Why are so many of Superman's "best" comics either origin stories or elseworlds?

With a small handful of exceptions, almost all of the stories you see pop up in any Superman recommendation list are either some retelling of his origin, or an elseworld with a twist; why is that? Why do most of Superman's in-continuity stories have such a hard time reaching the popularity of other similar characters' comics?

Attached: superman.png (288x384, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Action-Comics/Issue-13?id=6456
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because people don't like reading in-continuity stories, it's why most of any heroes stories are, the only in continuity ones that do become classics are those that are separated enough so it can be read regardless of whether or not it's part of continuity like the killing joke

Because Superman is a boring fucking character and those are the only ways to tell an interesting story about him

Really that goes for every DC hero

Even then. Most characters, especially ones of Superman's popularity, have a ton of runs that people say you should read. Superman has Johns. Yes there are other good runs he's had in the past, but they're not held up nearly as highly.

Because you don't read comics and don't know what you're talking about.

>anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't read comics! It's impossible that someone coudl have read decades of Superman and just thought most of it wasn't very good
This is what Superfags sound like to everyone else

Again, it's because people don't want to read long stretches of comics, people barely read comics, it's why the movies and TV shows are so popular, you get the stories and charcaters without the icky feeling of reading an actual comic. If you can pick up one self contained story then sure, but a 6 year run? They'd never read it
He's talking about what's generally considered to be his "best" stories regardless of how good it actually is, it's like how Watchmen is touted as the greatest thing the medium has ever produced even though it's not even Moore's best work

I think part of the problem is that he doesn't really have many contained runs with their own numbering in the same way as many other characters do. It's more "this writer wrote issue #285-365 and #385 of Action Comics which you can find in three different trades" than something you can just easily tell people to go read.

>Forgetting Alan Moore's goodbye to Silver Age Supes

>Forgetting Byrne's run

>Forgeting Steve Gerber's run

>Forgeting Mark Millar's Superman Adventures run

>Fucking forgetting Elliot S! Maggin's Run on the character

>it's why most of any heroes stories are
For comparison, I googled "best Batman comics" and grabbed this from the list. Even ignoring TKJ because of your qualification, 9/15 stories are in-continuity comics

Attached: batlist.png (1125x833, 66K)

John's run isn't as NEARLY as brought up by people as Byrne's.

Once again, you don't know jack shit

>He's talking about what's generally considered to be his "best" stories regardless of how good it actually is, it's like how Watchmen is touted as the greatest thing the medium has ever produced even though it's not even Moore's best work
Except he's wrong anyhow. Moore, Byrne, and Jurgen/Stern get more recommendations than fucking John

>Alan Moore's goodbye to Silver Age Supes
Even that is an "end of Superman" comic akin to TDKR. Yes it was technically in-continuity, but it might as well be out of it since you can't continue from there

>Byrne's run
The most famous part of Byrne's run that everyone loves is Man of Steel, which was an origin story

>Mark Millar's Superman Adventures run
Not in continuity

Did you ever think that perhaps the Superman recommendation lists could be entry level reads for people just either getting into the character or perhaps just getting into comics period? Superman has a ton of quality stories, as he should, since he's been around for nearly 80 years now.

Maybe should branch out and read some more? One of my favorite Superman stories is "Under a Yellow Sun by Clark Kent". And as a new father, his current Rebirth run in Superman has been very entertaining and enjoyable.

Not that guy but I'd say "in-continuity" in this case refers more to it being actually part of a larger narrative
Your list also is about the best stories, as fans know them, not the most famous and widely read ones

Most of Superman's best stories are in-continuity as well, but few people will actually read most of those

By popularity, the most famous Batman stories would be Killing Joke, Year One, Hush, TDK, Arkham Asylum, and Long Halloween. Even though all but one of those is or was part of mainstream continuity, they're largely unconnected to the rest of Batman's mythos and are read on their own. Far fewer people have read through NML or Knightfall than any of those, for example

Since you're clearly just baiting for in continuity Superman stories, read Godfall.

