Even Ian Jones-Quartey himself tells people to learn the fundamentals

Even Ian Jones-Quartey himself tells people to learn the fundamentals

Attached: ianjq.png (600x442, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/r33hJ8Dnk6o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you practicing your fundies Sup Forums? How's your loomis?

Attached: e8c78a25c1eb85f859cc836d498142e3.png (752x996, 274K)

...and then does not take his own advice?

Tell him to finish RPG World

he did with the OK KO ep A Hero's Fate

I remember various artists mentioning that learning to draw realistically with figure drawing will actually help make your cartoony stuff look better too

I'm not sure how learning about muscles and skeletons will help improve noodle arms with meatball fists, but sure. Okay.

Yes, that's how all art works, you can't break the rules before you know them.

Here's the fundamentals.

Attached: Art Steps Crash Course.png (1400x6521, 2.92M)

Attached: Line of Action.jpg (576x792, 81K)

Attached: Push It! Drawings.jpg (1200x1650, 586K)

Attached: 1521401169745.jpg (1200x1650, 609K)

Attached: Red Line Push Poses.jpg (924x1200, 134K)

im at level 1 and i'm happy their
is something wrong with me?

Save your favorite art, create a new layer in Photoshop or whatever, trace over with with basic skeletons, then hide the original drawing and see how it's broken down.

Attached: Naruto Pose Breakwdown.jpg (941x1200, 187K)

you'll cowards don't even burne hogarth

Attached: burne-hogarth-dynamic-figure-drawing-37-638.jpg (638x903, 110K)

As long as you're happy. If you're making art for other people to enjoy (IE: An audience) they might not be happy, so you have to decide whether or not that makes you unhappy.

Attached: Body In Boxes.jpg (1270x1417, 86K)

Many ways to draw a muscular character. They don't all have the same Johnny Bravo body type.

Attached: Muscles.jpg (700x4000, 1024K)

Attached: anatomie06_hogarth.png (1211x1500, 287K)

Try doing a gesture drawing with reference, then go over it with color-coded muscles to train your eye to see the anatomy underneath the skin.

Try to sketch as if you're doing the strainy muscles underneath first and follow the motion of that.

Attached: Human Body.jpg (700x5000, 1.15M)

Well, he's right. Either do thay or switch to /3/

Do studies of literally just a single aspect. What if you did a full page of just practicing an open mouth with visible teeth? Nothing wrong with a sketchbook page that is fingers if it helps you learn and memorize the anatomy of it.

Sometimes trying to learn the entirety of the body all at once feels like trying to learn the whole alphabet in one go, rather than slowing down and writing A over and over again until you know how to do it. Then move on to B C D. Just don't get tunnel vision with "A".

Attached: Zootopia Animal Mouths.jpg (1020x1200, 360K)

These guides are made because even professional artists at Disney need refresher courses when they're trying to master a character. They don't have the immediate knowledge in their brain all at once, even Glen Keane needs to spend months practicing muscular figures in anticipation of animating Tarzan.

Attached: Gaston Arms.jpg (1280x826, 380K)

Not everyone uses the same breakdown methods. Some people come up with things unique to them. One person might use boxes, one person might use paper folds. By drawing a lot and practice different methods, you will discover which is most comfortable for you, which is the essence of "drawing everyday". Not so you can do it for the sake of it, but so you can experience many different ways of just doing a gesture drawing or even holding a pencil.

Attached: Folded Hands.jpg (763x436, 37K)

Because that still requires a basic understanding of how the body works. Simplistic does not equal simple to draw.

Attached: Hands Deconstruct 01.jpg (961x1200, 172K)

5 and 6 look like hot garbage though. Like really try hard and stiff. 3rd-4th.

Just gonna post hands for reference now.

Attached: Milt Kahl Hands.jpg (1600x1129, 331K)

Take one hand gesture and draw it with different styles. One is a muscular hand, one is an animal paw, one is pointy villainous fingers, one is slim lady hand, one is stubby kids hand.

They all have the same basic skeleton, but the form changes to capture the character.

Attached: Disney Hands.jpg (600x776, 198K)

How do you capture emotion in a hand? Just looking at these, you can tell which is expressing anger. Jagged gestures and more muscles showing can change a drawing immensely.

