Steven uniberse

so let me get this straight
we get pic related as the promo but
>"Letters to Lars"
>Steven writes letters to Lars about all the latest news in Beach City.
>"Pool Hopping"
>Steven and Garnet explore the most unlikely timelines in Beach City.
>"The Big Show"
>Steven shoots a documentary that follows a local band as they get their first big break.
>"Your Mother and Mine"
>Steven takes Garnet to meet his new friends.

why is this show such a cocktease with actual plot

Attached: diammonds.jpg (450x430, 21K)

Don't worry. There will be a big plot point in the last thirty seconds of the last episode of the bomb.

yea but dont worry op, everything will go back to normal and we will have another 20 townie episodes ;-)

I mean, the summary for Catch and Release was about Steven's bathroom and we got Peridot, but yeah the new episodes will probably be filler shit, maybe the Garnet one is about her meeting the off-colors but the leaked Lapis episode is nowhere to be seen

>that pink diamond

I know this show's storyboarders and artists are complete fuckin hacks but c'mon now

Attached: 1492318519371.png (643x361, 195K)

As much as it is painful will most likely happen. That is what SU has turned into, a whole heaping of boring with something interesting lightly sprinkled. At least Pool Hopping sounds promising

Attached: 167B1CFC-2932-48F9-8BB2-C632CD6B7A51.png (1280x1024, 349K)

watch steven's new friends be onion or some shit

People complain about the lack of garnet
and the off colors being one dimensional jokes
and how lars's parents didn't get screen time for their son missing
even how shallow mystery girl is

They give 4 episodes covering all of this and the whiny piss babies still immediately crawl out the basement. Reminds me how people insisted jungle moon was going to be filler with lapis appearing at the last minute to bring steven back to earth.

Pool hoping does look promising but the phrase "in beach city" worries me

Attached: Flurite_by_artesveil-dbawrx3.png (323x500, 60K)

>>They give 4 episodes covering all of this

Yeah, then we go on hiatus until later Summer.

Good job.

5 episodes of filler and 5 seconds of actual interesting plot, then we go into hiatus for all of spring and summer.

GREAT SHOW SUGAR, 10/10, KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT SUGAR FUCK

Attached: capcuck and evangelion.jpg (1152x634, 62K)

I'm okay with filler as long as it has gems in it and isn't just focusing on stupid townies

Attached: 1517716344173.png (964x1332, 372K)

>Townie shit, townie shit and even more townie shit

Attached: 1520717367185.gif (500x281, 1.16M)

I hope we see her again, though.

Attached: Angry Little Drop of Water.png (742x1070, 460K)

disgusting

Likewise; the stakes have gotten so high the city characters are practically irrelevent now.

Really, who cares about Sadie and the Cool Kids? Unless they can help Steven against the Gems (which they can't), why waste time on them?

According to Sugar's demented logic, unless we see townies for 80% of the episodes we won't care about Earth and its people being potentially destroyed and the gem threat will become pointless.

What's wrong now?

>two townie episodes
Whats the fucking reason at this point?

Attached: C4B0FC8F-1426-4701-90F9-82E20F2CFA10.jpg (168x164, 19K)

Last I remember was Lars died and revived and Steven goes back to earth. Did anything interesting happen, or did the writers go back to slice of life shit?

the show is coming to a close, if you really hate townie shit these episodes are a good thing, because they're ending the plotlines they've set up. which means that we're not gonna get townie episodes after they're done..

>sadie and the cool kids are getting a band together and that fulfills sadie's and sour cream's arcs
>lars is growing as a person and is a space pirate instead of beign a twat. he's growing as a person and his arc is ending
>the mayor isn't the mayor anymore and is probably actually doing better without the stress. his arc is ending.

they gotta finish the townie arcs to move beyond the townie arcs. think of it like eating your vegetables before getting your dessert.

