Why does Sup Forums hate them so much?

Why does Sup Forums hate them so much?

Attached: 8B3CD001-7426-4411-B0BB-BCF7FDBE0DF0.jpg (482x262, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/cal-arts-style.html
youtu.be/rkAznG5Vz1o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not that I hate them, I hate what they've become.
Instead of teaching basic drawing and character animation, they teach trends and styles. While this will be a useful skill, it drives the entire industry down.

Because they are a reign of tyranny, and it must end

Attached: ToonKingdom-GX06-EN-VG.jpg (275x275, 27K)

But outside of the sameface head, what forces the creators from their to use that style?
It’s not like Cal arts is manadotry to get into the industry or even be a creator

It's not mandatory..... but their a lot of significance favoritism for CalArts grads.

Dude, I went to calarts, not one class has anyone being taught about trends or bean faces. It's all up to the student's how they want to design their own characters and style.

That’s just college in general. You go to college/university to make connections and get hired by companies with alumni on the board of directors or die trying.
Or you go rogue and do the uphill battle and feel more satisfied in the end or die trying.

Either way it takes effort, something most anons don’t have. Instead of dying while trying, they die while whining

Yes, what this guy said.

The school still teaches fundamentals, drawing skills, character animation, etc.

It's just known as the best animation school in America, so that's where the industry goes to hire people. And right now the industry sees stuff in the cloth of Adventure Time/rubber hose arms/whatever people on co dislike as the money makers, so it hires people that draw like that. That more simplistic style also saves money for the studios.

Also remember that a lot of Calarts grads go on to work on movies at Disney, Pixar and Dreamworks as background designers, concept artists, and animators. All the stuff you complain about are the few people from the school that went on to work on tv show with an ugly art style.

Because they made me do this.

Attached: calarts_challenge___dbz_characters_by_silverstarapple-dc66jft.png (1024x999, 245K)

Attached: co.jpg (2437x2220, 3.12M)

You’re comparing feature films to tv animation, and even then, some of those shows do move more fluidly than the ones in the foreign category

la creatura...

before CalArts

Attached: rcdart1.png (776x1169, 254K)

It's the Ivy League of Cartooning Schools, people are hired for going to CalArts instead of for their talents.

But that's not the reason Sup Forums hates CalArts, the reason Sup Forums hates CalArts is because they're retards that think that the school itself teaches everyone to draw in the artstyle they don't like, when really that's just studio budget mandates.

and after

yeah those were made by the same person

Attached: rcdart2.png (640x818, 127K)

More like after Steven Universe

>mutt meme
>one is fanart
>feature films vs television cartoons

Attached: 1506722982368.jpg (1000x1000, 76K)

What sweet bro and hella jeff page is this?

>When the studios collapse quality indicators will become a meritocracy again and Calarts will either become a legitimate training ground again or fade into irrelevance
>The studios have already begun collapsing
Feels good.

>some of those shows do move more fluidly than the ones in the foreign category
Prove it

something something Bauhaus something something Frankfurt School something something JEWS

This would be way easier to animate, though.

Spoiled generation

Attached: WMPe1ea11cd-a458-4c93-b887-b23187a317e9[1].png (253x733, 133K)

I kinda like this guy bitching at his fans. At least it shows that he will do what he wants

That's not sweet bro and hella jeff. That's Captain America and Iron Man.

because they couldnt get in. sorta like how hitler was a shitty artist and he turned his hate on jews. Sup Forums turns its hate on cartoons

It started with some butthurt kid applying and not being good enough to get in, so he went on a screed about how they were ruining animation, and it took off from there.

Sup Forums doesn't have anything better to do

when you have nothing, find something to get worked up over

rcdart is a stuck-up bitch that will probably never do anything upon graduating other than making shitty fanart anyways.

Found the paid shill. How much of a grant did they give you?

How many times did your application get rejected?

I never applied, because I have talent.

That reminds me that Dobson went to Calarts, graduated and now is a unemployed loser while his classmate is working on Disney

Attached: dobson avatar.jpg (400x400, 37K)

>California

I need no other reason to hate it.

Yet here you are.

Yes, because I can afford to waste my time on bums like yourself. Reminds me why I should be thankful I can do something with my talents, be paid for it, and not have gone into debt to fund a school for bean faces.

People want one source to blame problems on.

Are you trying to spam this in the hopes it catches on like people did with pic related?

Attached: 1cead2e2de15f59dd22866a506b7d791d2929064998826ba851272fd8fda2960.gif (512x512, 305K)

Instead of blowing hot air, how about you show us some good shit.

At least its not the one that tries to use sans as an example,good grief.

Attached: 1520828755576.png (533x866, 346K)

Attached: 1515307081723.png (389x626, 94K)

Attached: 1518551817052.jpg (640x480, 67K)

Attached: radicles1.png (780x581, 105K)

Attached: kylo ren1.jpg (888x821, 40K)

I hate the style that's named after them, not the school itself.