In extremely simplistic terms, consider the anger vein you see in old anime faces and how erasing it suddenly makes the character "not angry" anymore.

Attached: Black Hat Hands.jpg (960x840, 121K)

get with the program

Attached: burne-Hogarth-Hand-in-Dynamic-Anatomy.jpg (600x495, 58K)

Don't forget to practice body parts on close-ups. Nothing is more awkward than mastering a cartoon character, then doing a close up and it looks fucking awkward because you have no idea how to make a stick figure look good at a close up when all you can see is dots for eyes and a single line for a mouth.

Attached: Flug on BH's Finger.jpg (1992x1581, 122K)

artists who draw anything mildly exaggerated clearly couldn't know anything about the fundamentals.

Attached: bengus kylo ren.jpg (750x1000, 129K)

Attached: Different Hands 01.jpg (1011x791, 113K)

Even if you hate coloring, you should know the basics of shading, even at a black-and-white surface. It'll help you with your compositions and atmosphere on scenes.

Most storyboards are only done with grey, black, and white, values. You don't need to be a digital painting master to know how to shade a scene.

Attached: Light Sources on Faces.jpg (840x1200, 173K)

Do you look at real life photos for shading refs and your brain struggles to see how they're formed?

Try running them through filters, such as the Photoshop cutout filter, to define the shapes more easily for you to understand.

Attached: Lighting on Faces.jpg (600x1293, 118K)

i know so many artists who didn't learn fundamentals and can draw.

Attached: Face Lighting.jpg (4752x3932, 1.94M)

Don't forget to practice props and clothes. Nude characters helps for form and gesture, but unfortunately, you won't be drawing nude characters if you're working in kids toons.

Attached: Shoes Shoes Shoes.jpg (736x945, 100K)

We all do but they really should pick it up
There's actually a big problem in the industry where these greenhorns that can draw well get into a studio and actually have to be retaught how to draw because they've been doing something wrong for years and never noticed. Do us a favor and save us time/money and read your fuckin Loomis

Hair is an extension of a skeleton, not part of the skeleton. Hair should not cut into the skull, hair styles should be interchangeable between a body template.

Hair can help define a characters' silhouette (Sailor Moon as an obvious one), but they should still be resting on top of the character, not cutting into them.

Attached: Howto Draw Hair.jpg (564x2020, 200K)

The more stain put on a piece of fabric, the less folds. The more a part is bending, the more folds.

A trick is also figuring out how many folds to draw for cartoon characters. This is why you learn fundamentals: You do detailed first then you simplify afterwards to tell yourself what is essential for an animated product.

Attached: Dress Tutorial.png (504x636, 194K)

If you're going into animation, having a very basic knowledge of animation will help you immensely. It will tell you the process that your designs and characters will be going through. It might help you learn how to move them in three dimensions.

You don't need to be Milt Kahl level, you just need to grasp, '"Oh, this character's hair moves like shit in three dimension. How do I cheat it? (EG: Mickey Mouse)" or "Oh fuck, drawing this character's detailed belt is super annoying and unnecessary. Can I simplify it without destroying the design?".

Attached: Ariel Rough Animation.gif (500x462, 581K)

The thumbnail makes it look like I'm looking through a wire fence

i have learned more from watching other artists and anime pictures then a book that i learn to draw/copy and forget in a week or try to use and can't make anything from it

Do you struggle drawing a character when their arm is raised and you can see their underarm? Practice that specific gesture a bunch of times until you understand it. Then practice it with basic keyframes of standing still --> raising an arm so you can understand how the shoulder moves in motion. It helps you remember body form easier.

Attached: Flex Korra.gif (1280x720, 732K)

Even rotoscoping can be helpful exercises. It's the same logic as having to memorize a poem for school so you write it down until you remember it. But you need to be able to do it freehand afterwards to see if it actually sunk in.

Attached: Dog Roll.gif (416x215, 256K)

Don't only reference final product Disney or whatever animation if you plan to learn animation. Reference keyframes, pencil tests, roughs, really simple things as well.

If you only reference the high quality shit that took people months to do and years to learn, you're going to make yourself feel like a piece of shit because you are constantly measuring yourself up to doing Fantasia-level animation on your first go.

