It's said that comics are "modern myths"...

It's said that comics are "modern myths", and I was wondering what mythologies you guys like being used as a basis in comics. The big two often used are Greek and Norse, as seen with Wonder Woman and Thor. Is there anything else in those mythologies you wish to see more of, or would you prefer more comics pulling from say Egyptian or Chinese mythologies? New Super Man seems to be doing a bit of the latter

Attached: MYTH.jpg (2326x1552, 496K)

Some beaner will start to shill aztec bullshit in this thread. But fine, OP, i don't want anything more, most modern writers are morons, the head of DC doesnt know the difference between romans and greeks even after doing a comic about mount olympus. They are lazy, ignorant and in general learn their shit from pop culture, so no, i don't want any other mythology there's very few morrisons or gaiman and too many johns and bendis.

Christian mythology can be pretty entertaining.

I think the depiction of angels in Bayonetta is the closest to the source material that I've seen in a lot of media.

Well aren't you a ray of fucking sunshine

Attached: Ya Know.jpg (400x400, 30K)

More satantic mythology with the goetia
Talmud
Christian mythology.
Adam and eve
Cain and able
Jesus judas peter and lazarus
David and goliath

Neil Gaiman covered this pretty well did he not?

More Egyptian mythology would be pretty cool. Beyond what like they do in relation to Black Adam.
I'd like to see Superman chill with RAAA.

You know how there were a shit load of those movies in the 90's and early 2000's depicting Christian mythology in the modern world, like The Prophecy or even some shit like Constantine, usually ending up being some shit like an angel in a trenchcoat and hood with two desert eagles fighting crime or some lame shit like that? Well I had this idea for a story which was essentially the same concept but using Islamic mythological concepts, specifically the concept of the Jinn and the Hashashin. The Jinn were how Islamic theologians interpreted early pagan Arabian ideas of genies, and interpreted them as demonic fire spirits, the leader of whom refused to bow to Adam in the garden and acts as a Satan like figure scourging mankind.

I actually came pretty far with my idea, storyboarding a few scenes and ideas from it. At the time, I was obsessed with what the geopolitical state of the Middle East was and the Islamic State, so a lot of it was just my wild fantastical take on those things. Long story short, it was essentially about a Jinn who enslaved the soul of a man and used him as an assassin for his Machiavellian goals, this man being the protagonist and his story being about freeing himself from the Jinns power

Attached: 6a00d8341c630a53ef012876c8409e970c-300wi.jpg (300x436, 25K)

I wish we had a proper King Arthur one

Attached: 2165910-king_arthur_by_genzoman_d34hawp.jpg (695x900, 139K)

DC had Shining Knight before. Wouldn't mind to see a Thor time only with Excalibur

I dislike Wondie being pigeonholed as "the mythology character" but I do like the idea of her interacting with the heroes of other pantheons, like that shitty Godwar arc in Eric Luke's run

I'd really like to see her meet Siegfried or Brunhilde. I've had a story idea for the latter for some time

Ancient Sumerian and Babylonian mythology would be really cool.
I'm pretty sure Vertigo stuff makes good use of Abrahamic lore in general and since DC is integrating Vertigo concepts into its main universe I guess you could say its at the forefront.

>Ancient Sumerian and Babylonian mythology

Way too much cum and piss drinking for modern audiences to handle

>Way too much cum and piss drinking for modern audiences to handle
Like Scandinavian mythology is any better?

Attached: 1500307352237.jpg (1034x732, 428K)

This sounds really cool user, did you finish it?

Zoroastrianism?

Isn't Greek mythology mostly based on Earth, Norse mythology wins by default for me, I love crazy fantasy stuff and different worlds.

Greek and Roman mythos are basically the same, just change the names of the gods.

How do you make an action/adventure comic with Jesus?

>I'd really like to see her meet Siegfried or Brunhilde

Did you know that Thor was Siegfried or Sigurd and Valkyrie was Brunhilde, and well she still is.

KeK why can't Diana do this, I would actually pirate her comic for once.

...Bibleman? Which speaking of, is there a non stupid way to do Bibleman?

Green Lantern is based on Aladdin. Which should be pretty obvious but these days most people only know the Disney version of Aladdin which has the magic lantern but leaves out the magic ring.

Superman is based on Jewish/Christian mythology, specifically Moses.

Native American mythology is pretty cool. You rarely see America used as the setting for fantasy stories, and the tribes had all sorts of Gods and spirits running around. Evidently ancient America was such a crappy place that every tribe had their own trickster god who would run around messing with people. Napi, Coyote, Nanabozho, Blue Jay, Raven, Iktomi. The Navajo have 3 of them.

Speaking of Navajo, there's a tale of the Hero Twins, Monster Slayer and Born for Water. They literally have a guy named Monster Slayer and he goes around hunting monsters. He's basically a super hero with a whole backstory and powerset just ready to be used and no one knows about it because everyone keeps going back to Norse and Greek mythology. Branch around people!