Attached: AC 813.jpg (400x630, 44K)

>check thread
>superfags getting really defensive and claiming mediocre runs are amazing
like poetry

>Yes it was technically in-continuity, but it might as well be out of it since you can't continue from there
You can't be this retarded. That's what endings are FOR retard.
>The most famous part of Byrne's run that everyone loves is Man of Steel, which was an origin story
False. They recommend the entire thing. Origin Story included.
>Not in continuity
Sure, ok, but the Maggins one definitely was, and you willfully ignore that shit

>(You)

>He's talking about what's generally considered to be his "best" stories regardless of how good it actually is,
No

He's talking about all the stories that are recommended to new readers that want to get into Supes.

It's a starting off point, and they're taking it as if those are the best stories in turn.

If we want to make a new recommended list I would recommend Action Comics 13
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Action-Comics/Issue-13?id=6456

Especially the short A Boy and his Dog

What a way to start a comic

Attached: face.png (307x339, 173K)

yeah New 52 wasn't always the best in some areas, but let's get a story time going

Attached: 00.jpg (1920x2951, 1.27M)

Attached: 01 alt.jpg (1920x2951, 1.24M)

Attached: 02.jpg (1920x2951, 1.23M)

Attached: 03.jpg (1920x2951, 743K)

Attached: 04.jpg (1920x2951, 1.01M)

Attached: 05.jpg (1920x2951, 1.42M)

Attached: 06.jpg (1920x2951, 921K)

Attached: 07.jpg (1920x2951, 1.04M)

>Why are so many of Superman's "best" comics either origin stories or elseworlds?

Because those are kept in print easier because of their self contained nature.

and no one thought of comic books as worth saving and remembering until recently. maybe eventually you'll see people reccing certain volumes of those Golden/Silver/Bronze age DC omnibuses/paperbacks.

Attached: 08.jpg (1920x2951, 631K)

Attached: 09.jpg (1920x2951, 817K)

Attached: 10.jpg (1920x2951, 814K)

Attached: 11.jpg (1920x2951, 932K)

Attached: 12.jpg (1920x2951, 1.17M)

It’s easier to examine iconic characters like Superman and Batman in a self-contained story. Origin and elseworld stories are wrapped in nice, neat packages that are easy to find and easy to remember.

>288x384 image size
Pleb.

Attached: 35B5E6A7-EF24-4694-8BA7-01CE942ADCD3.png (1200x1600, 1.3M)

Attached: 13.jpg (1920x2951, 899K)

Attached: 14.jpg (1920x2951, 1.07M)

Attached: 15.jpg (1920x2951, 1023K)

Attached: 16.jpg (1041x1600, 419K)

Attached: 17.jpg (1920x2951, 1.06M)

You made this thread yesterday with the same image. Was babby mad that people blew you out with actual examples rather than just taking the bait?

Attached: 18.jpg (1920x2951, 999K)

Attached: 19.jpg (1920x2951, 1.14M)

Attached: 20.jpg (1920x2951, 854K)

Superman "I'm gonna save the dog"

Attached: 21.jpg (1920x2951, 1.01M)

Superman "I saved the dog"

Attached: 22.jpg (1920x2951, 1002K)

Easier to jump in, same as most characters where their best stories are origins, else-words or sold as individual storylines as trades.

That's the end of the main story, but I'll post the back up story too because i love it more than the main story

Attached: 23.jpg (1920x2951, 806K)

now starts the story A Boy and His Dog
This was the one off back up story that tells Krypto's origin for New 52

Attached: 24.jpg (1920x2951, 1.36M)

Attached: 25.jpg (1920x2951, 1.25M)

Attached: 26.jpg (1920x2951, 1.37M)

Attached: 27.jpg (1920x2951, 1.38M)

Attached: 28.jpg (1920x2951, 1.46M)

Attached: 29.jpg (1920x2951, 1.37M)

Attached: 30.jpg (1920x2951, 1.55M)

let's end with feels

Attached: 31.jpg (1920x2951, 949K)

You could argue this is true for Batman as well. Why it works best for Superman in my opinion is that the rest of the DC universe holds him back and writers can't have him doing to much OP shit. Elseworlds don't have that problem

I'm surprised this wasn't a reaction image yet
maybe get rid of the word bubble

Attached: grab that dog.png (1646x815, 1.98M)

I miss wolf Krypto. He didn't even get an end just morfed into Labrador Krypto off panel

yeah it would have been cool if Wolf and Labrador Krypto merged like with New 52 and Pre-52 Superman

It's not true for either of them, you're just a tremendous casual who has only read standalone shit and then drank a nice tall cup of confirmation bias.