Take pic related for example. This is a solid base for keyframes. It just needs some inbetweens and it would be a good animation. And this is something a lot of newbie artists can accomplish doing. It doesn't seem so difficult even though it's using the same principles as theatrical animation, it's just doing it with far less drawings.

Attached: Sobbing Wander.gif (785x768, 938K)

Also pro animators didn't fucking nail their work on their first go. They did very, very, VERY loose gesture roughs to try to capture the motion. This was never used for timing, just for motion of the action and gestures of the drawing.

You never get to see this work because most artists are too embarrassed to show you their extreme roughs or feel like it's not worth showcasing. So you know, they're just like you and all.

Attached: Milt Kahl Rough Gestures.gif (552x485, 499K)

Attached: PatF First Pass.gif (245x220, 829K)

Attached: Mame Odie Rough.gif (500x281, 1008K)

Attached: Mame Odie Clean.gif (500x264, 1008K)

Animation is not about making things move realistically, it's about making things move convincingly and believably.

This is just two individual drawings that use a digital skew to create a squash effect and it still works. You can do a two-frame animation. Hell, most Hannah Barbara car animations were only two drawings.

Attached: Deadly Duo.gif (500x500, 356K)

You first Ian.

Even if you just do keyframed animation to help you practice bodies in motion, which will help you with gesture drawing, then it will serve its purpose as a learning tool. You don't need to dedicate a career path to being an animator if you decide to do animation.

These are really nice drawings even though the timing needs work and could use more inbetweens. Don't be worried about someone shitting on you because you uploaded just a keyframed animation rather than some overly animated fluid shit that looks more "complete".

Attached: Little Witch Dodge.gif (1200x675, 3.39M)

This is like what, ten, twelve drawings? Can you draw your character twelve times? You've probably already drawn them over a hundred in the years you've been drawing (If it's been years), so twelve solid drawings should be a cakewalk.

Attached: Tarzan Runs Thru Curtain.gif (240x240, 181K)

Props have personality too, and are often essential to characters. Don't forget them. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in drawing empty figures on white space that when it comes time to having them holding a book or sitting in a chair, the artist groans because they REALLY don't want to draw a chair... Because they avoided props so much, that it feels like a chore.

Attached: Books in Space.jpg (792x792, 355K)

Draw 20 objects around your room in a simplistic manner. There is more than one kind of glass. There is more than one kind of TV monitor.

Not every character should be holding the exact same, generic shaped Coke Cola bottle. There are a lot more bottle shapes in the world than that.

Attached: Bottles Concept.jpg (1280x1440, 292K)

Also, practice cars. They're one of the most common props.

Cars are similar to people where they all have the same basic skeleton (Four wheels, the hood, windshield above the hood, headlights on the front). Understand that basic shape and you can twist and change it just like you would a character design.

Attached: Cars and Automobiles 01.jpg (1024x576, 91K)

Attached: Cars and Automobiles 02.jpg (1024x576, 91K)

Attached: Cars and Automobiles 03.jpg (1024x576, 88K)

You don't need to be perfect with vehicle drawings. Lots of people when they move on to mechanical work suddenly get nervous because the lines MUST BE PERFECT AND STRAIGHT.

But look how nice these drawings are even though they're jagged, imperfect. The tires are skewed here and there, the windows randomly change shape. But it's a good guide to capture the car in motion and some of the imperfect lines help convey it's speed or power when crashing.

If you move onto a more finalized product, then you can tie it down and make it "more perfect", but until then, no one is going to besmirch these drawings for being rather jagged. So why would they if you were to do it?

Attached: Car Keys Into Ship.jpg (1184x1920, 561K)

Wew. When did this become /ic/?
On that note, anyone here feel like they're good at anatomy?
I haven't drawn in a couple days and I have homework for my illustration class Tuesday

Attached: 1521405484612.jpg (512x384, 13K)

Attached: Cartoon Car Sketches.jpg (1100x711, 358K)

Look how much you can convey with just black and white and a simple drawing pen.

Attached: Many Vroom Vroom.jpg (1190x1920, 640K)

Work like this is fantastic, but it's not the only type of good art out there.

If you yourself love it when an artist has messy sketches and your favorite type of art are loose drawings, why would you think you're the only person who loves it? You don't need to force yourself into high quality illustration just to "look more impressive", because you were already a fan of messy sketches. So someone will become a fan of you for your messy sketches.

