Any solder tips or tricks?

Any solder tips or tricks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=65xFFrfF74o
youtube.com/watch?v=IpkkfK937mU
topledlight.com/aluminum-pcb-board-42-spots-82mmx66mm-for-cree-xpe-xpe2-xpg-xpg2-xte-led_p1635.html
nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/06AA01BA-FC7E-4094-AE829CE371A7B05D/NASA-STD-8739.3.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

soldering is fuckoing easy, if you need 'tricks' then your fucking useless and should just kill yourself

Yeah, I know but there are some fucking points to make your solder joint last longer. I'm asking about them.

TIN THE TIP, I REPEAT, TIN THE TIP.

just fucking leave you retarded piece of shit

Use quality tin wire, do not overheat, keep in the rated temperature ranges, have patience, make sensible joints with just enough solder to make nice solid connection. Don't be a moran.

youtube.com/watch?v=65xFFrfF74o

I always point beginners to this video. It pretty much covers everything you need to know.

Sure. You're bonding the metals so keep all metal surfaces clean. This means you scrape them up a bit with a knife and then put some flux on and then heat it the area and apply solder to the joint and not just the soldering iron. To tin the tip you scrape it down to bare metal and cover it flux when it's cold and then as it heats and smokes touch the solder to it and completely cover it with solder. Over time the solder will crystalize and will wreck your joints so repeat every so often. Your Welcome.

Judicious use of flux
Clean all the things that are being soldered
Don't use lead free solder
Read the nasa solder guidebook

youtube.com/watch?v=IpkkfK937mU

watch the video twice and practice

Soldering is easy.

DEsoldering can be a bitch, though. Watch some youtube vids.

what if the tin just rolls off the tip

it's too far gone then. buy another one

Anyone experience with reflow soldering?

I want to buy this board
topledlight.com/aluminum-pcb-board-42-spots-82mmx66mm-for-cree-xpe-xpe2-xpg-xpg2-xte-led_p1635.html

And fill it with Cree XP-G3s.
Anything I should know before buying everything?

Can I just use a skillet for it?
I don't have a reflow oven and a hot air pistol probably isn't too ideal for a 42 diode board.

I've looked up some tutorials, but there isn't anything indepth.

SOLDER TO NASA STANDARDS
nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/06AA01BA-FC7E-4094-AE829CE371A7B05D/NASA-STD-8739.3.pdf

I assume you've never tried to do tight-ass SMD soldering without a stencil.

Add more flux.

one time i recorded simple tutorial on GPU soldering, here you go

i also recommend looking for proper soldering examples on stockphoto, i think i had couple of them saved

i can't find any videos (man, those were fucking brilliant) but at least i found this fine example of soldering a sponge

>of soldering a dry sponge

What's a good Soldering Iron brand? I'm just using those generic ones that I throw away after 2 years.

Slight thread hijack. Solder station recommendations? Weller is fucking expensive but I'm afraid of burning my house down if I buy a cheaper knockoff

They should all be safe.

Premium ones just have better temp control.

Chink shit is fine for simple soldering jobs

hakko, although hakko should be in similar price range

if you're poor, buy something that looks like piece of metal combined with light dimmer - like this one. it'll warm up pretty long but it's pretty much unkillable, and more than enough for basic hobbyist soldering work.

I just died inside

Hakko is fantastic

Re-purpose a toaster oven. It's what every /diy/ guy is doing.

get your mom to help you

i wonder if i can solder displays with hotair instead

heat the pin, apply tin.
If you fail, it will look like a ball, if you succeed, it will look like a round tent.
Use air suction as breathing the fumes can be bad for you and the people around you.
Solder flux can make it much faster for you to solder, use it.

Use tin/lead solder, not lead-free. It's better for the solder joint, better for your health(the fumes in lead-free are toxic as shit) and it melts at a lower temperature.

I've been getting on fine with an Antex for the last few years. It's 25w, but does me fine. I've also got an Iroda butane iron, it looks sturdy enough, but I've never had a reason to use it.

You started out so well lel

Hakko in the US, Aoyue in Europe.

I own the Aoyue 937. It's a decent soldering station.

>Use air suction as breathing the fumes can be bad for you and the people around you.
Do you have any example of a such device that's cheap? I was thinking a filter and a CPU fan but not sure it's actually works.

Align those wires to be parallel to each other. Less solder, more contact.

