Ridiculous amounts of Bendis writing

>ridiculous amounts of Bendis writing
>the Riddler became an edgy Sherlock who looks like a leprechaun
>Tom King desperately trying to turn Kite-Man into the new Mr. Freeze ("look at how sympathetic and tragic he is :(") and shoving this stupid ass character in every issue
>villains were randomly assigned sides just because (somehow, the Joker got fucking Solomon Grundy to work for him)
>even though they're all villains fighting, nobody ever kills anybody (the Ventriloquist survived fighting against the Killer Croc)
>for some reason Batman, with all his wealth, resources and training, is competely ineffective and cannot BTFO a bunch of powerless supervillains
>even though he actually manages to put the Joker, Riddler and all the other villains under his roof, Batman is cannot think in a trap or a plan to defeat them
>Batman then puts on an extremely stupid gambit, where he actually sides with the Riddler to defeat the Joker
>in the end, it was all a convoluted plan of the Riddler to make the Joker laugh or some shit
>Batman only snaps and tries to kill someone because of "le sad kite-man :(" and not because of all the countless people who have died due to this war
>this nonsense was dragged on for 6 issues, nonetheless

Seriously, as bad as Selina defeating three Flashes is, War of Jokes and Riddles was one of the biggest piles of crap DC has ever published. Tom King will hardly ever top his worst work.

Attached: War of Jokes and Riddles.jpg (1280x1969, 544K)

I feel like this arc did a bad job at Tell don’t Show, it feels like it needed some one shot tie ins to show us the skirmishes and battles between the factions, sadly they are giving tie in issues to the wedding which really doesn’t need any tie in issues.

>sadly they are giving tie in issues to the wedding which really doesn’t need any tie in issues.
The tie ins are written by Seeley, which means they could be good. They could also be mediocre like his Nightwing, but they could be good.

King actually did just fine, the problem is that what should have been a larger event had to be compressed into just one book. This should have been King's Death of the Family, an epic saga that spanned multiple books that tells the story of one of the most devastating events in the history of Gotham. We don't really get to see how destructive and damaging the war is, nor do we get a feel for the impact it's had on the city. It's a bare-bones story that's entirely devoid of meat because there's no room for it.

In the end, the Ballad of Kite-Man was still good though, so I'm satisfied with the arc. The only truly irredeemable part of it is Janin's """art""".

>Seriously, as bad as Selina defeating three Flashes
That's just your autism, power levelfag-kun. Cat Sue is dumb but its not as bad as an entire arc being moronic.

Seeley is 100% mediocre.

>ridiculous amounts of Bendis writing
What does that even mean OP? You're just spouting buzzwords.

The riddler should be written like an edgy Sherlock Holmes.
Better than just being a glassjaw jobber.

He had some really great issues of Grayson. He seems to specialize in character relationships, so these tie-ins could tap into that

Don't kid yourself, King's Grayson issues were much better.

The problem with King's writing is that he writes "le kool EPIC moments" and then trues to write the rest of the story around them.

And we can't forget about Janin's lifeless "art"

Attached: RCO019.jpg (1041x1600, 320K)

>The problem with King's writing is that he writes "le kool EPIC moments" and then trues to write the rest of the story around them.
No, no I wouldn't say he does.

>tfw, in an alternate universe, we could've gotten SeeKing on both Batman and Nightwing
>tfw both writers would be able to balance each other out and make Dick/Bruce shine

I'm also 99% sure that King becoming a fat tub of lard has made his writing worse, too.

The fuck user? Are you stalking him or something.

to be fair "just spouting buzzwords" is a buzz-phrase in and of itself, and a mighty reductive one here and in general usage. he provided many more points that you didn't address.

also as for the bendis speak "FIVE WHOLE DAYS" and "batcatbatcatbatcat" would suffice.

I find the riddler committing physical crimes and being in any way "imposing" to be the biggest flaw. Why would a man who can hold his own in a scrap become monomaniacal about outsmarting people? It's completely unexplored and for no other reason than he needed to be intimidating enough to get a "crew" which was pointed out by OP as being absurd as well. The whole "the gimmicks team up to fight each other" wasn't given any clear motivation beyond what seemed like 'those might look cool on page together' and the entirety of the "war" took place across like 6 or 7 spreads and resulted in the death of innocents instead of the people at war.

>got fat
>bought into his own hype
>started taking lessons and advice from Waid and Johns
>kept working with awful artists
>editors got scared into never saying no to the golden boy
Dan Jurgens is one of the geniuses of the medium xD

>Why would a man who can hold his own in a scrap become monomaniacal about outsmarting people?
Because he wants to be the smartest guy in the room. Just cause he loft doesn't change that motivation.

>Because he wants to be the smartest guy in the room
you'd be a terrible writer if you think that's good enough reasoning for making the riddler a clean shaven connor mcgreggor with a knife.

Why the fuck is that bad writing?

Aside from autistically saying riddles out loud, he doesn't do any riddley things. He doesn't leave out clues, he doesn't make traps, he doesn't make any smart deductions to gain the upper hand. He just engages on fighting the Joker like a regular gangster.

Because you touch yourself. You ever hear "you wouldn't know good writing if it hit you in the face"? it's an expression made for people like you.