Attached: Finn1.png (1182x1139, 152K)

I get that artists get blinded by their own fetish and that can lower the quality of their art, but I just dont understand how anyone could look at this compared to their previous abilities and think it in any way is an improvement

Sorry, I don't want my work stolen. DMCAs are a bitch to deal with.

Give us an original sketch then

You going to pay me $1500? I don't work for free and bitch that I'm in debt.

Attached: Not sure if straying further from the arms of Our Lord.jpg (600x508, 258K)

Oh boy

Yeah, I'm so sure

Look, regardless if you'd pay me or not, I still wouldn't do. I have nothing to prove to you. You're a hack that went to CalArts because you thought it would make you into the next Disney, Jones, Martin, or whomever the fuck you look up to and fail to replicate because you don't fucking realize that art can't be taught entirely. It still takes this thing we call talent. Some have it, most don't. Even those that do don't always make it. I've been lucky, but I also haven't been stupid and blew thousands of dollars on a piece of paper that's barely worth $.50. Realize that you'll never be special, that CalArts was a mistake, and move on to something you are actually good at, snowflake.

I'm not even the same user, I just know you're full of shit.

Right, tell you what, let me put into a shitty picture from the Internet so you can understand better.

Attached: 1432407878383.gif (301x454, 2.25M)

>Kylo Lin
Man. These people are awful and still draw better than me. What the fuck? Can I just hurry up and die. please?

Man, you ain't done shit. You're just a liar more stuck-up than rcdart talking about talent like someone with delusions of grandeur. At least Calarts kids know to be modest and commit themselves.

Yeah, commit to the worst school ever, complain they are broke because they went into debt, and expect everyone to hire them because "MUH PAPR." Sorry, but the truth sucks as much as it hurts. So, get your head out of the clouds and return to reality before you commit suicide.

You just said that you are in debt

So, reading is also your weak point. Man, you're really going to fail hard after CalArts.

Y'all know that the Calarts face thing comes from a John K. blog post from 2010 and doesn't refer to anything identified as "Calarts face" now, don't'cha?

johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/cal-arts-style.html

What kinda peabrain thinks that you come out of animation school with a diploma and nothing else?

CalArts may as well be the only animation school in America if it means less idiots are exploited by shitty for-profit schools like AI and SCAD that don't have a clue.

Because you come out of CalArts with a paper and nothing else. No talent, nothing new, and an expectation that you'll make more money than you can stuff in your pockets when your pockets are so shallow thanks to the debt you've created. CalArts is the ITT of the animation industry.

Because they're an afternoon's drive from every Hollywood studio. Disney threw money at the school in the beginning because they wanted a talent farm close to home.

Other schools might get one "portfolio day" a year where someone from Disney or Dreamworks flies in to evaluate their stuff.

Yeah because all that time spent on making short films, demo reels and portfolios of actual technical drawings account for nothing, right?
And neither do all the instructors that have a reputable list of credits nailing into you head that you'll never find work as oppose to places like the Art Institute where the instructors ACTUALLY coddle you into thinking you can do anything when they're total failures that just want your money.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. You wasted your time and money to be viewed as a hack in "your" industry because you can only do what you're "taught" and can't create a new piece of work. Sure, you can write a new character, but that character looks like the hundreds that we see infesting television right now. You know, the bean face. When that loses popularity, you'll copy the next popular thing. You are a high level tracing "artist" that is just above what a trained monkey could do.

>art can't be taught entirely. It still takes this thing we call talent.

This is how I know you're not actually a working artist. Talent has almost nothing to do with art as a career. Reliability and being able to work with others is more important than "talent". No one wants to work with a talented asshole. Especially one who thinks learning and practice is some sort of myth.

Oh, please, tell me how I can make my career so much better by being nicer? Oh, lord, whatever shall I do as I continue to make money and work alone? Oh my God, I am so humbled by you. How could I haven't seen the light earlier? I was such a po' foo', lawd help meh. Fuck off.

your career doesnt exist, you're full of shit, you arent an artist, you have nothing to prove of your skill and so you just keep digging yourself further into your own grave

>CalArts is the ITT of the animation industry.

>Not Ai

I don't prove anything because I don't have to. I have no obligation to do anything for you, let alone show you my work. You hate me and spit at me because, deep down, you know I'm fucking right.

Who do you make art for if you work alone? You don't talk to your client(s)?

you arent right, you arent an artist, you're just here to shitpost

I do speak to clients, but they either go in expecting my style or they aren't referred to me.

So you're saying that an animation artist is incapable of independent thought? That says more about you than the ones that have it made.

>Dobson went to Calarts
This simultaneously is and isn't surprising.