Attached: billnyecon.jpg (300x301, 73K)

>People complain about the lack of garnet
Never saw that complained, but okay. But if they are going to do something with her, don't make and how lars's parents didn't get screen time for their son missing
the episode in which that got featured, showed them complaining for like a minute, the rest was "Major Dewie sucks at a major, let's help him!"
>even how shallow mystery girl is
ONE mention of her does not equal "covering her in one episode" and even that one mention isn't even confirmed to be about her, it could very well be about yet a new townie character

>Did anything interesting happen
5 episodes of retarded Connie drama to showcase how horrible Steven is for not taking her with him on a "magical adventure" on Homeworld.
1 Zuke episode with wooden dialogue, off-colors being 1-dimensional irritants and new antagonist being memed into oblivion as soon as she's introduced.
1 great episode with cool art and crumbs of lore at the end (Pink Diamond debut).

My expectations will be forever low after the trainwreck that was Lars of the Stars.
The show's on "I just wanna see the ending" status.

I could deal with that if not for the bomb format. Steven Universe in in I think the 4th season. In 1 season or if not half of that it needs to just clean finish the story too much dragging

Normally good shows do this, and even Steven Universe was able to do it occasionally in the past, by mixing this with the supernatural plot heavy shit. Not just ignore the plot for 5 episodes to focus on townies.
Yes, it IS difficult to do that, but we're talking about an actual professional cartoon, not some deviantart or newgrounds webcartoon.

The problem is the townie episodes have hardly any plot line to begin with. Outside of Lars and Sadie, or Onion and his family, none of them have anything to contribute to the main story. They just "expand the world" but at this point plenty of them have had at least one episode to get a feel for who they are, and for character's like Mayor Dewey or Kiki, that's really all they needed. It doesn't help that the majority of these episodes are boring. It's too late to care.

How long has it been since any of the Crystal Gems did anything? Too fucking long. But because Townie episodes and Gems have to be so divided, they don't have anything to do.

I love Steven Universe, but spending all this time to develop a town that really needs no more developing and forgoing the one thing people are still watching for is a horrible decision. And the Bomb format is a complete disaster.

Attached: 1504362993714.gif (228x211, 267K)

Yup. I have seen all those.
The order is a bit strange after Jungle Moon and LotS, though.
Unless this is kind of a time jump affair, using the letters to go develop the town a few months and see how his disappearance impacted people.
Thinking about it, he just went off and died as far as the town is concerned.
Think about it. He is so far he may as well be dead and not resurrected.
This episode could be structured to show the town dealing with the loss, since Sugar can't actually straight up kill people on CN.

>Townie episodes rarely have the Fems interact with the human inhabitants anymore
Amethyst at least broke the mold there; with the meme barn gone I was hoping more of her and Peridot interacting with Townies along with Steven, not 'Steven interacts with X while the gems are gone most of the episode!' bullshit that we've been getting.

If we're getting Sadie and Lars relationship stupidity, why not involve Garnet in this shit? Why not have Pearl out more after Mystery Girl and meeting new interesting people she previously dismissed? God damn there's potential there without forcing half of the main cast into a fucking box!

something that has always bothered me is that the gems don't give a shit about protecting humans, they only do it because of rose
garnet only wants a place to live as a fusion, hasnt interacted with a human in the hole series (aside greg)
pearl only does what rose said, openly belittles humans, has interacted with 2 (pink hair, connie)
amethist only knows earth and has 1 human friend
they have been on earth for 1000s of years, and yet barely have had reasons to protect humans until steven

i dunno if anyone cares or might want this but i have a rip of aivi's soundcloud before they ditched everything and only kept a few tracks up. this adds up to about 196 songs. some are random things like animal crossing music, but the majority is su songs/bgm. i've combined and maintained this since su started airing and i realized that they (used to) put their music on their sc page after an ep aired. so these are as raw as of files as you'll get. none of the tags or anything have been touched. if theres any interest, i can upload what i have.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (496x594, 75K)

we are not simply talking about 5 random episodes, but about a stevenbomb
those are supposed to be lore heavy, and end with some whole aspect of the series having changed thanks to some new information
granted, thay haven't still aired, but they show no promise in that aspect

Ironically enough Pink Diamond seemed to have been the only Gem that genuinely ever cared about the welfare of humanity. And if she isnt in fact Rose, then Rose shouldnt even count because her rebellion essentially doomed humanity all things considered.

Attached: 1519607592355.png (854x512, 382K)

Her rebellion doomed the resistance gems
Humanity got along fine

yes please

They were never "supposed" to be, it was just a good way to fit in all the plot shit. There's a reason we had an entire bomb dedicated to Steven and Connie """""""breaking up""""""".