Attached: image56.png (640x862, 142K)

There was that one woman that was in Aquaman and The Others with shaman powers, and Marvel has The Wendigo. Although I do miss Apache Chief, who is probably gone forever

Attached: DCAU Ultimen.png (1210x796, 765K)

I only ever finished a few pages of an establishing scene. I was trying to establish definitive contrasting imagery between the Jinn and his Hashashin slave. The scene was essentially the Jinn entertaing guests in his opium den, dressed in opulent purple and gold robes hanging out with degenerate whores and lowlives, transitioning to him going into his secret prison cellar where he has his slave sleeping on a bed of knives as a meditative practice to keep him disciplined and focused at all times. I just thought the contrast between opulence and severity was cool

I was actually just reading an essay on the native American lore pertaining to giants they claimed they lived with and fought against and it was all very vivid and dramatic

what's wrong with that dumbass

did you also grow up reading the book Flying with the Eagle, Racing the Great Bear?

Was it a comic or a screen play of some sorts?

Make him like pic related

Attached: 39C2F90C-87C2-4067-A06C-9842D9F3BF8E.gif (500x190, 982K)

Imagine if Batman had a Jesus-themed villain (like a Christian version of King Tut or Maxie Zeus):

>equipment that allows him to walk on water
>chemicals that "raise the dead" (zombies)
>traps involving crucifixion, spears, crowns of thorns, whips, grails with poisoned wine, entombing people alive, etc
>skilled swordsman ("I have come not to bring peace, but a SWORD")
>12 disciples/mooks (including a "Judas" who ends up siding with Batman and the Police)
>a female sidekick named Mary Magdalene
>escapes from Arkham every third day after being incarcerated

Attached: IMG_2741.jpg (877x620, 338K)

Why do comic always show that Greek and Norse are way more powerful than any other mythology? They aren't even at the top of the mythology power ranking.

Familiarity? Design? What other pantheons do you suggest? Many others are more ideas and elementals than humanlike character.

Literally Who?

The hindu mythology. The chinese mythology. Those two are way more powerful than any of the greek or norse ones. But they still make it look like greek and norse are the top dogs.

>Chinese mythologies
Would Jackie Chan Adventures be more fitting for Marvel or DC?

Aren't all omnipotent characters by definition equally powerful? How they demonstrate their powers may be more or less impressive but otherwise is there any reason to make Vishnu more powerful than Zeus? Although he's the only one of the Greeks who's internally referred to as all-powerful, so it might still be true that the Hindu pantheon as a whole > the Greek pantheon.

Because other than the God in the abrahamic religion, none of the other gods are actually omnipotent.

I wanted it to be a comic

>Passion 2: The Harrowing will never be a thing

Attached: 14581314591.jpg (500x425, 223K)

>He doesn't know about the sequel

Wonder Woman? From the greek mythosphere? Not one thing have I seen from her that justifies her even so much as sucking a clipping from Zues's little toe.

>He thinks the Abrahamic god is Omnipotent

Iron Chariots > Abrahamic god.

She'll be fucking her dad Zeus sooner or later

Well the way she dresses obviously that's what she's down for.

But I've no awareness of why she's supposed to be from the greek pantheon. Could be a half-mortal, yeah, Zues dicked near on all the things, but she's never evinced the character strength of a demigod.

So you've literally never read anything related to Wonder Woman?

Meh. In passing. But no background. Probably a DC tedium matter.

Glad you had fun coming in here and showing off how retarded you are.

Point is, you can't brew up a character and insert them into a mythology where they don't belong. The mythology has to have the things that handshake with the character.

WW has little to nothing to do with the greek pantheon. Where's her lasso come from? Legendary item like that should have reference, some mention like the hades helmet or hermes shoes. Oh. There's no lasso of truth in greek myth. It's BS.

Or her clothing choices. Ought be she girds for war if she's on campaign, but no, her super costume is more something one who'd use sex as a weapon would wear. Athena would facepalm like anything. BS.

Further, she's been molded to fit modern mores. The Greeks had a different take on the duties of gods and demigods.

So yes, maybe I don't know the comics on WW, what fudges they've inserted to excuse her not being Greek. But I do know Greek myth, and WW? Doesn't belong. At all.

I would still recommend actually reading Wonder Woman so you can form a better argument

>DC had Shining Knight before
They still do. SHe just showed up in the new Ragman mini.

Evangelion and K6BD also have neat and relatively accurate depictions of angels.

Yeah and if she was actually chronologically accurate she'd wear a veil.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen those two pantheons being portrayed as more powerful than any others, they just show up more because they are better known in America.

Camelot 3k is cool but probably totally inaccurate

She's made up as are her items, you know that comics don't have to recycle everything from mythology.