What do you think about this technology Sup Forums?

What do you think about this technology Sup Forums?
Is it better than wifi? I need a more stable connection for fighting games, would this be the solution?
Share your experiences with them if you have any.

As long as that circuit doesnt have microwave or other high draw products on it, they've worked ok for me

I have them, for now they worked fine, but somehow they daily lose the connection, and i literally don't know why. When i'm scrolling Sup Forums for example one time a day my connection blacks out.

>Is it better than wifi?
Yes. By far.
>I need a more stable connection for fighting games, would this be the solution?
I had much less lags in an mmo when I switched. So yes.

just run some cat5, wtf

Not everyone knows how to properly drop cables, terminate, etc

Why not just put all your gear in one room with an unmanaged switch OP?

It's complete shit, disconnects for no reason. Sent mine back a few days ago, it's meme tech don't fall for it.

YMMV. In my home I can't even get 1MB/s, apparently my wiring, altough new, is shitty, or the devices are.

if you live in an apartment or a 1 floor house its easy to just drill holes between the rooms. I do admit when I first did it I was scared shitless I would hit a power cable.

it's ok but decent powerline is expensive, and wifi is overtaking it, and for the price of one power line adaptor you could run cat 6e to all rooms in your house.

It's shit. Frequently disconnects, speed drops if the washing machine is on.
Use pins in pic if you don't want to drill holes /run cable.

Do you have coax in your house?
Check out MoCa. With decent modern crimp connectors and rg11, 300Mbit/s speeds aren't unheard of.

I bought my cat6 pre-made so had to drill huge holes through masonry brick to get the connector through. If you drilling through stud walls you can buy a detector to find wires and copper pipes.

>tfw ran cat cable around the outside of my house from the opposite side downstairs to my bedroom upstairs

It was a good choice desu but if you do this make sure the cable is capable of standing up to the weather or you'll have a bad time.

>I do admit when I first did it I was scared shitless I would hit a power cable.
Thats the reason why power cables are enclosed in conduit. As long as you're smart enough to stop the drill once you've realized you hit something hard which isnt the depth of the other sheet of drywall.

is this good enough for a network printer? pls respong

The ones I got with my internet box work fine, far better than wifi. Just put it directly in the plug without any multiplug for optimal performances.

it is

I use one and I love it. It is way better than fucking WiFi.

Is this accurate? That games don't use much bandwith?
In my case i really just need it to be stable, I doubt the game in question takes that much bandwidth.

Fucking this. Worst is when it happens during a game. Literally happens to me every day, 2-6 times, and I don't think anything else is on the circuit.

I finally gave up and went to wifi, even though wifi sucks.

I use it for gaming and would probably prefer it for "serious" gaymen (MOBA, fighting). But be aware it can cut out during a game and not come back for 10 seconds (lucky) or just shit the bed and kick you for 3 minutes. Sometimes when I unplug and replug the powerline adapter near my computer, it comes back sooner.

Works swell for me.

Used once with tplink 500mbps adapters

Has 100mbit switch. Wifi would get me about 30mb/s transfers while this got me about 9mb/s. Constant 3-4ms ping to first hop instead of

Drill some holes, pull a lan cable

you will be infinitely happier

If dont know how to terminate buy a cable thats preterminated. The store I bought it from had only terminate cables, so I cut mine in the middle so I could install two outlets and it just werked

Not as good as Cat5e in terms of anything really.
But it does get the job done, haven't had any issues and speed is roughly 300 mbit.
It all depends on how your house/flat is wired.

>rj45 crimping
It isn't really hard and not having to drill huge holes because of the connector sounds good.

Powerline works well for me. Electrical wiring must be somewhat modern for powerline to work. My house was built in the 1970s so my connection is fine.

I'm using it for my gaming computer because the house I'm in is more than 100 years old (plaster walls etc)

I have lower latency with these than I do 802.11ac, but bandwidth isn't quite as good.

I would definitely recommend them, but sometimes they simply won't work if your electrical is weird.

Don't use it on aluminum wiring, copper only.

Is there a reason you guys can't just run cable? Fuck, even if your house is all concrete I would rather leave that shit strewn across the floor than rely on WIFI or powerline shit.

in my case i'd have to go across the room, a floor and then a wall.

I would move

I'd recommend it if you can't have a router next to your PC.

>I need a more stable connection for fighting games, would this be the solution?
I don't even know what that is but why don't you just use an ethernet cable?

see

i use these a lot when doing camera instals for customers

they only work well if the house has new wiring and not a lot of plugs in between each end

I would beat the shit out of every PLC user.
t. ham radio operator

just install it yourself

100ft of cat6e is $20

electrical fishing wire is like $10

terminals and outlets are $5 total

cheaper than the powerline adapters

wat

What do ham radio's have to do with it?