Pool Hopping seems interesting. I don't really care for the others based on description alone, but SU has tricked me before.

We'll see.

Attached: 1521422917217.jpg (806x718, 110K)

Wawawawait is this legit? Do we really get a f'ing midget for pink diamond? Is sugar is really that beyond salvation?

Attached: 1518046053146.jpg (420x410, 17K)

You don't get it, if they progress the plot at all then they have to either end the show or come to with new more plot. If they do that, they cant milk the show forever.

Well, keep in mind that often these episode synopsis aren't very revealing, given by the example of when peridot was first featured without limb enhancers.

Do it nigga

14 episode until series finale .

Well yeah, remember the flashback?

I miss pearl.

Im calling it now, some kind of weird future vision bullshit where we see a lot of what if scenarios with the the residents of beach city.

Like 22 short films about springfield but only 11 minutes and way way duller.

Attached: simp[1].jpeg_quality=95&w=650.jpg (650x410, 95K)

user season 6 is already in production.

Never go full townie...

What baffles me the most is how Steven conveniently forgets about the last episode revelation, only for him to help Dewey at the donuts.

>Like 22 short films about springfield
I'd love to see SU do a parody of the Skinner & Chalmers bit.

>can't straight up kill people on CN

From what I can recall there are a few cartoons where characters have died on CN and other channels. Both secondary characters and antagonists. If she wanted to she could technically.

Why some gems care about crapish male hero, if you're writing Rose is not PD?

Don't forget that our "QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!"

Well, it was drawn by a fat fetishist, for one.

This shit. Why are we spending time finishing the arcs of townies when nobody gave half a shit about any of them or their arcs to begin with? I honesty, truly, wholly do not fucking care about Sadie. I do not care about Sadie's problems, I do not care about Sadie quitting her job, I do not care about Sadie starting a band with the Cool Kids. I do not care about the fucking Cool Kids.

They are tertiary characters. Mildly entertaining when used as props to play against the Gems, and useful for little else. They do not deserve focus, and they sure as fuck do not deserve their own episodes.

This is a really good answer, this is basically the problem with townie episodes.

Shortstack =/= fat
Get your shit straight.

Apologists will often say 'that's the point/flaw in the crystal gems and the series is trying to get them to act more human and care about people' but I think that line of thinking is stupid because most of the CG's problems are only addressed or solved because Steven said something and not of their own accord.

For example Ruby and Sapphire only stop fighting during the Pearl rape arc, not because what they were doing was property damage to several people, businesses, and bad for Greg and Steven and everyone around them, but because STEVEN was upset and crying to make them stop. They didn't care about anything or how their argument affected other people/humans, but once Steven started crying they finally addressed shit.

It's ridiculous how many years and episodes go by and the gems still only care about themselves or just Steven. Even Peridot seems to care more about the earth than they do. I'm not saying they should instantaneously start caring but a little change doesn't hurt especially if the SU story is about them becoming more human which apparently is the best thing ever.

Pull your head out of your ass. She is a shortstack, dipshit, but the artist drew her fat as fuck. Look at all the disgusting fat creases and rolls all over her goddamn body.

>"Will we be getting more useless townie episodes?"
>"They can't make a Steven Bomb worse than the last one, right?"
I don't know. Looks like all my questions will be answered.

My eyes!

Attached: 1496473208050.gif (200x233, 248K)

I never complained about any of this. Garnet has been a shitty character since the end of season 1 and she's better off not doing anything or just dying.

Pearl is the only crystal gem that's still interesting and yet she hasn't gotten an episode since that lesbian mystery girl one. What the fuck?

It's gotten to the point where the crystal gems come off as creepy because of that. Well, like, Pearl is neurotic and shit, and Amethyst at least interacts more with humans, but Garnet has been a total brick in terms of relatable character traits. And all of them have gotten worse over time.

Shit, remember when the characters had subtlety and depth? Remember how good episodes like Rose's Scabbard were? What the hell happened?

Buddy, Rose's Scabbard was anything but subtle.

In eight months when the hiatus is over.

>five pointless townie episodes shat right into your mouth
>then you get NOTHING until the fall
Why do you SUfags continue to put up with this shit?