There is so much more that needs to be communicated when receiving a commission than what style it should be lmao

John K was talking about the main style of the school back then which was Milt Kahl/Don Bluth before Pen changed everything with the popularity of AT, aswell as his contemporaries around the same time that drew in similar styles and were on Flapjack (Quintel, Hirsch, McHale, etc)

So instead of Disney imitators you got AT and Rebecca Sugar imitators today. Much worse.

OK, I'll concede, I do talk a little more than say "pay me and wait until I'm done." However, clients come to me expecting my style, not a copy or ripoff of someone else's style. I don't do that and that does limit who I get work from. I make my living and am rather content with it. I'm not a millionaire, hell I don't even make over $150k. I might want to one day, sure, but I'm happy with my life and lifestyle. I don't have an animation studio staffed with 5 or 10 animators. Don't want it, I'm happy as I am and working for myself. I am happy with the select people who I call clients, a few regular, some not so much. I make a living doing what I desire to do and don't have to rely on others except the clients who pay me. If they disappear, I'll be pissed, sure, but I'll find a way to make money. If I have to be a drone, as CalArts tries to train you to become, so be it. I'm not going to dwell on it. Just realize that a piece of paper with their logo on it isn't a guarantee of a job and never will be. You still need talent, originality, and above all an attitude to not be afraid to tell others to fuck off when they offer you pennies for something you should be getting dollars for if you're going to make it and make a living at it.

>this thread

Attached: 1412045768174.jpg (125x125, 4K)

He didn't.
Dobbie went to MCAD

American animation does have a sick obsession with rounded edges and the fill tool.

>Yeah because all that time spent on making short films, demo reels and portfolios of actual technical drawings account for nothing, right
Pretty much, yeah.

How many of them become animators? Not many. For one, most CalArts films are barely animated to begin with, you could literally get away with an animatic as long as you finish it on time. And for those few that actually can draw and animate, where do they go? Outside of Disney/Pixar and maybe DreamWorks, there's not many places in California that need animation talent since all of that shit is done overseas now. Hell even DreamWorks is outsourcing their CGI. And doing pencil tests for CG movies isn't a lucrative job, just ask Eric Goldberg.

So that leaves TV animation and obviously you can draw like a retard and still get a job as long as you have a CalArts degree. Even self-taught indie comics guys are able to be hired for storyboarding jobs but if you draw as bad as them while having a CalArts degree, congratz you get the job.

I've even seen what portfolios get accepted and most people who get accept draw like ass. Which is not surprising when you see who approves portfolios for their character animation program:
frankrause.tumblr.com/

The Golden-Age animators didn't even have the benefit of going to specialized art schools, at best they had cartooning correspondence courses and very basic art programs at certain colleges. Yet even with all these advances in technology and information they still draw better than the white Californian kid with a 500k student debt.

Attached: 1455418370558.png (1120x618, 996K)

>So that leaves TV animation and obviously you can draw like a retard and still get a job as long as you have a CalArts degree. Even self-taught indie comics guys are able to be hired for storyboarding jobs but if you draw as bad as them while having a CalArts degree, congratz you get the job.
You forgot that your whole argument was that CalArts wouldn't help you get a job and slipped into "damn CalArts kids, easily takin' jobs from us REAL animators!" for some reason.

its possible some of them don't necessarily think the new drawing is better, its just a thing to do on tumblr to post what your work looked like then and now

and they're probably still perfectly capable of drawing in the older style if they wanted to

>The Golden-Age animators didn't even have the benefit of going to specialized art schools, at best they had cartooning correspondence courses and very basic art programs at certain colleges.
You neglect the fact that these golden-age guys had a lot more professional opportunities and experience prior to getting involved in animation. Disney and his contemporaries all came from advertising where they could develop their skills and were paid better than animators are now. What ad agency today has any use for a draftsman or concept artist when they can composite a bunch of photos and models together and render it on a computer for less?

Isn’t that final space show like 100% not cal arts? And I’m sure Steven universe has a non-cal art animation director

dying

>tfw dropped out of art college because class felt like heating up a microwave dinner and cutting in the lines
>and its less effort to actually do some insanely neat and creative project on your own then some shitty exercise that won't teach you as much

Attached: 1509300832764.gif (221x196, 410K)

Redpill me on the fill tool. What is so bad about using it? (Unless you're referring to how American cartoons don't do much shading now.)

It also messes up the thickness of lines, which can make a shape even more round than it needs to be

Yo wtf they got worse, y bros

Anyone have that one image where some famous (I think Japanese) artist visits Cal-Arts and is appalled at how shitty it is?

I can guess that they think its an improvement on how dramatic the style is, but the change is bad nonetheless.

I can't speak for everyone here, but
youtu.be/rkAznG5Vz1o

Rebecca Sugar didn't go to Calarts and neither did most of the people she hired.