Yes it does work well. Better than wifi, close to wired.

I rent a room in someone's house so this is my only option as they won't let me run cable. The speed is reasonable but whenever someone uses the vacuum or something that fucks with the current it needs to be reset or actually unplugged and put back in. Highly annoying when I'm running game servers through it and I'm away for a couple days with people bitching at me that it's down.

If you can run your own cables do it (tons of guides and videos, not that hard or expensive).

Get a better fucking house you plebs. PowerLine works well if you don't live in India

>Tie Ethernet cables to old phone cables
>Pull phone cables out of the wall
>???
>Now have Ethernet ports in every room

>tfw power cables are untwisted and unshielded
>tfw they pick up noise like crazy
>tfw they give off noise like crazy

Says the retard that too dumb/poor to just put in some cat5.

It gives a whole fucking lot of interference on HF. My local ISP used it, and it was impossible to listen even the broadcast stations, not to mention hams.

why not be ghetto like me and just fucking run them along the walls and ceilings and look like a hacker or some shit

How is it any more interference than just power going through powerlines?

Isnt the whole reason powerline ethernet works is that the signal is basically nothing compared to actual power going through the power lines?

Are you wired for Coax? These work very situationally, but MoCA worked WAAAAY better for me.

My friend got this from microcenter
I told him it was a bad idea
He tried it, agreed with me, and returned it.

I agree. I bought some cat 6 outdoor rated shit and had that ran

1GB LAN now

I had this years ago and it barely worked, it was not only slower than wifi but it stopped working often because of disturbances on the net, it was really bad

Been using it for years and I prefer it over wifi mine drops for about 30 sec once a day but other than that it doubled my speed and closest thing to hooking it directly

It did it as soon as I made this post

Get 50 mbs in a shitty old brit house.

Definitely worth

Just realized that poweline is the reverse of power-over-Ethernet.
What's next?
Hdmi over audio?

It actually exists.

what are those?

>running wires throughout your house
>trip over it in a fire
>looks fucking disgusting
>oh wait I'm on Sup Forums

Powerline is the shit OP. Perfect compromise between a wired connection and no wires running about.

Couldn't someone plug one of these outside, let say an outside socket and get connected to the internet?

>Couldn't someone plug one of these outside, let say an outside socket and get connected to the internet?
Connection is encrypted between the two outlets. You can't steal the internet but you might be able to sniff the packets just like any other network.

You can also use moca assuming you have tv cable running everywhere, just have to get compatible routers. I finally got cat v to my room after dicking around with a router in the wireless extend mode and couldn't be happier.

No, the next thing is RF over data. It's been in the works for years, as opposed to data over RF (a.k.a. WiFi, LTE, etc).

The problem with RF over data is that to recreate a signal with perfect resolution, you need twice the bandwidth, and twice the bandwidth of a 20 MHz channel on 2100 MHz is a shit ton of data (i.e. the downlink of an LTE AWS carrier in some parts of the world).

So in the world of cellular, everything is analog. All those cell towers and DASes operate analog. This makes the hardware (repeaters, BDAs, media converters, conditioners, etc) rather expensive and noisy.

However, if we could do it digitally... like how LMR (two-way radios) fairly recently went digital, we could do a lot more, a lot more efficiently.

(I'm an RF engineer.)

My house is fine. Still shit technology.

>all of these fucking retards that don't have every room in their house wired with 10gig fiber

LAUGHING
MY
ASS
OFF
FAMIGLIA

>tripping over wires pinned to the ceiling
Oh that's right you're a Europoor and your ceilings are 5'

Bump

Do explain more?

>drill holes
>run cat5/6
>crimp ends or put rj45 jacks in the wall
looks nice senpai

Get a wifi tripwire hybrid for even more badassitry. My whole house is fucking wired with full wifi coverage front and back porch for IP cameras

>tfw fell for wifi extender meme

>live in an apartment
>drill holes
I'm sure the landlord would appreciate that.

with wifi I was getting 47mbps
with internet over powerline adapter I'm getting 66mbps and I pay for 70mbps with my current plan

dont plug it into a powerstrip or powerbar or else you will only get 10mbps. I hear that things such as fans or anything that uses alot of power plugged in the same room will affect the speed, although I havent tested the speed while doing that

forgot to mention it is also useful as fuck for my windows 95 and 98 computers because they are in a different room. Can transfer files to them from my windows 7 PC over the network which is way better than CD / floppy / serial / parallel

My ethernet powerline is slower than my 802.11ac card (asus pce ac68)

kek turning router as wireless access point/extender is so much better than that, some router is cheap as fuck dude.

well when u shared bandwith between ac like gazillion people connect into 5ghz only it will slowing down the ac.

>installed cat6 with two ports in each room
>gigabit internet
>spend all time on 801.11ac

with a decent router I can't even tell the difference