Attached: Scooter Watercolor.png (1024x902, 805K)

Fundament is another word for butt hole

Sometimes doing the same logic with props as you would body parts: Do it one at a time. It's hard to draw an entire scene. Maybe just practice trees. Then a house. Then umbrellas. Then a ground plane. Then put it all together and you can make a palm tree beach area with a tiny vacation house.

Attached: Two Tone Home.jpg (2000x1500, 502K)

Bumping with exercises from the Preston Blair book.

Attached: E59B091E-24E1-4B05-8581-AC820C9D39FE.jpg (2048x1536, 526K)

Then you gotta get better study habits

Last thing I'll post for tonight. A page capturing all the elements of an animation pitch: Characters, props, their personalities which are defined through in drawings, minimum amount of words and lets the art do most of the talking.

Look at the goblet. It's not even an actual animation, it's just keyframes, but you can SEE it animated. And that's why it's good to know the basics of animation, just do you can do little things like this stretch and squash when pitching your own work.

Attached: Chivalry Concepts.jpg (1280x828, 405K)

Oh yeah, don't forget to practice your writing, people. Having amazing art skill is great, but only if you plan to work on other people's work forever. If you ever want to make your own story, don't neglect your writing muscle.

Even early Pixar drafts were complete and utter shit at their get-go. No one writes gold off the bat everytime. Your writing is gonna be just like your art: It's gonna suck early on and you'll have to keep working at it and revising it to make it better.

Attached: Toy Story 2 First Draft.png (860x1066, 121K)

Those puppies are doggone adorable

>he fell for the loomis meme

Attached: D6CFD823-E6B2-4CAC-8539-B93C3A3E8D75-400-0000019C2EBE5D09.gif (252x481, 1.23M)

Nah, man, I'm revolutionizing kid's cartoons.

This desu

I know too many people IRL that draw great but reading their work is fucking disgusting

bump

>tfw you realize you're behind in both
Welp, time to /wrists.

>All it did was confirm that Hero and Cherry got together, and that Galgarion survives.

I want some REAL answers!

Real talk though, I'm fucking amazed that he came back to it at all after ten years; though reading through the post he made for it on the RPG World website really makes it sound like it wasn't his idea. His storyboarders kinda muscled him into it and it sounds like he kinda regrets writing RPG World at all. Still, he's got talent, and if he focused a bit harder, I really think he could make something a lot more memorable than OK KO.
That said, at least we can all agree that Reka was best girl.

I started drawing a few months and I'm currently trying to get shading down. I get the basic concept of it but it is a bitch to get down, especially on complex figures.

This shit screams skinnyfat rage

and what exactly it's wrong with it?

Attached: 1514098740082.jpg (200x203, 10K)

I fail to see the importance or learning detailed bones unless you wan to draw a RPG monster manual.

always funny to see people who can't draw sit trying to lecture others on "the good way to become a pro". What they say about teachers is so true in the end.

This has been a good thread, thanks

>how the body works.
who cares when your noodles don't even have a spine or articulated limbs.

>draw a box
>loomis
>anything but memes

Because it helps you to place the muscles you fucking idiot, as well as help to establish landmarks when you're first constructing the figure. Did you know the pectoralis major muscle connects to the humerus? Do you know where? Exactly.

I wish I could draw

I can even write with a normal letter

if you have good art and capacity train hard user
you can do it

*can't

sorry

If only he could tell people this in the actual quality of his work.

He's not as good as bridgman, and his prose is gay!

Attached: 83A379CC-BA37-4D29-9CB9-7DA7DB465264-7986-00000EA864C0D85D.png (923x1021, 33K)

No one likes looking at their amateur work from 20 years ago.

I see no reason to practice if you're not good at drawing

>the fundamentals

youtu.be/r33hJ8Dnk6o

And why would that help unless I'm drawing skinless people?

>only using one teacher to learn anatomy

Even the beaner with public education is better than most Calarts graduates

Yah know I came into this thread expecting twatter drama bullshit and what I got was a fuckton of art advice, thanks really it's a nice change of pace.

If we go by Dobson, Zack from Paranatural, the handstabber from Questionable Content and the guy who draws that tranny Captain America, sometimes practice will only make your art worse.