Why was Aquaman so much more successful than Namor despite them being almost the exact same characters?

Why was Aquaman so much more successful than Namor despite them being almost the exact same characters?

Attached: file.png (472x254, 312K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hgkHZ77yZBQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Aquaman came first and his outfit is way less gay than Sub-Mariner. Also, Aquaman is a better name than Namor, the Sub-Mariner

Aquaman was a double edge sword in ways. Always being made fun of definitely hurt but at the same time it kept him in the eyes general media and viewer.

Cause Marvel didn't care for Namor and gave him little to no stories.
While Aquaman becomes a cultural icon because of his lame powers and superfriends appearances.

Aquaman wasn't made fun of until Family Guy shit. OP is asking about golden and silver age popularity.

Superfriends

Because the public perception of him makes you want to read him and then you learn he's actually a pretty cool character.

While Namor is just irrelevant and nobody cares about him really.

Aquaman doesn’t have stupid knife-ears.

Imagine a 2 hour movie of Namor being bitter cunt to everyone

They weren't originally that similar at all except that they were both merpeople, that's like saying the Golden Age and Silver Age Human Torch are the same character
Namor was missing for almost a decade while Aquaman continued uninterrupted into the Silver Age

Aquaman is a more conventional Superhero, is a founding member of his universe's big hero team, and wears pants.

So a Batman movie?

Nah, it was Super Friends that made him the butt of all jokes. Family Guy makes fun of that version.

Superfriends didn't really do it. The problem was when the joy was lost and people referenced it out of cynicism. That came later.

But again OP is asking about stuff before that. How he was even popular enough to get on Superfriends.

>successful

aquaman is popular for being a joke.

Aquaman didn't come first, Namor predates Aquaman by 2 years, but other than that you're correct

>Superfriends didn't really do it. The

Fuck off underage faggot.

Yeah, he was still fairly popular, but people pointed out how useless that version was.

youtube.com/watch?v=hgkHZ77yZBQ

He had been just behind Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman for years. There's a reason he survived the Golden Age and was put on the first JLA
It's hard for us to imagine now, but picture what it was like way back when, before Marvel was even a thing. Most of the superheroes faded into obscurity after WWII and the trinity + Aquaman and Green Arrow were the only ones anyone knew about

Surprisingly Aquaman is better in cuck drama than Namor

Attached: Aquacucks.jpg (1942x1444, 1.22M)

Dolphin is literally the biggest thot in the sea

Aquaman has an actual superhero outfit. Namor wears a gay little thong.

Aquaman's primary motivation is balancing the responsibilities of two worlds, being a hero to the surface and a king to Atlantis, being responsible for both but accepted by neither.
Namor's primary motivation is whose sloppy seconds he can pick up.

You tell me.

aquaman doesn't dress in a ghetto-ass speedos like some french faggot

does namor ever do anything on either world?

Arthur's not a complete douchebag. Simple as that, really. It's one thing to have the whole hero or villain gimmick, but Namor is a jerk about it, so he can be hard to like. Arthur is a much more approachable sea king.

One can cure autism an the other can't

Attached: Aquaman (2003-2006) 011-003.jpg (983x1237, 486K)

He did, like in the 80s or something. Fighting polluter companies and stuff.

that would be awsome if they did it correctly. i don't want to hear him moralizing to other heroes about how pollution is hurting the world. i just want him to say, "It's my ocean, fuck you" and destroy pipelines and such. shitty marvel writers would fuck it up though

The problem is not Dolphin. The problem is Arthur. He doesn't deserve Mera. At least Namor was loyal to his two wifes.

Attached: Aquaman (2003-2006) 036-004.jpg (1972x3032, 1.39M)

Aqua-man was a hero while Namor is a villain like 90% if the time

Circumstances I guess. Namor succumbed to Timely Comic's fuck-ups, and when he came back there wasn't much of a creative force for him beyond making him a Fantastic Four bad guy.

Aqua Man did well enough in the 40s and even after the superhero fad wavered in the 50s, so he got a spot on the Justice League. And then you have that loop where that Justice League status fed his book sales.

I don't remember much, but the first thing I recall him doing was bringing treasures from underwater and buying some fancy-ass apartment in New York and setting up a company to sue Roxxon or something like that. I'm sure it escalated in butt kicking for goodness.

The series was written by John Byrne and had the same problem as his Superman work, in that most of the villains were in no way a match for the hero.

I remembered it being written and drawn by Byrne, but not much besides that. Was the characterization decent, at least?

It was Mera who blamed him for the death of their son and ran away. They weren't in a relationship since the Bronze age. It was Mera who was riding underwater BBC, but attacks Arthur for getting along with another girl.

>They weren't in a relationship since the Bronze age
They were in relationship in the first post-crisis mini
>It was Mera who was riding underwater BBC
What the fuck are talking about?

I think DC just made another Namor

Attached: Aqua-Man of North Korea.jpg (1988x3056, 1.61M)

The first and second post crisis minis were retconned away by PAD, who decided to continue the Bronze age storylines with some retcons.

>What the fuck are talking about?
I think he's talking Noble.

Ok. Yes. First mini was retconned. But Giffen's mini wasn't.

hero groups and hardly any bad press as a hero

Aquaman was largely known as the useless Superfriend, while Namor was known as the not so interesting Fantastic Four villain.

But largely, one appeared in a variety of tv shows in the 70's and 80's while the other only appeared for a total of about 4 episodes over 3 FF tv shows in 20 years, as a villain.

Cartoon Network was making Aquaman sucks bumpers before Family Guy came out.

They had one where he was saying out loud how his powers to talk to fish is not helping, with Wonder Woman rolling her eyes at him.

I'd say he's closer to Ocean Master.

Guess you never heard of Seanbaby and his Superfriends comics that appeared in EGM each month. He shit on Aquaman's uselessness in the mid 90's

One appeared in Hanna Barbera cartoons for a couple decades, the other did not.

Marvel really never has fleshed out Namor with a supporting cast much at all. There are too many writers that are hung up on his being a recurring FF character and they always undo any development to make him another guy that invades New York every other week.