>"Letters to Lars"
If it means more Lars character development I'm down

>"Pool Hopping"
This one sounds really good actually, Future Vision is one of my favorite S1 episodes.

>"The Big Show"
Meh, we'll see

>"Your Mother and Mine"
No idea about this one either but it sounds like it could be ore than just a Townie episode, likely a setup for a Garnet arc with Pool Hopping

>in the last minute and a half, they suddenly jump into "what if Rose Quartz had never rebelled?" and get a brief glimpse of colonized Earth, but it ends before we can see very much

but thanks to all these townie episode, I want to see them die

god, the show has it's own issues, but CN can go fuck off for all the shit they pull

>repeatedly use the same old "ANSWERS!!! THE TRUTH!!! IT'S FINALLY HERE!!" gimmick multiple times for promos
>made the trailer for the app bomb look much more intense than it was meant to be as a cooldown arc.
>only air the show in bomb/special formats, with 2-6 month hiatuses, and no reruns in between
>lower the animation budget so lineart and board fixes have progressively gotten worse.
>leaving fans in radio silence for months

Its not ending user, even then these characters shouldnt get so much focus to begin with. I dont care about the cool kids or any other towns member and neither should the crewniverse.

Attached: DFA28848-A6AE-4195-A3FF-F94E3E5CA760.png (1307x845, 906K)

How do you set out to make the audience care about characters, but end up with them hating the characters instead?

It is the point of that, but sadly all the fillershit with townies keeps no time to explore the ralationship of the gem to the humans in general

That's easy;

Having something that is infinitely more interesting in the same story.

Had the townies been in another show, they might've done better but the hate stems partially because they're a barrier to things people want in this story. It's not just a problem with SU. Many other series have hated characters because they prevent something that the audience wants to happen, and it's especially annoying when the audience knows that it's the author's own hand that keeps them there. Like a pet or child nobody wants to see but the author keeps them around anyways because they have a personal attachment to them that gets in the way.

The townies also aren't unique relative to other characters in fiction. There's nothing interesting or compelling about them. They're just middle class people doing middle class things with no interesting perspective in the world they're in. And many of the human characters don't react to things the way a normal person would. They're tools to show an idealized and naive view of humanity that barely effect anything in universe. It creates a cognitive dissonance to a degree; they're too normal to be interesting and too unrealistic and uninvolved for the audience to self insert into them enough to counter that.

A similar problem is happening with Craig of the Creek in that the show is too realistic to find it entertaining in a fantastical way, but too unrealistic in terms of characters to make it insightful or enjoyable in a relatable way.

>but sadly all the fillershit with townies keeps no time to explore the ralationship of the gem to the humans in general

I mean in my example I emphasized that they COULD have explored the relationship between gems and humans ala Ruby/Sapphire learning to care about other people's opinions. But they're so focused on Steven being the all important Messiah of the plot (despite episodes devoted to saying he's not special) that even when they do have the time and ample opportunity to include the gems and their effects on humans they just DON'T.

Most filler could have involved gems. They have the time. Gems have a lot of powers and interesting perspectives that could add something new to Sadie's problems or Lar's parents problems whatever. But the authors just choose not to utilize them and keep gems segregated. Even if they could use Steven to drag the gems into doing mundane tasks.

No one would care about townie/filler episodes if the show had a real fucking schedule and didn't nigger around by posting teasers about "big secrets"

But when we hear literally fucking nothing for MONTHS, get a week of townie bullshit, and then nothing for MONTHS.
It's complete faggotry

this

this too

Well the Crystal Gems themselves aren't exactly flawless specimens. Amethyst is the most amicable but has deep self esteem issues and will always ultimately lean towards Gem perspective to curry the respect of her peers. Garnet is literally an addict and is primarily concerned with her addiction and doing anything and everything to enable it. Pearl is a plain teetering on the edge of madness. Bismuth was actually psychotic and driven completely by revenge. Lapis is entirely a lost cause.

Of all of them only fucking Peridot would probably refuse to put Gemkind over humanity in their ultimate calculus; and she is a neurotic mess. Interestingly, she is the only one who actually ever truly made a choice about her allegiances except for Rose Quartz(mysteries permitting).

