So did Bill Watterson hate capeshit?

So did Bill Watterson hate capeshit?

Attached: 862BF541-8C96-448D-9F90-4EF431DE9287.jpg (600x419, 190K)

Yeah but who cares

I love Calvin and Hobbes but Bill is a sissy

Sounds like he had good taste if anything.

Bill is a sissy but capeshit is indeed shit

No, why do you get that impression?

From this strip, I think he's just pointing out the hypocrisy of accepting/overlooking violence in one medium and spurning it in another.

Exactly this.

Damn he would have drawn some great super hero stuff

I kinda wish he had done a full-on Tracer Bullet book or something.

You're right, but there are other times when he criticizes the banality and mindless violence of cape comics, which is a perfectly valid criticism in 90% of titles

ACCORDING TO WATERSON HIMSELF:

He says he has no specific problem with superhero as a genre.

HOWEVER

He does hate ALL comic books.

He has explicitly said that the point he was trying to make with that comic was that "comic books can never be good". He gave a speech at some convention in the early 2000s where he reiterated the same point.

For some reason he thinks the comic STRIP format is just fine, but that the comic BOOK format is inherently shit and can never be anything other than shit no matter what.

That's spot on for how many popular comics were at that time
I don't know how he would feel about capes as a genre, but his criticism of where the medium was in the early 90's is not unfounded

I can't imagine someone who has a clear love of pulpy stuff like noir film (Tracer Bullet), space opera serials (Spaceman Spiff), and B-horror movies would inherently dislike superheroes as a fantasy genre

That is a very odd viewpoint. Maybe he thinks something you have to go to a store and pay for to read is inferior to a newspaper strip that essentially everyone gets? Or that you can't tell a meaningful story in a serialized format? I don't know, neither of those really make sense but I can't figure out why he'd think that

Attached: pouchwave.jpg (1224x1872, 640K)

/thread.
Now I'll leave you faggots to another shitty thread of "LE CAPESHIT IS SHIT XDDDD"

It's completely hypocritical and makes literally no sense whatsoever, but that's his opinion according to the man himself.

Oh yeah that's what he ment
What's his beef?

>He gave a speech at some convention in the early 2000s where he reiterated the same point.

This is the most unbelievable aspect of your story. Bill Watterson avoids the public eye as much as possible, to the point where I've only ever seen 2 or 3 photos of him, ever. I can't imagine him giving a big speech at a con. Post a source.

Not ComicCon. Some "cartoonist" convention or something like that. There was even some comic artist that attended and ended up doing a blog post/rant complaining about Watterson saying comic books were shit.

That's pretty weird, but I can see where he's coming from. How many comics can have you read where the cover is (for lack of a better word) clickbait and the last page a blatant lie of a cliffhanger? A whole fucking bunch, I bet. I can see how the limits of time and length could stunt a comic's potential.

Maybe he prefers graphic novels?

Dude, it's pretty well documented that Watterson hates comic books. He's well known for it. There's a reason why he licensed C&H for a new comic strip, but has always refused to license it for a comic book. He HATES the medium and wants nothing to do with it.

No, and he explicitly dismissed the concept of "graphic novels" and called them "stupid".

I agree that it's weird, I agree that it doesn't make any fucking sense, but the guy just fucking HATES comic books. He thinks strips and multiple-page-format-comics (read: comic BOOKS) are completely different and not-the-same-at-all.

No
What's hard to understand the man only ever loved the strip

It's kinda offputting, wonder where it stems from

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 7K)

Why did my image come out so small

This sucks

>"comic books can never be good".
He's 100 percent right.

Watterson is babby's first "separate the art from the artist". Guy is a fucking loon.

Dude your brains growing too big for your body

Look at the size of the image the [number]x[number] declination. You want at least 500x500 for the most part (obviously depending on the image)

It's not the sentiment at all that I find unbelievable, that sounds a lot like Watterson to me. It's just the idea of him giving a speech at a convention. THAT doesn't sound like Watterson.

>He HATES the medium and wants nothing to do with it.
So why does he associate himself with Angoulême?

Attached: imrs.php.jpg (1484x1667, 426K)

I doubt that's the case, it's clear that he's criticizing the rising trend of edge and violence in Cape comics around that time. And he had every right to, it got ridiculous by the time the 90s rolled around.

are you trying to argue with ants ?

An argumant, if you will.

there is nothing wrong with what ant bill waterson said
the quotes was commentary from this strip. and this is from the 90's when comics were maximum edge
he is stating how you can make a character as edgy as possible but at the end of day he is still a man in spandex trying to stop a doomsday technobabble machine.

Attached: calvin.jpg (500x700, 111K)

What makes you say that?

>She thicc
That thong line

Attached: 1520822105253.jpg (480x542, 37K)

Never happened.

Amazon a cute. I'm claiming her as my uber obscure waifu.

Attached: 12337E1C-AF40-4982-9207-F45A110DE2B4.png (399x126, 15K)

The shit in this thread about how he hates comic books despite loving them and writing them for a living?

>"Comic books can never be art"
>Having once made the statement above, I have declined all opportunities to enlarge upon it or defend it. That seemed to be a fool's errand, especially given the volume of messages I receive urging me to read this novel or that and recant the error of my ways. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that in principle, comic books cannot be art. Perhaps it is foolish of me to say "never," because never, as Rick Wakeman informs us, is a long, long time. Let me just say that no comic book fan now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form.

Attached: 1035x730-wattersonfinal1800-1402160992.jpg (1035x730, 191K)

>according to an anonymous poster on an Icelandic spelunking discussion site

Attached: art.jpg (1867x641, 359K)

>it's an user Can't Into Reading Comprehension episode

I love Waterson's work but the man is a bit of a pretentious fuck. He spends his days now doing oil paintings and watercolour landscapes and then burns them once he's finished because... art.

I have more respect for that than people taking literal garbage and calling it art, then selling and exhibiting it.

I don't, because at least those people have the courage to showcase their work. Not that I really believe the rumor that Watterson immolates canvasses.

Attached: .gif (500x270, 955K)

What if you make a painting of a cartoon of a painting of a comic strip?

That wasn't Watterson, that was Alan Moore