 1497552583723.jpg (928x1716, 485K)

Fuck off Seeley, you are a shit writer

Honestly, how can't anyone realize just how patronizing it is to get offended on another race's behalf? If it were as offensive as you thought it'd be there'd be actual people for the ethnic group your "representing" marching beside you. Oh, what am I saying? We all know those idiots don't march like they screech about on twitter.

Personally I liked it, wish the series had been allowed to continue for another six or so issues

It would've been gold without not!X-23 and Asian hulk. Robbie dealing with that ex-gangbanger alone would've been a fucking amazing starting arc.

Jessica is American just like every other character in every other comic. There isn't a shred of Mexican in her, which is exactly the wrong way to write a minority.

You know damn well half that success was Tradd's art.

Its one of the only good ways. A lot of minorities feel ostricized because they're expected to behave like a stereotypical minority. They can't ever talk in an American accent without someone from either side commenting on it or saying how white they sound. It's fine to have a minority character behave like an American. If you want to go the long mile and incorporate a lot of cultural nuances to them go for it but you don't have to and too much of it will feel really forced.

I kind of want Jess to have her own Steve Trevor. A guy that is brave no matter how in over his head he is and she ends up having to save him half the time. They can take turns inspiring each other and being the damsel in distress.

>how to introduce a character that is a minority in modern times without feeling forced or following an agenda and being loved
Easy. Make good characters and everything else becomes secoundary.

Attached: Extreme_Ghostbusters_Characters.jpg (401x276, 170K)

So you want comics to be full of white people, just colored brown?

Nah, I'd like comics to be filled with a rainbow of pale to dark skinned people.

That's how most DC legacies tend to work. Someone post the Nicola Scott quote.

With Simon it was intentional because he's a self-insert

race ≠ culture

He knew he couldn't pull that off.

Best way to make sure a Legacy character gets received well is to NOT spit in the face of the legacy.

Ted Kord was basically revered in the OG Jaime Reyes run, and so was Barry in the Waid/Millar/Morrison run.

You want comics to be full of America wannabes who speak broken Spanglish?

And conversely with Kyle Rayner they unnecessarily (since he was just going to leave the corps originally anyway) demonized Hal and demolished the status quo just to make him a special snowflake.

same language.

Volthoom

An example of a bad way to replace a DC hero would be the transition from Hal to Kyle. Probably why with all the legacy heroes in DC Kyle was the one met with the most resistance

I want a Jess skin in Injustice 2!

>White People
Americans, you dingus. She was born in America and she speaks American English. The color of her skin has nothing to do with the culture she grew up with.

Attached: Garth Ennis was right.jpg (490x762, 78K)

I appreciated that with Laura and Gabby the comic fit into Continuity, in AN Wolverine the two of them had left the east coast to travel to the west coast and eventually Japan, and same with Cindy, due to the events of Clone Conspiracy she was also on the west coast at the time. I can’t say the same for Amadeus, he could have been removed from the comic and nothing of value would have been lost.

If that were published today, it'd be considered racist or alt-right

Good and Bad pic. Good cause the message has a lot of reasoning. Bad because literally no one has ever given a fuck about him being from a different species.

I just really liked that the Power Ring had its own personality and using it was a real danger to Jessica.

Attached: Jessica Cruz02.jpg (944x1600, 548K)

I didn't ask for your thoughts on the page.

But they just had to drag down Robbie didn't they? Couldn't have let him have a legendary legacy start.

Alright I can't be the only one to notice this.
Her skin colors keeps changing.
Is she Italian or something?
I mean my Grandpa used to be so dark he could be mistaken for black.

You can't criticize a character just because you're racist and you think everyone who isn't white should be portrayed as a stereotype. Suburban Americans grow up the same. Realistically she might occasionally eat something different and speak a different language when around certain relatives, but none of that is required to be shown. Plus in the book they use Simon for cultural exploration and anxiety for Jessica, so it would be reductive if you focused on race for both of them. It is good to show that it's not always a huge deal to be non-white for every non-white person.

Except for, I dunno, Lex fucking Luthor?

That's a normal mixed ethnic thing. I knew this Spanish guy who was chocolate af but is now pasty white. It was the most awe inspiring physical transformation I have ever witnessed.

I love her

Coloring in comics is inconsistent in general. White character don't have the skin issue as much, but eyes are almost never right unless you're A-List and hair gets messed up a lot too.

He is literally only a single person.

I still want her to get the Ring of Volthoom back

Last I read she was making out with Batman.

Me

>" Bad because literally no one-"
You should literally stop talking.

are you one of those guys that gets literally butt hurt over people using literally non-literally? you do know that by caring you are even more retarded than those people, right?

You would think it wouldn't be an issue with the advent of digital coloring. Y'know droplet tool and all.

>plus having also a sexual appeal
I think that's the primary appeal rather than a secondary plus.

>You were completely wrong so you have to save face by moving goalposts
I was referring to "no one", which means "no one person or group of persons". Lex Luthor is "one person", ergo you're an idiot.

>making this much of a fuss over a minor fact
lol, calm down

Well....it depends because she isnt like Power Girl type of character so I put her sexual appeal as secondary.

>t-that'll show him!

I imagine a lot of it is deadlines. Script says something like "hispanic woman with long dark hair" and maybe you do a web search for her and see all kinds of shades (maybe even fanart) and just have to guess at what won't piss off the editor.

Real issue is that there aren't any internal character guides that they're supposed to be following. People criticize "house style" as a concept because it could make art boring, but some consistency in just basic modeling would be nice.

lol

And thst means op is retarded. She isnt a diverse character, she is just brown.

tried to read rebirth green lanterns

is fucking shit

Gabby Rivera's America may be more your speed

I think it's good, but it's not flawless. Narration is cluttered/annoying and the art at least for the first two arcs is really sloppy.

I want to say her.

Attached: Recycle picture.png (500x798, 324K)

>Gabby Rivera's America may be more your speed

Or coco.

Jessica is literally Gaby rivera.

It's mediocre and boring.

Post sexy Jessica Cruz pictures, faggots.

Early on sure, but it got political at times in more recent issues. Imagine if Jess went on a page-long rant about Latino immigration to the US and Trump's wall. I don't want politics in my capeshit entertainment. Broader ideals are fine and necessary, like Jessica overcoming anxiety through the willpower that was always inside her, Batman's obsessive adherence to his crimefighting code or Superman always doing the right thing inspiring regular people to better is great. But as soon as writers start forcing real and current political issues in comics the well gets poisoned, because they're taking a side.

You can't expect a fandom to be 100 percent left or right-wing, so you're always going to leave some fans in the cold by jumping on the political bandwagon, no matter what beliefs the writer is trying to push. Capeshit is about the fandom and the entertainment bringing together people who could be completely different, but they all like this one superhero and the ideals they stand for. Popping the bubble of superhero escapism is the same as flipping off a part of the fanbase and the people keeping the project financially profitable. If I wanted the politics of the day, I'd watch the news.