I'm using a medium-sized fan at home - works well enough.

You are on the right track, but I don't think a cpu fan is powerful enough (depends on the length and width of the pipe, I recommend at least 300 CFM.
You basically need a pipe from the outside to the place where you solder. Then a fan between them, so it will create suction.
You can make your own for fairly cheap.

weird, I would have assumed lead would be worse
anyway, that's what I got because it was recommended for what I want to do (build a keyboard)

>weird, I would have assumed lead would be worse
There is no lead in the fumes, that's all flux. In tin/lead solder they use rosin flux.
For lead-free it's some chemical compound that's really bad for your lungs and the reason for that is that it's harder to solder and rosin doesn't really work on it.

Thank the EU for that bullshit by the way.
>muh lead bad

Just wash your hands after handling lead and don't touch your mouth.

>weird, I would have assumed lead would be worse
Using lead in the soldering wire helps to lower the temperature of the joint, thus shortening the time.

Remember to preheat the joint before applying the wire. Temperature differences are the most common reasons for the poor joints.

So why is lead-free solder used anyway?

Because it ends up in the environment after you throw the electronics away.

Lead came from the environment anyway.

make sure you always taste your lead, like an oil medium for painting, if it tastes bitter, its bad lead, if it tastes sour, its high quality.

No matter how much you want to don't lick the tip

you should add to your drinking water then

So, keep my current one and invest in tips is the better choice?

Forgive my ignorance, because I'm a noob.

How does that "temperature reduction" work in those cheap stations?
Does it mean that a "40W station" performs like a 20W iron if the temperature is set to half?

I'm asking because I have a 20W iron right now and it's too weak, drops the temperature too fast.
I don't want to buy one of those cheap stations just for it to work the same.

>He doesn't use lead pipes

>Does it mean that a "40W station" performs like a 20W iron if the temperature is set to half?
NOOOOOOOOOOOO
It means that the 40W will stay at that temperature better. You're giving away heat (so power) to the object in question. A higher wattage means your soldering iron will keep the tip at the set temperature instead of sagging. This is very important in bigger objects(or a power plane on a PCB).

lead is sweet tasting you dipshit

So how/where is the extra 20W "stored in reserve", if you know what I mean?

Are you serious? You draw power from the wall. There is no "reserve"

Literally what? Do you not know the difference between a watt (power) and a degree (temperature)?

I never suggested that.

If anything you illustrated the true nature of the complaint.
It isn't that it is going into the environment, but rather that it is going somewhere that will affect us.
Why we can't just say "it ends up in the water supply and poisons us" I don't know, instead it is all "it's poisoning the environment! someone please think of the environment!" bullshit.

you live in the environment... we all do

>450C
Extreme.

And like I said, lead is in the environment. So it uranium, oil and tons of other things that are bad for us.

They're just generally not nearby,

Nah, it's good for desoldering.

my bwatteries whave led :(((

you know how it works, you can't really solder sponge in low temps

>nasa solder guidebook

Where can I get it?

in this very thread

Already found it thanks.

Apply solder to the tip of your penis for best results.

You can use like a cheap pc fan and just power it by a battery.

You'll easily find examples on Jewtube.

You will be fine, OP.

Oh God I hope no one does this.

Actually on second thought, anyone stupid enough to do that deserves the burns.

hmmmm really makes you think

lmao
fucking cold soldering

Don't breath in lead
Use wood to clean the tip of your soldering iron instead of a sponge

Is she pretending to solder the cmos battery?

it's not that bad with hotair
you know, air is hot, metal isn't

His proportions look really fucking weird.

Neat. I guess I was always doing my solder wrong. The proper soldering method seems lot more intuitive and easier.

just made this

you racist?

nah it's just the awkward way his shoulder is turned

S W A G

fucking racist

nah more like small body big head

>soldering every thing works fine
>5 min break turn iron of
>after 5 min i heat it up again (it was hot soldering station had a display)
>the fucking thing doesn't even melts the solder at 450°

what is the problem?

did you tin the tip

This is really dumb.

With all the threads on Sup Forums, I would've thought the torch would've been unnecessary. I mean, it's an Nvidia card, after all.

i wanted to raise it up to its operational temperature

>Is she pretending to solder the cmos battery?
Yes. Stock imagery isn't allowed to be good.

stockphoto reference pictures are pinnacle of DIY howto