But given those circumstances, why would they ever start caring about humanity? If anything given all we've learned so far about the Gems, they are more or less machines incapable of change. And if the Rose=Pink Diamond theory actually turns out to be true then potentially all the crystal gems were never really making an conscious decision but being twisted between their own matriarchs in an internal spat.

Attached: 1518125658257.jpg (600x731, 124K)

BASED SUCROSE

>Garnet is literally an addict and is primarily concerned with her addiction and doing anything and everything to enable it.
I'm not really sure if you can acknowledge that as a character flaw unless the show itself does.
Garnet's fusion addiction is really a writing flaw, which comes off as a character flaw, because of, well; shitty writing.

It seems pretty clear that they really don't want to bother having an overall plot. It is only there to form the setting then back to quaint townie episodes.

They should have just kept the story small and local. Then only focus on townie episodes alone, then no one would be expecting huge space adventures each 5 months bomb we get.

What a great post.

Attached: 1501333763762.gif (480x360, 787K)

I really think its the 6 month gap between episodes that makes this so much more frustrating. Of we got a regular season and every 4th or 5th episode down the line we got some more space lore stuff it would not be a huge issue. But right now we only get it one episode per year between the massive gaps in time between bombs.

Respect is earned, man, and you're not going to earn anybody's respect being that way. Just saying.

Thing is, most people don't care about the humans anyway no matter how many times they appear

I thought I got used to disappointment from all the time I've spent watching anime but this is just soul crushing. The fucking hiatuses make it 100 times worse.

Attached: don't care.png (500x270, 267K)

its people like you that I dont get. You think not showing Lars' parents being told about Lars was worth seeing? Fans act like theres a profound story somewhere in the muck, they pretend that Sugar cares about the characters and characterization, and the one time it would be absolutely justified to focus on a couple of townies, to show the parents have an emotional reaction to their son disappearing, to really play on emotions and feelings, they skip out on it. All we see of his parents are them tearing up, the rest of the episode is about Mayor Dewey and then the remaining episodes are about Connie and steven being morons.
wtf.

fucking delusional

Exactly what I was thinking, people do not care about the townies because this is a high concept series with a lot of lore that draws interest but the townies are disconnected entirely from it. They actually stand in the way of the interesting things people want to see. Each time there is a townie episode people get pissed off because they know the lore stuff is not going to be seen this time. It's like two completely separate shows with the same title competing with each other.

If the townies were at least relevant to the space lore then it might actually be interesting, but for some reason they need to be kept apart from it. The town itself is located on the site of a major alien battle and a thousands of years old ancient temple built by aliens. It should be incredibly easy to have townies also included in the major plotline. They all know the aliens are there, they never left, they interact with them fairly often, they were present when a giant hand attacked the city, when the oceans receded into space, when a giant six armed woman fucked up a restaurant. Everyone knows Steven is half alien. But for some reason all humans totally ignore every last fantasy event until you have to wonder if there are Men in Black erasing memories every half hour. It's weird for them to be that fully disconnected and only live perfectly normal ho hum lives when Steven comes around.

Attached: 1472627719744.png (680x619, 241K)

wheres the official statement on that?

you are lame

this show has been garbage since day 1. makes me sad to think people are only now beginning to criticize anything about it.

The voice actors started recorded lines for it in February

Lars hasnt developed at all though. How the fuck do you die and get resurrected on an alien planet and still fucking care about the "cool kids"
If Lars had cried because he missed saddie and just came out about it saying " guys i love her i miss her" that'd be some development.
To have lars seem all "bad ass" but reveal he hasnt changed at all is not development. Its bait and switch.

I wouldn't exactly say naive, because it isn't like all the city characters have these perfect lives and nothing's ever gone wrong for them.

They all have their fair share of trials and tribulations, but therein lies the problem; they've dedicated so many episodes to dealing with the issues of these irrelevent characters that the true issue with the Gems is shoved to the side.

As much as I love Steven Universe
The fact that CN is putting them in huge hiatuses with barely little to no announcement, makes me not lose interest, but more like, forgot the show even exist and the only things that really remind me of it is the art/fanart that appears time to time

Attached: 1477944999862.jpg (1300x1570, 1.68M)

Who knew Pearl was a White Nationalist

Attached: 1488325600973.png (1000x900, 860K)

More cushion for the pushin'.

Yeh