I like Buff Riddler better. I think a scrawny unimposing nerd Riddler is actually worse for the character because nobody would take that seriously and he just becomes a fucking loser.

You're wrong because he does. His whole war against the joker is him outsmarting the Batman and The joker.

it's bad writing because characters in literature serve a function and Bane is the character that was created to be the mental and physical equivalent of Batman. Riddler is supposed to be a mental challenge but was basically given bane's MO to a lesser degree and with none of the backstory, apparently it seems, in order for him to have a crew.

if you can't see why that doesn't alter his function negatively and for no good reason I don't know what to tell you. it was to the detriment of the story so it's not like that's even an applicable excuse, even if I find it particularly weak in general.

It's like taking Mister Mxyzptlk and turning him into a Doomsday type brick which I have no doubt king would find a phenomenal idea.

Can you not explain your fucking postition? You can't just say it's bad you dumb idiot.

up voted, my friend :)

scrawny villains aren't scary at all. i think all villains should be buffy. pic related is the ideal Joker

Attached: Titan_Joker.jpg (768x1348, 217K)

You're just too dumb to understand.

>nobody would take that seriously and he just becomes a fucking loser
which is exactly why he goes insane and obsessively, sociopathically, needs to prove his worth by belittling every last living person with his riddles. Gee, it's almost like good writers thought that one out throughout the years.

he should absolutely be pathetic when apprehended. That makes batman beating him that much more fucked up which means he needs to play it soft on the guy no matter what he's done.

King's entire Batman run should be retconed, just use Doctor Manhattan.

>Riddler is supposed to be a mental challenge
But he never fucking is so his one fucking defining trait is usually null and void and he gets knocked out.
Fuck your brain vs brawn bullshit user, it's unimaginative and it doesn't lead to any good stories

That's a big Joker.

Or you're too dumb to explain.

>outsmarting the Batman and The joker.
Except King invalidates that when he has Nigma turn to Batman and use and pointedly say "not everything is about Batman", even though if this is early years Batman then there's no reason he should even have that perspective, but either way he then goes on about how the whole thing was to solve the "riddle" of how to make a slightly grumpy Joker chuckle through the super clever act of staging a slapstick self-defeat at the hands of another buffoon who totally isn't just involved because King's kicking his spurs to the dead horse he's riding to the finish line.

>for some reason Batman, with all his wealth, resources and training, is competely ineffective and cannot BTFO a bunch of powerless supervillains
That's literally been Batman for decades. Or at least since he started fighting and winning against world ending threats.

Which hasn't absolutely nothing to do with riddles, and just makes him the umpteenth keikau master in Batman rouge gallery.

>scrawny villains aren't scary at all
Well they're not. There's no tension to the story and that's exactly why the riddler got sideline as a Batman villain.

Bat-Cat Bat-Cat Bat-Cat Bat-Cat Bat-Cat Bat-Cat

You act like he's not a villain designed to be defeated by the hero.

I did and you definitely had time to refresh the page in the time you typed that to see it did. but you decided the shit post was worth responding to.

>But he never fucking is so his one fucking defining trait is usually null and void and he gets knocked out.
>bad writing exists so king writing a bad story that's different is cool
>I won't explain why it's good or better I'll just say those stories I didn't read are unimaginative
>fuck literary technique turn your brain off bro
>but at the same time isn't Tom King like the best writer of all time

fuck you.

this is why I hate Kingfags. Defend the shitty writing decisions or tell me it's all shit and to turn my brain off. I'm sick of being told it's great with no explanation and hand waves or other times insults.

I did. You've clearly decided the shit poster is more engaging.

>Except King invalidates that when he has Nigma turn to Batman and use and pointedly say "not everything is about Batman"
It doesn't, if anything it's the highlight of the story because Batman got played like a fiddle.

>reading comprehension

A villain should be threatening.

That's exactly who the riddler is you idiot.

He doesn't need to be a good hand to hand combatant for that.

So every other Batman villain has to be either smart and weak or dumb and strong just because of Bane?
>if you can't see why that doesn't alter his function negatively and for no good reason I don't know what to tell you.
So it's my fault you don't actually have an argument?

It helps. Certainly doesn't detract from the villain if he does, espeically a Batman villain.

King is a dumb writer

So will King at least make Selina superhuman to explain stuff like this. Just rip off Marvel and give her luck powers, at least then you can handwave this bullshit

>It helps
Not at all.

>bad writing exists so king writing a bad story that's different is cool
So far I'm not convinced that making the riddler not a scrawny nerd is bad writing and you really haven't convince either.
>won't explain why it's good or better I'll just say those stories I didn't read are unimaginative
The implication is pretty clear, it's better to have a villain that doesn't constantly end in an anti-climax.
>fuck literary technique turn your brain off bro
I don't think I ever said turn off your brain or anything like that.
Stop being a child user

No, but you probably shouldn't do two bane arcs in a row and then turn the riddler into a smaller name with knife and a penchant for almost-riddles.

>Riddler is guy whose gimmick has absolutely nothing to do with riddles, and is just very smart gangster.
Yeah, no.

>No, but you probably shouldn't do two bane arcs in a row
Why not?

Yet you haven't proven it's good.

It did end in an anti climax it very literally did.

I simplified the crux of your argument.